View Poll Results: Who did not attend because of the heat?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pre registered but did not attend

25 22.52%
  • Just did not attend

86 77.48%
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Who did not attend because of the heat?

Quote Originally Posted by JDOCKERY132445 View Post
    I know that no matter where the rally is, I am going to be hot when I leave home and hot somewhere on the way. I don't understand why anyone from the South would whine about heat. Do you p[eople live in the A/C all Summer? Get off your butts and go mow the grass. Work outside for a week or so before the trip to acclimate yourself. But for pete's sake...stop with the incessant WHINING.
    The sad thing is, (for those who stayed at home for fear of heat) temps at night in Sedalia were very comfy.
    keep it light enough to travel.....
    2013 GL1800 Goldwing
    '81 Honda CB650 Custom

Quote Originally Posted by 2bikemike View Post
    The sad thing is, (for those who stayed at home for fear of heat) temps at night in Sedalia were very comfy.
    yeah, heck, i even turned the AC off in my RV and opened the windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenwald View Post
    Just throwing in a brief comment - my hope that this discussion remains civil.

I don't think it's really relevant anymore to look up old data about temp trends at any particular location - with global climates rapidly changing due to human impact, this imperical data is near useless.

I think all one has to do is name a geographic location, and the odds are pretty good most MOA members could guess what the temps will be for that particular time of year.

Ergo, "time of year" needs to be re-thought, so that combined with location, we might hit on nicer rally weather and perhaps boost attendance to the numbers that the powers-to-be think we need.

Just a thought - now back to the Olympics.
    So you would trade a hundred or so years of factual data for a guess?

Quote Originally Posted by Doubleplay View Post
    This is a no brainer. I did not attend the rally in Bloomsburg, PA and Sedalia, MO because of the heat and I'll never pre register again. I'm in relatively good shape and I can ride trough any condition heat or cold but it's a misery and not fun. Attending rallies and riding my motorcycle should be enjoyable not the opposite.
    I can bet anyone that 2013 Rally will be much better attended because of the weather and location.
    If we can agree on "much" I'd be happy to take your bet.

I know that no matter where the rally is, I am going to be hot when I leave home and hot somewhere on the way. I don't understand why anyone from the South would whine about heat. Do you p[eople live in the A/C all Summer? Get off your butts and go mow the grass. Work outside for a week or so before the trip to acclimate yourself. But for pete's sake....

Here Jerry, fixed your post.
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by widebmw View Post
    Remember the last BMWMOA Election, 2 (TWO) positions were not filled becauce no one ran for them.
    Not surprising.

I am 67. I have done over 1,000,000 miles on BMWs, plus other brands. I have done hill climbs, motocross, cross country; toured all of Europe and most of Africa.

I rode 1256 miles to the rally in a 24 hour period that included a 2 1/2 hour HES replacement on the side of the road in Kentucky.

Now where are those young whiper snappers that are doing all the whining?
    Over a million miles! Wow!

Did you document it like Ardys and Voni?

I was looking at some 2003 postings on ADV today about the MOA Rally in Charleston, and people were pre-bitching about the anticipated heat they expected at the 2004 Spokane Rally, 11 months in advance.

Nothing ever changes.
    Ub
    05 K12S . 86 R65

Quote Originally Posted by 39520 View Post
    I was looking at some 2003 postings on ADV today about the MOA Rally in Charleston, and people were pre-bitching about the anticipated heat they expected at the 2004 Spokane Rally, 11 months in advance.

Nothing ever changes.

Whiners gonna whine...

What no one seems to think about is Camp Gears. How are the youngsters going to attend if the rally is during the school year???

Huh????

My vote now and as always, keep the Rally when it is.

Some rallies are hot, some are cool. I attend many rallies every year.
    I don't sit and incessantly bitch about them changing those dates.
    Motorcycling is like that sometimes it is cold, sometimes hot, sometimes raining.

For those who don't like the weather, don't go.
    Kansas. Eleven curves in three hundred eighteen miles...
    '09 R1200RT
    N0PGH
    Iron Butt Assoc. #47865

Not that anal

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Nye View Post
    Over a million miles! Wow!

Did you document it like Ardys and Voni?
    Nope; I never even figured it out until a group of us was sitting around talking bikes and I started listing the bikes I have owned and the miles I put on them. The 1,000,000 + are BMW only miles. I did not count the early Harleys and Indians, the 4 Triumphs, the assortment of motocross and trials bikes nor all the assorted Hondas, BSA, Nortons and Ducs. The greatest number of miles on any single bike was 300,057 miles on my, 1961, R69S. When you consider the number of years that motorcycles were my only transportation and how old I am; it is not that many miles.
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    1996 R1100RT main bike & 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

Nope; I never even figured it out until a group of us was sitting around talking bikes and I started listing the bikes I have owned and the miles I put on them. The 1,000,000 + are BMW only miles. I did not count the early Harleys and Indians, the 4 Triumphs, the assortment of motocross and trials bikes nor all the assorted Hondas, BSA, Nortons and Ducs. The greatest number of miles on any single bike was 300,057 miles on my, 1961, R69S. When you consider the number of years that motorcycles were my only transportation and how old I am; it is not that many miles.
    Congratulations Jerry, that is quite an accomplishment. Wish I had all your experience and great memories of riding in different countries, especially Africa.

Excuses to avoid changes in the National Rally schedule

Straight up, you can't get a true picture of people's thoughts about the super hot rally's by stacking the deck ; as I learned in my psychology training regarding research, "figures don't lie but liars do figure". It's like getting a dealer customer satisfaction survey which asks you if you are Satisfied, Very Satisfied, or Totally satisfied. In short, this is NOT straight pool.

Fact: numerous people ended up in the hospital due to the heat in Bloomsburg as well as in Sedalia! (I was one of them)

Fact: many people do not want to be wandering around in 100 degree heat, regardless of their physical condition.

Fact: the ."we've always done it this way" argument is irrelevant and idiotic; it simply indicates rigidity in thinking.

Fact: if the rally were to be scheduled for sometime other than July, the vendors would alter their schedules accordingly, (that is how a free market economy functions) and our vendors are NOT going to miss an opportunity to be at a national if it is scheduled another time.

Proof of this is the fact that I opted NOT to take my vaction in July for Sedalia, but rather scheduled the second week in September (to the Dragon) because I am NOT interested in going to rallys or other events in 100 degree heat.

It's time the leadership chooses to address the "elephant in the room" and admits that July is too damn hot.

Unappologetically,

Will 3 Hawks

I love to go to a rally,rain,shine,hot,cold,hurricane.My friends went to Sedalia.It was just too far,for me.
    Can't please everyone,so ya got to please yourself.

See you in Oregon(though the coast would be cooler,just sayin).
    Sometimes,nothing is a real cool hand.

Quote Originally Posted by will3hawks View Post
    Straight up, you can't get a true picture of people's thoughts about the super hot rally's by stacking the deck ; as I learned in my psychology training regarding research, "figures don't lie but liars do figure". It's like getting a dealer customer satisfaction survey which asks you if you are Satisfied, Very Satisfied, or Totally satisfied. In short, this is NOT straight pool.

Fact: numerous people ended up in the hospital due to the heat in Bloomsburg as well as in Sedalia! (I was one of them)

Fact: many people do not want to be wandering around in 100 degree heat, regardless of their physical condition.

Fact: the ."we've always done it this way" argument is irrelevant and idiotic; it simply indicates rigidity in thinking.

Fact: if the rally were to be scheduled for sometime other than July, the vendors would alter their schedules accordingly, (that is how a free market economy functions) and our vendors are NOT going to miss an opportunity to be at a national if it is scheduled another time.

Proof of this is the fact that I opted NOT to take my vaction in July for Sedalia, but rather scheduled the second week in September (to the Dragon) because I am NOT interested in going to rallys or other events in 100 degree heat.

It's time the leadership chooses to address the "elephant in the room" and admits that July is too damn hot.

Unappologetically,

Will 3 Hawks
    Here's some more facts for you my friend; 4000 + memebers on the MOA Facebook page with zero complaints about the heat, 5000+ attended the rally, 30,000+ MOA members, 50,000 members of this forum and as of this date you still don't 100 people participating in this poll. I would say that you and the others who wish to move the rally are in such a small minority that it's no longer worthy of a debate.