Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: So I bought an IPhone

My Dad turned me onto the app "Raindar". It brings up a map showing where all the rain is. You can zoom and move around the country. It's got a compass pointer built in so you can orient it to the lay of the land. It can be very helpful if you're rolling up to a wall of rain and want to see if there's a way around it, or how fast it's moving and direction so you can just sit and wait. Pretty handy...
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Don't get the fascination with I-Phone especially if on AT&T. I junked mine....

AT&T covers almost nothing except urban and densely populated areas and in places like that I really don't need what it can do- its just an extra gadget.. Here in NC it is very easy to get many places with no signal even as close as five or 10 miles from some of the states larger towns and cities and there are still dead zones within some cities. Trying to use one in the mountains is a joke...

Went minimalist carrying only a bare phone- lots cheaper- and a netbook for when I really need to do something on the web. Of course, I still use real maps in addition to a gps...

3. 08-01-2012, 01:40 PM

So are large data plans needed for the Music { Radio} and voice map directions ?
    Mike

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by racer7 View Post
    Don't get the fascination with I-Phone especially if on AT&T. I junked mine....
    It's always been true that you should go with the carrier that works best where you expect to be using the phone. I have no trouble with at&t in New England and most places in Maritime Canada.

I used to carry three cell phones in New England to cover me in the maximum amount of places (I am a field service tech). Earlier this year, I finally dropped the Sprint CDMA phone and I'm down to one cell phone again for the first time since 1987.

at&t has built a lot of towers in rural areas here over the past few years, same is true elsewhere.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

As I mess around with the IPhone it would seem that it is really a computer- that makes phone calls. I am starting to see the difference between Apple and Windoze.
    The Apple operating system "sees" what is going on and it would seem it tries to smooth out the task. With Windoze, it seems that it wants you to do it the way Windoze wants you to do it- like changing my e-mail program every time there is an up-date
    So far it's working well and the main trouble is not knowing the touch points on the screen......that makes unintended things happen but it's not hard to reverse. OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    I am starting to see the difference between Apple and Windoze.
    If you get in trouble on an Apple computer, you can prolly figure out how to fix it yourself. Windows, not so much. I've been using Apple since 1985 and started on DOS in 1989.

My Mac will boot into Winodws 7 or XP, or I use VMware Fusion to run windows in emulation.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Problem solved: I ride with my iPhone on a Ram mount on my handlebars and always wear gloves. Bluetooth to my helmet for music. My old method for using the touch screen was to lift my face shield and lick my finger -- workable somewhat but not the best solution. My Farkle Fingers from Adaptive Technologies arrived yesterday. They slip over the end the finger of your gloves and allow you to use the touch screen (without spitting on your finger.) A bit pricy but they work. www.AdaptivTech.com.

Rider on Ramald
    You can also sew a bit of silver (conductive) thread through the fingertip of the glove... just a few passes in an x or * configuration works great.

http://j.mp/SilverThread

As I mess around with the IPhone it would seem that it is really a computer- that makes phone calls. I am starting to see the difference between Apple and Windoze.
    The Apple operating system "sees" what is going on and it would seem it tries to smooth out the task. With Windoze, it seems that it wants you to do it the way Windoze wants you to do it- like changing my e-mail program every time there is an up-date
    So far it's working well and the main trouble is not knowing the touch points on the screen......that makes unintended things happen but it's not hard to reverse. OM
    Don't you just love fat fingers...
    Bye bye 2006 F650 GS for a 2011 F650 GS.

I bought a 3-pack of styluses for less than $2. They work well with the iPhone and don't require glove removal. I keep one in my tankbag tethered to a ball point pen with about a foot of string - makes it a little easier to find and not drop.
    '14 R1200GS,
    Priors: '13 K1600GT, '08 R1200RT, '04 R1150RT, '05 R1200GS, '73 R75/5.

Quote Originally Posted by bmwgsrider View Post
    Don't you just love fat fingers...
    Funny!
    With some help, and info from some sources including help from Anna, I have been running the computer that makes phone calls with all the Apps off. It still receives phone calls and what not, it's just not burning the battery at such an alarming rate-progress. OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Funny!
    With some help, and info from some sources including help from Anna, I have been running the computer that makes phone calls with all the Apps off. It still receives phone calls and what not, it's just not burning the battery at such an alarming rate-progress. OM
    I am glad I helped you out some.
    Bye bye 2006 F650 GS for a 2011 F650 GS.

Well, I'm chipping away at using more of the IPhone. I tried to load my small playlist from ITunes- (from a PC) and the ITunes/PC won't recognize the IPhone (the iphone doesn't show as a device). I've done the usual Google searches and there have been some suggestions but so far when the IPhone is plugged into the computer it just sees it as a camera.
    Any suggestions? TIA Gary
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

check your services and be sure that the mobile device driver is started
    ----------
    Kris - 2007 f650GS

Cowboyatheart
    Well, I'm chipping away at using more of the IPhone. I tried to load my small playlist from ITunes- (from a PC) and the ITunes/PC won't recognize the IPhone (the iphone doesn't show as a device). I've done the usual Google searches and there have been some suggestions but so far when the IPhone is plugged into the computer it just sees it as a camera.
    Any suggestions? TIA Gary
    Easiest solution. Buy a Mac.
    Neil
    Want to be happy for a day? Drink. Want to be happy for a year? Get married. Want to be happy for life? Ride a BMW!
    www.TasteMoringa.com Smart Mix & XM3 Energy Drink are the puppies to view...IMO