Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Do you wear ATGATT?

ATGATT - even traveling within the fairgrounds at Bloomsburg last year, my then boyfriend didn't want me on the bike without it!! I went around my block a few weeks ago without anything on and felt like I was breaking the law, even though I technically wasn't!!

I commute almost every day to work (50 miles R/T) and I have to say I don't wear my custom ear plugs on the commute. Everywhere else, I do.

I have to say that I am surprised by the posts on this thread. I've always been under the impression that BMW riders are more the ATGATT crowd than not? So it seems among our own, about 1/3 of us are not? Hmmm..maybe a poll would have been good, but it does seem that there are a lot of versions of gear so it wouldn't have been a cut and dry answer!!

Mind is not for rent
    Quote Originally Posted by tnevling View Post
    I have to say that I am surprised by the posts on this thread. I've always been under the impression that BMW riders are more the ATGATT crowd than not? So it seems among our own, about 1/3 of us are not? Hmmm..maybe a poll would have been good, but it does seem that there are a lot of versions of gear so it wouldn't have been a cut and dry answer!!
    It's my experience that you find similar stratification with pretty much all brands.

Cowboyatheart
    ATGATT all the time. Always custom earplugs too.
    Why on earth would I risk my body and my life unneccissarily. Motoorcycling is dangerous enough on its own with road hazards and people in cages.
    Neil
    Want to be happy for a day? Drink. Want to be happy for a year? Get married. Want to be happy for life? Ride a BMW!
    www.TasteMoringa.com Smart Mix & XM3 Energy Drink are the puppies to view...IMO

I went around my block a few weeks ago without anything on and felt like I was breaking the law, even though I technically wasn't!!
    Interesting. Around here riding naked would be against the law. Where do you live?

Count me in the MTGATT group. Aria Profile helmet, First Gear mesh jacket, ear plugs, BMW Allround boots, elk skin roper gloves, and jeans for daily commuting. Leather or armored textile pants for longer rides and winter commuting.
    Mark M, St. Louis, '95 R1100RS, '01 Super Sherpa
    There are two roads in life; the twisty one is vastly more fun.

Dale Rudolph
    If you like to ride naked, come up to Portland, Oregon.
    They have an annual naked bicycle ride. For the most part, the cops look the other way.

Never naked, always a helmet, jacket & gloves as weather dictates.

Quote Originally Posted by 26667 View Post
    always a helmet, gloves, boots over the ankle, and jacket w pads
    +1 I wear the above when I am running errands on the bike. If I am going for a "ride" I wear everything.
    2012 BMW R1200RT
    2010 Triumph Bonneville

HONDARIDER
    No. Depends on the weather, the distance I'm going, and how aggressive I'm feeling. On a recent 2500 mile trip down to Tennessee, I wore full armor from head to toe for all highway sections, but I ditched the jacket when it was 85 and we were just cruising down the Blue Ridge Parkway at 45mph for hours on end. I do openly admit that it was a bit risky with wildlife, blind corners, and deep drop offs, but I find that sweating my butt off detracts from the enjoyment sufficiently that my discomfort won out over the added safety of my jacket. I was wearing a long sleeve riding jersey to fend off some of the sun exposure though. There's really nothing that I would consider mandatory all the time for me. I'll gladly zip around back roads on a CT70 with nothing more than shorts, a t-shirt, and sneakers if I can find a 1972 model in metallic orange. Oh...eye protection...I won't ride anything anywhere without eye protection. I don't think there's a catchy acronym for that though. ( :

I got ATGATT 95%. Boots, jacket, pants, helmet, and gloves. All armored in the correct areas. There are two conditions where I do not suit up all the way. If I am running out to fuel up the bike for the next morning's commute. The gas station is around one corner, less than 1/8 mile away. The other is on near 100 degree and over days. There is just no air flowing to the rider on an LT. In both cases, the jacket is not worn. If I wear everything on a 100 degree day, I am good for about 30 miles, then I have to stop, find some A/C, and have a few glasses of water.
    02' K12LT ~ 83K '97 F650GS ~ 32K' 81 XS400 ~ 9K
    MOA #184190 Club #231 48035

[QUOTE=MarkM;803530]Interesting. Around here riding naked would be against the law. Where do you live? QUOTE]

Haha...I guess the true meaning of what I wrote could have been taken that way!! I live deep in Amish country!! I'd be giving some of those young boys who ride their scooters and bicycles everywhere the time of their life if I did that!!
    Tonya
    2007 F800ST - Lovin' it!!

No. I heard of the ATGATT advantages when I started riding. But years of daily riding in Southern California (no optional cage), lots of triple digit temperatures, disabused me of such notions. If I thought about how miserable I was, my mind would not have been on the job of dealing with millions of maniacs daily. Not to mention that, if you have nowhere to stow your expensive ATGATT when you get where you are going, it will soon part company with you. Always boots, gloves, as those are guaranteed to hit first, if nothing else does.
    Dumbest thing I ever did living down there was to buy a black helmet - that got replaced quickly!

Morning Person
    Olympia Airglide mesh tech jacket with armor, BMW City Pants 2 with armor, Olympia leather gloves, Shoei Multitech helmet, BMW Allround boots.

Quote Originally Posted by RUDYJO View Post
    If you like to ride naked, come up to Portland, Oregon.
    They have an annual naked bicycle ride. For the most part, the cops look the other way.
    This is something I want to see especially if there are a lot of good looking guys...
    Bye bye 2006 F650 GS for a 2011 F650 GS.

Same here.
    When we were within 50 miles or so of arriving at the National and seeing other BMWs, we were surprised of the number of riders out on the road without jackets, and a few even had on shorts.
    ATGATT for me and my wife. We wear leather most of the time and have a couple textile jackets we'll wear from time to time.
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

If commuting to work -ATGATT
    If riding around the neighborhood on the trusty R60/6 to do errands - helmet, shorts, gloves, hard-soled shoes (i.e. I don't ride with tennis shoes).