Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Oil Filters

Oil Filters

I have a 85 K100RT and a 96 R1100RT and at the rally I bought a oil filter wrench and supposedly it will fit both bikes.....My question is do both bikes use the same oil filter?

yes.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Didn't the K-bike filter and the oil head filter have different stock numbers? I know they would physically interchange. Jon

RK Ryder
    I use the same oil filters on both my bikes, same fuel filter as well, as I recall.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Quote Originally Posted by DarkCloud View Post
    Didn't the K-bike filter and the oil head filter have different stock numbers? I know they would physically interchange. Jon
    nope, same part number. 01 11 421 460 845.
    and yes, same fuel filters.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Jeff Wilson life member

Filter wrench

The filter wrench also fits my Z3 cap for the cartridge. As for the filter I used a purolater per 183 for my K75 at less than half the cost of a BMW filter which also accepted the filter wrench 180,000 miles and no problems

"11 42 1 460 845"

Yesterday, I bought an oil filter from my dealer for my K75. The part number on the box is the one above. Pull the filter from the box and read the numbers printed on the filter.

"11.42 1 460 845" and "11.42 1 460 697"

What is the second number? Could it be the one for your oilhead?

BMW supercedes part numbers faster than I supercede under shorts !
    Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

my k75 filter says "AC Delco PF53" and cost $3.99.
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

Wix sells a filter for the K bike and Oilheads, part number 57936. From my experieince in fleet maintenance in a truck company, Wix is a reliable filter, and the only filter I run on my cars. Napa Gold is a Wix filter by the way. So are the top of the line filters from Chevron.

Oilhead filter for R1200C (and maybe RT?? I forget) is same as Toyota Tundra and FJ Cruiser, and probably a lot more vehicles. Do some searching and you can find other vehicles your bike's filter fits. It may make it easier for you to find and buy them from places other than a dealer. Cheaper too for the same filter.

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicVW View Post
    Oilhead filter for R1200C (and maybe RT?? I forget) is same as Toyota Tundra and FJ Cruiser, and probably a lot more vehicles. Do some searching and you can find other vehicles your bike's filter fits. It may make it easier for you to find and buy them from places other than a dealer. Cheaper too for the same filter.
    Be careful. External dimensions are not the whole story. What are the bypass pressures, flow rates and nominal microns of these car filters? Just because they happen to fit doesn't mean they are the correct filter for our motorcycles. We see on another post a member advocating use of a Bosch 3330 filter, the same one I buy for my fiancees Toyota Avalon when I change the oil for her. Funny my BMW filter wrench is too big for that filter. But it is apparently, to some members, ok to use this undersized filter on our bikes. I shake my head.

It never failes to amaze me how people can buy such an expensive bike then find every possible way to cheap out on basic maintenance. It is almost like they don't care about how long their bike lasts. Cheap uber alles. Yes, of course.

The cheapest part on a BMW is the rider. Old saying but seemingly true.

Funny my BMW filter wrench is too big for that filter. But it is apparently, to some members, ok to use this undersized filter on our bikes. I shake my head.
    My filter wrench works perfectly on both the 3302 and the OEM "Made in Austria" filter (as well as on the M1-102...) I checked after you posted on the other thread. Yep, I use all three, usually what I have on hand. I have for over 120,000 miles on K Bikes.

As for the flow rates and microns, Google is your friend. Here is a great site that compares a whole ton of filters:
    http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Filters.html
    There are many other sites out there as well.
    Last edited by Ted; 09-06-2012 at 11:58 PM.
    Ted
    "A good stick is a good reason"
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

Quote Originally Posted by 42906 View Post
    Be careful. .
    I have been careful. I have been using these for 12 years. 3 or4 different BMW bikes. Not all the time, but until recently, there was no nearby dealer for me to go to. I actually went to BMW Manhattan for some filters once and between the time involved, the tolls, the parking, and the BIG wait once I got to the parts counter, it didn't pay for me to go that route. I know of some stories about filters not fitting. I am telling you that I have used these filters that are listed for BOTH cars or trucks and our motorcycles and have the same parts numbers. I am not guessing or making up my own cross references. I only mentioned this because many people seem to be having trouble finding filters outside of a dealership. Some people live 200 miles from a BMW dealer and just can't walk in on any Saturday. It's also obvious that the price will be less somewhere else, that was not the main point of my post and I object to your rant about being cheap.

I found the filter issue to be kinda simple, Beemer boneyard has factory filters at a reasonable price, ordered a dozen think i'am good for awhile. Word of caution though mark each box for the bike/vehicle it's for I tend to forget as I have several bikes and cars I service