Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: So I bought an IPhone

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovineguy View Post
    I've shot videos from inside a full beer glass with no problems.
    Now those would be worth seeing!

I'll buy this case when the new iphones come out -- still rocking the 4.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Quote Originally Posted by rkoreis View Post
    Words With Friends. It's Scrabble for the phone. Frustrating some times when one player has all vowels and the other all consonants, but it's fun. ...
    My wife is addicted to WWF on her iPad. She has 6 or 7 games going all the time...
    1983 R100RS
    2004 R1150RT
    BMW MOA 181289
    ABC 13558

Quote Originally Posted by Bovineguy View Post
    If I could, I would suggest the LifeProof case, waterproof, dust proof, snow proof, much lighter then the Otter Box, a bit more $$, but IMHO well worth it. http://www.lifeproof.com/
    +1

My wife has even taken her phone swimming, using the screw in headphone jack adapter and water resistant headphones.

You got the best phone out there. If you enjoy tinkering to get a phone to run smooth, or less than stellar graphics, there are plenty of other phones out there. I've had a number of them, none compared to the iphone. I have a nav feature that tells me turn by turn if I'm without a GPS, and it comes in very handy. I can quietly listen to music, and it tells me what I need to know (fades the music down and back up) without having to look down at the GPS/phone. It's a tiny laptop, basically. I've had one for years. My wife and kids all have Iphones, some passed down from me, some purchased new. Otterbox is your friend. When I run, my route and time (and prompts as I specify) are tracked through an iphone app and whispered in my ear. When I ride, the aforementioned nav app and map apps let me route or reroute. Need a starbucks? Repair shop? Steakhouse? Takes only seconds. It's one thing to know the overall rain chance by percentage. Checking hourly or watching moving maps lets me much more accurately assess my chances of rain on a ride. Video chat and photo messaging are nice when you're on the road away from the family. Hi res pictures are helpful when letting the shop know about a problem or part you need. Some of the other brands come fairly close, but just aren't as sustainably fast, robust, or gifted in the display department.
    R75/6, 2004 R1150RTA.

kool aid

it sounds like a lot of people are drinking the apple kool aid.

posted by my 4G phone
    Black 1150 RT '02 sold
    White 1200 GS '09

Southeast Arizona....where we ride year round.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbrick View Post
    Umm...I have an iPhone 4S, and it does turn-by-turn directions just fine using the stock "Maps" app. It was useful on a recent driving trip. I don't use it on the bike.
    Umm....the stock Google Maps on iPhone 4 doesn't do voice directions. Pretty sure that's what he was referring to.

Maybe the 4s does?
    Warren
    '97 R1100RT - My daily driver

Ave atque vale, my America.

Quote Originally Posted by nblomme View Post

posted by my 4G phone
    Since 1985.

posted by my 4G iPad

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Quote Originally Posted by NI5L View Post
    Umm....the stock Google Maps on iPhone 4 doesn't do voice directions. Pretty sure that's what he was referring to.

Maybe the 4s does?
    The 4S doesn't. The new software update IOS 6 will.
    Bye bye 2006 F650 GS for a 2011 F650 GS.

Quote Originally Posted by bmwgsrider View Post
    The 4S doesn't.
    Correct. Rob originally mentioned being able to "get" turn-by-turn directions. I took "get" to mean "receive the information," not "receive the information by voice notification."

The 4S presents turn-by-turn info, but only visually on the screen.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

The 4S will announce the directions as well. I have used that walking around a visiting city.
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by AZ-J View Post
    The 4S will announce the directions as well.
    The 4S will announce turn-by-turn directions with some iStore Apps (e.g., "MapQuest 4 Mobile"), but cannot announce turn-by-turn using the stock Apple App "Maps."
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

Well, I was in an area with Wi-Fi when I used the phone on the internet yesterday. I'm thinking that it was faster than the DSL I have here with this older Sony laptop.
    As I ask around, using the weather as an example, everybody thinks their selection for an App is the best...kinda funny, OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

Quote Originally Posted by nblomme View Post

posted by my 4G phone
    I could not stand "Apple people" that would tell me all about how great a Mac was compared to a PC. I was always a gadget guy and started buying handhelds all the way back to the old Casio Boss. Then came the palm platforms from palm and Sony. Then came wifi palms, then palm phones then window based phones. What I had were hard to use devices with giant manuals that had to have the battery pulled from them at least three times a week to unfreeze the unit. The iPad intrigued me and the day it was launched was close to my birthday so I bought one. I intuitively knew ow to use it right out of the box with no need for instructions. It did not freeze or lock up. Within 2 weeks of buying it I switched from being a long time Verizon customer to AT&T so I could buy an iPhone and ditch the world of what I now knew to be crappy smart phones. Within a year a had a Mac pro laptop. I will never buy a pc or windows based phone again. I now understand "Apple people". They were not bragging they were just happy and not frustrated like windows people. They did not have to buy all the virus protection and wait for security updates each time they fired up the computer. They were just trying to turn the world on to what glory they had found like missionaries from a fruity religion. Yes I have become another disciple and am now an "Apple person". No funny uniforms required. Not sandals with white socks or neon biker shorts. No pocket protector or broken glasses. Nope, just a large bank account for data plans and a iTunes account. 3200 songs later I am a happy man. I never had any doubts anyway once I bought the iPad but when I saw Steve Jobs used to ride a BMW I knew I was in the right company. Now someone give me an amen by posting that photo of the Apple King on his trusty black beauty.
    Kevin
    "I ride therefore I am"

2012 1600 GTL

Here you go.

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    As I ask around, using the weather as an example, everybody thinks their selection for an App is the best...kinda funny, OM
    Many weather apps are out to lunch for what you want to know and they change with updates constantly, just like, huh, the weather. That's why I use so many.

-Tom (KA1TOX)