Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: standing on footpegs crazy GS riders

If Im on gravel or dirt I will stand up. Elbows up, knees bent, and ready to shift my weight any direction. This is with a K100RT. The big 'ol pig handles pretty good when Im on the pegs. But the suspension is not any good at speeds over 15MPH on the rough stuff.

And I will stand on the highways for 20-30 seconds at a time to stretch the legs.

As far as being able to work the clutch and throttle and front brake, The levers need to be rotated down a bit, pointing to about 8 oclock. (or even 7 oclock for my dirt bikes)
    Mike Davis
    "Old n Slow" It's a way of life!
    1985 K100RT

1998 R1100RT

standing

Never have tried it much until today on my RT. Sure am wanting a GS but can't quite justify it after just buying a new RT in April. I watched the GT Giant competition at the rally and those guys are good. I'm practicing by putting lots of miles on the RT and making sure it stays dirty.
    IBA Number 49673
    Moore OK
    http://lngrdr.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyGrownup View Post
    Do any other riders do this or is this just supposed to be a GS thing ?
    No and its not a GS thing. Dirt riders on real dirt bikes have been doing it long before GSes were even thought of.

Quote Originally Posted by LngRdr View Post
    Never have tried it much until today on my RT. Sure am wanting a GS but can't quite justify it after just buying a new RT in April. I watched the GT Giant competition at the rally and those guys are good. I'm practicing by putting lots of miles on the RT and making sure it stays dirty.
    Here's a little known fact. Most of the GS riders on the track have been riding off road for less than two years. Many were inspired to come out last year and have been practicing ever since. To anyone who wants to ride like that, come out and meet the Giants. They are all, every one, very supportive of the noobs and less experienced riders.

As I read this, a couple things come to mind.
    1. The laws against thins in the applicable areas of Canada are absurd. I realize that there have been people standing on the pegs who were doing some sort of trick, but standing (as previously stated) can be very helpful in the right situation.
    2. The MSF endorsement classes actually tell you to get up off the seat in a handful of situations where it is useful. (The classes here in MI anyway)
    3. If people give you a disconcerning look when you are standing on the pegs of your GS, I wonder what they are thinking when I am stretching my legs on the LT!?!
    02' K12LT ~ 83K '97 F650GS ~ 32K' 81 XS400 ~ 9K
    MOA #184190 Club #231 48035

The Canada Safety Council motorcycle course (MSF equivalent) taught standing on the pegs many years ago when I took it.

It is hypocritical to teach the procedure in a safety course on one hand and to criminalize it as "stunting" on the other. Police officers do have discretion and believe it or not, the vast majority of time are quite reasonable and can differentiate between safe and dangerous behaviour.

If some cop tried to ticket me for standing on the pegs going across one of the absolutely gawd-awful railway level crossings around here, they would get a major piece of my mind, and so would the desk sergeant and so would the chief and so would the chairman of the police board. I still have the course manual that advocates standing. Let them argue with that. This is the kind of legislated stupidity that makes my blood boil.
    Dave

'06 Triumph Scrambler (Trans-Labrador veteran)

Can one buy confiscated GS's in Canada ?

Are they subject to VAT ?
    If one cannot command attention by one's admirable qualities one can at least be a nuisance

Based on the discussion here, I e-mailed the Canada Safety Council regarding the practice of standing on the foot pegs to deal with road hazards.

I received the following prompt reply:

Thank you for your e-mail message. The Canada Safety Council (CSC) continues to advocate rising slightly on the footrests when going over bumps or objects on the road such as a tail pipe from another vehicle. The Ontario motorcycle handbook produced by MTO on page 80 and 81 states: Driving over objects  3. Rise slightly on the footrests. This allows your arms and legs to absorb the shock and helps keep you from being bounced off as the rear wheel hits the object. The Ontario stunt law is a tool for Police officers in the fight against stunting motorcyclists and it is not intended for law abiding motorcyclists. I have been riding since 1974 and I ride about 18,000 kilometres per year. I also sit on the traffic committee for the Canadian Association of Chief of Police; the stunt laws are intended to reduce stunting, not reduce safety.

In Canada, at least, if there is a demonstrable reason for standing to deal with a road hazard, there is a sound basis to fight a possible citation.
    Dave

'06 Triumph Scrambler (Trans-Labrador veteran)

Quote Originally Posted by MCMXCIVRS View Post
    This is the section of the new BC law pertaining to remaining seated.

How it reads is pretty clear and restricting. The real question for the cops would be how will it be enforced, and that may be subject to much variety I would imagine.
    Thanks, Ed. (Wonder how your quote got deleted?) Local RCMP office closed 15 minutes before I got there Wednesday and today I frankly forgot to call. BUT I WILL. I believe this is not just another bad law, it is a law that has received little or no publicity here in BC so very likely to be broken by resident riders who hadn't a clue they were committing an offence. (Might be great for nailing motorcycle tourists as well.) Certainly there are times when standing on the pegs might be a bad idea on BC (or any) highways - in heavy traffic for example, because hard braking doesn't go well with riding vertical - but I am pretty sure there are more general "dangerous driving" laws to cover that sort of stupidity.

I guess we all know that "ignorance of the law is no excuse," at least in court. We also know that there is a small minority of cops who just don't like motorcyclists. Seems like the perfect law to cost a few riders bucks and further clog up the court system without doing a damn thing to enhance safety.

Makes me wonder if there are other new BC laws for motorcyclists which few have heard about. Will check and report back.
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

Quote Originally Posted by LngRdr View Post
    Get a small dual sport and take it off road. My RS is terrific for road use, but I love my Super Sherpa too (Kawasaki KL250) and it will go a lot more places than my RS. A used dual sport is inexpensive and it's not hard to get your money back out of it. As a bonus many get 60-80+ mpg and make great errand bikes. I often find my short run to the store turns into a hour-long cruise in the country sometimes off road. I think dirt riding is a great way (maybe the best way?) to improve motorcycle skills on the road.
    Mark M, St. Louis, '13 R1200GS, '01 Super Sherpa
    There are two roads in life; the twisty one is vastly more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by BCKRIDER View Post
    Thanks, Ed. (Wonder how your quote got deleted?) Local RCMP office closed 15 minutes before I got there Wednesday and today I frankly forgot to call. BUT I WILL. I believe this is not just another bad law, it is a law that has received little or no publicity here in BC so very likely to be broken by resident riders who hadn't a clue they were committing an offence. (Might be great for nailing motorcycle tourists as well.) Certainly there are times when standing on the pegs might be a bad idea on BC (or any) highways - in heavy traffic for example, because hard braking doesn't go well with riding vertical - but I am pretty sure there are more general "dangerous driving" laws to cover that sort of stupidity.

I guess we all know that "ignorance of the law is no excuse," at least in court. We also know that there is a small minority of cops who just don't like motorcyclists. Seems like the perfect law to cost a few riders bucks and further clog up the court system without doing a damn thing to enhance safety.

Makes me wonder if there are other new BC laws for motorcyclists which few have heard about. Will check and report back.
    Just spoke to a constable with the Vernon, BC RCMP. Apparently the reason for laws such as this that carry a fine of just over $100 is that charges of "driving without due care and attention" are often thrown out of court by judges.

If you stand up to cross RR tracks or just to stretch your legs where it is safe to do so, ALMOST certainly you will not receive a ticket. So pick your spots to stretch your legs.
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

Quote Originally Posted by BCKRIDER View Post
    Thanks, Ed. (Wonder how your quote got deleted?)
    I looked and it's still there. FYI, quotes won't show up within quotes if that's what your noticing.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

drsogr
    Quote Originally Posted by Newstar View Post
    Here's a little known fact. Most of the GS riders on the track have been riding off road for less than two years. Many were inspired to come out last year and have been practicing ever since. To anyone who wants to ride like that, come out and meet the Giants. They are all, every one, very supportive of the noobs and less experienced riders.
    Thats great to hear.....I have a GS....and I am trying to learn how to ride it!

I used to love "flying" on my old Seca 650. Stand up, lean into the tank indents and from there you can't see the bike, just the road. That was lots of fun on quiet backroads. Now I do it on the GS to stretch, get some air to the humid regions, and better control on some dirt roads
    08 R1200GS aka Stormy.
    1989 Honda GB500 aka Ton Up.

I hate deer and love venison

Standing up on the footpegs will also raise the center of gravity, making you and your bike more top heavy.