View Poll Results: Who did not attend because of the heat?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pre registered but did not attend

    25 22.52%
  • Just did not attend

    86 77.48%
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 235

Thread: Who did not attend because of the heat?

  1. #61
    High & Dry statdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    In the Endless Mountains
    Posts
    2,730
    Quote Originally Posted by nytrashman View Post
    so doesn't that mean that the majority of the members that respond to the poll would like to see the rally dates changed from the current July date to a new, mid June date?
    Consumers are statistics. Customers are people.

    Here is another one : Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

    The choices are still a summer rally regardless if its June, July or August. You can even include September up to about the 22nd. Its hot and that seems to be an issue here ! If you can't stand the heat run for BoD.
    If one cannot command attention by one's admirable qualities one can at least be a nuisance

  2. #62
    Watch This!!! junkjohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Dennis, MA
    Posts
    3,193
    Quote Originally Posted by walterK75 View Post
    We better get used to it because it looks like global warming is a fact and there will be more and more heat every year.
    Until the next ice age.

  3. #63
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Piedmont area of NC.
    Posts
    723
    I bought my ticket early primarily to get in the early bird drawing, the pre registration was an unexpected bonus as far as i was concerned.

    I admit i am not a fan of long distance rides any longer, and the guys i was going to travel with took that in to consideration . We planned our trip so I could do it , and I thank them for that.

    I went in to training several months before the rally, lost some weight, started riding regularly and longer, felt i could do it.

    Checked the weather forecast just before leaving and decided it was going to be too hot for me with the medical issues i must deal with. Talked with my buddies and they agreed it was best for me to stay behind.

    We still all met on the scheduled departure day, rode to a breakfast stop. They went on to the rally , and three of us decided to do a nice long day ride. Unfortunately it got close to 100 degrees later on that day. We did 300 miles and i am proud of that. I was however sick from the heat for two days afterwards.

    I really wanted to attend this year and feel i made a solid effort to go.
    Age and experience told me not to , i am glad i did not go and possibly ruin my friends having a good time, or me ending up in a ditch from heat stroke.

    Glad the folks who went had a great time, it was special to see all the photo's and the on line streaming of the ending raffle awards was terrific !!
    Kudo's to the MOA and all the volunteers who made this happen.
    Doug

  4. #64
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Whitefish Bay, WI, 3mi N Milwaukee
    Posts
    1,604

    weather, etc

    FWIW, I had planned on attending the rally this year. But my father got quite ill about a week before the rally. I cancelled all my reservations. He passed away last Tuesday.

    I am neither a meteorologist nor an expert on global warming. I am not sure that there is a perfect time for the rally.
    "What is beautiful is simple, and what is simple always works"....Kalashnikov, inventor of the AK-47.
    Currently bikeless, but looking hard! "Center yourself in the vertizontal. Ride a motorcycle...namaste' "

  5. #65
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    28
    Look, the Rally will not move its current date in July. We need to accept that and move on.

    However, as I pointed out on post #3 in this thread, it's all about location!The Rally needs to held in a locale that has moderate temps in July (Bloomsburg actually fits this definition).

    Salem in 2013 is a good start. But latitude and elevation must be considerations for 2014 and beyond. Strong attendance each year helps pay the bills. The MOA needs to be diligent in picking locations that will keep turnout high.
    Raleigh, NC
    1600 GTL

  6. #66
    Rally Rat nytrashman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    westchester co. NY
    Posts
    646
    Look, the Rally will not move its current date in July. We need to accept that and move on.
    the reason the board will not change the rally dates are because there surveys say this is when the members want the rally held, but with comments like the two quoted below it makes me wonder on the validity of the survey:



    I got a survey and don't recall if I completed it or not. It was definitely set up to steer the results.
    Since 3 of the 4 choices were July, some people will say the majority voted for July

  7. #67
    Roadster Rider sjbmw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    576
    Quote Originally Posted by nytrashman View Post
    the reason the board will not change the rally dates are because there surveys say this is when the members want the rally held, but with comments like the two quoted below it makes me wonder on the validity of the survey:
    I think items #1, and #2 (Vendors, and Rally volunteers) have to be in place before #3 (Members that can attend a rally).

    A rally with no vendors and no volunteers...... is a rally that does not exist.

    If a survey said 70% of the members want a spring date, but 0% of vendors and rally volunteers are able to work spring, the member vote is meaningless.

    Cart comes after horse, cart comes after horse....


    I missed the rally for work obligations.
    Sig? What's a Sig?

  8. #68
    Rally Rat nytrashman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    westchester co. NY
    Posts
    646
    the member vote is meaningless
    i get the feeling no matter what this is the case.

  9. #69
    Registered User Rapid_Roy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Waukesha, WI
    Posts
    5,694
    Quote Originally Posted by Beemerdons View Post
    I suggest a mail in postcard vote regarding Rally months in next issue of BMW ON!
    When only a third answer bother to answer that, then it will be indicative of the entire club?



    19 BMWMOA Nationals under my belt, and I have no idea what I am doing.

  10. #70
    Registered User Rapid_Roy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Waukesha, WI
    Posts
    5,694
    Quote Originally Posted by HRbiker View Post
    Look, the Rally will not move its current date in July. We need to accept that and move on.

    However, as I pointed out on post #3 in this thread, it's all about location!The Rally needs to held in a locale that has moderate temps in July (Bloomsburg actually fits this definition).

    Salem in 2013 is a good start. But latitude and elevation must be considerations for 2014 and beyond. Strong attendance each year helps pay the bills. The MOA needs to be diligent in picking locations that will keep turnout high.
    When they have it on the coasts, turnout is usually less. This will limit the site selection criteria even more so, IMO. However, no matter what they decide, I will decide if I am going and I will have fun. I don't go to these to get annoyed.
    19 BMWMOA Nationals under my belt, and I have no idea what I am doing.

  11. #71
    Registered User bmwgsrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    531
    The members are majority of the population here. Everyone needs to request time off from work. Why not move the dates to spring versus during the dead of summer? Or fall? The members are the ones who volunteer so why is it important to make dates friendly for volunteers when it is the members who are volunteering? I am sure there is a season where the vendors are less busy which would make it better for them to attend earlier in the season or later versus during their busy season which is in the middle of summer? Everyone is coming up with excuses of vendors... Volunteers... But why isn't the majority of population imperative? It's the members where making money from so why not change the dates to better time of year. One can always put on little more clothing but you can't walk around naked/ride naked to prevent heat stroke. I bet there would be better attendance all around because vendors will be able to better attend.... People can get off work betters especially for those who have black out dates to where they can never get off because of a busy season. Make it fair for everyone all around just not for select few. There talk about teachers... I understand school season starts and stops diff time of year throughout the US... You can't tell me a teacher isn't able to take off? I disagree. I still don't understand why the dates can't be moved to spring or fall? It's beyond me. I think the main problem is here that people are set in their own ways and afraid of change and I feel those people that are set in their own ways need change and it is time for change and change will be good for the MOA and it's members. And I am sure the Vendors will not give it a second thought. This year there were less Vendors that attended... I wonder why and one thing comes to mind is the heat!
    Bye bye 2006 F650 GS for a 2011 F650 GS.

  12. #72
    High & Dry statdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    In the Endless Mountains
    Posts
    2,730
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapid_Roy View Post
    When only a third answer bother to answer that, then it will be indicative of the entire club?



    I thought you would mention that only 7% of the membership voted in the last election.

    If one cannot command attention by one's admirable qualities one can at least be a nuisance

  13. #73
    Registered User Rapid_Roy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Waukesha, WI
    Posts
    5,694
    Quote Originally Posted by Statdawg View Post
    I thought you would mention that only 7% of the membership voted in the last election.

    I would have, but I am one of the 93%ers.
    19 BMWMOA Nationals under my belt, and I have no idea what I am doing.

  14. #74
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Piedmont area of NC.
    Posts
    723

    question about vendors

    I wonder if anyone has actually talked with the vendors who attend, or might if they could for what ever their reasons.

    The largest rallies;
    Daytona, Sturgis, Americade all have tons of vendors as far as i can tell. They are attended by far more people than any BMW event.
    Yes , I know those vendors sell a lot of chrome and fringe , so they would not necessarily be the target vendor for a BMW rally.

    Also I wonder ; are vendors really a big part of the equation when the rally location and dates are selected ?

    Would more, or different vendors come if the rally was held at a different time of the year ?

    If the vendors pay the MOA for space is it a profit center for the club ?

  15. #75
    Rally Rat Sue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Waukesha, WI
    Posts
    2,009
    Quote Originally Posted by 40427 View Post
    I wonder if anyone has actually talked with the vendors who attend, or might if they could for what ever their reasons.

    The largest rallies;
    Daytona, Sturgis, Americade all have tons of vendors as far as i can tell. They are attended by far more people than any BMW event.
    Yes , I know those vendors sell a lot of chrome and fringe , so they would not necessarily be the target vendor for a BMW rally.

    Also I wonder ; are vendors really a big part of the equation when the rally location and dates are selected ?

    Would more, or different vendors come if the rally was held at a different time of the year ?

    If the vendors pay the MOA for space is it a profit center for the club ?
    Vendors are important to our rally because, for many of our attendees, this is the only time they can shop for items of specific interest to us and our bikes. Members can interact with the vendors, ask questions, touch, examine, and get great prices on products they are interested in. So - the number one answer is VENDORS are important because the attendees benefit from it.

    Secondly, we sent a separate survey to the vendors and the primary committee chairs, asking their date preferences. Overwhelmingly, their responses were to keep the rally in these last two weeks of July. Yes - these two groups are enormously important to the draw of a rally and actually making the rally happen.
    Sue Rihn #43753
    BMW MOA Director - Ambassador
    Sometimes it's the bend in the road that makes life worth the ride.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •