Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you wear ATGATT?

Do you wear ATGATT?

In a previous thread I asked about the pleasure of riding without a helmet. Only one respondent mentioned the pleasure at higher than city speeds and apparently a crash convinced him that this was not a good idea though his head was not injured in the crash. You may draw your own conclusions about why so many riders do not wear a helmet where it is not legally mandated.

This question is more difficult as there is no consensus on what constitutes ALL THE GEAR. For this thread I will define it, and we are talking about street (not dirt) riding, as 1. real helmet, 2. leather riding jacket or textile jacket with armour, 3. leather riding pants or textile pants with armour, 4. riding gloves, 5. heavy over the ankle boots, 6. earplugs. I think that is what MOST of us mean by ATGATT.

Feel free to comment on chest protectors, spine protectors, and inflatable protectors. And please, no comments on legislation for the t-shirt/shorts/runners group. That is political and verboten.

Define what you wear, why, and whether on occasion you make exceptions.

I'll start: Shoei full face helmet, Rev'It Sand jacket and pants, Held gloves, BMW Allround boots, earplugs. And I wear them every time I ride. Donning all that stuff means I don't take short rides. For a trip I can't make longer I use the car, and don't ride as much as I would like. The price I pay.
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

ATGATT.
    Wear leather rather than textile. Always sport pants with armor, sport jacket with armor and backpad, boots like Alpinestars SM-X or Sidi Crossfires SMS or Vortice, Gloves usually Held Titans. If on the bike all day, a one piece suit is the most comfortable, otherwise 2 pc zipped together. Helmet Shoei X12. So this is pretty much my daily wear to and fro work.

NCS
    03 K 1200RS (Black is Best)
    03 Honda RC51
    74 Honda CB750 K4

I am a MTGATT guy ÔÇô Most of The Gear All of The Time.

The basics are shoes/boots, gloves and helmet. The coving for the rest of the body varies. It will be some combination of leather and or textile.

Most of my riding is commuting. Changes in destinations for meetings etc. can mean different gear for a commuting ride from day to day. I choose gear for any ride from collection of gear acquired over the years. The choice is a balance between what is appropriate for purpose of the ride, convenience and safety.

The purpose of a ride can dictate what gear I choose. Gear has been collected to meet certain needs but hopefully can be used in a variety of settings. I am normally fully covered but sport riding has one set of armored clothing, touring another combination of gear while commuting or other rides are dealers choice.

The purpose of a ride will also dictate my riding style. While the core skills go with me all the time if I am in business suit under the gear I don't approach a ride the same way I do when I head to the twisty bits to play.

For me it is a balance between all the parts ÔÇô rider ÔÇô bike ÔÇô and gear to get me there in one piece. That balance has a dynamic definition in my mind.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

atgatt

always a helmet, gloves, boots over the ankle, and jacket w pads
    We might as well walk. ~ Adam Guettel The Light In The Piazza
    used to own: 1982 R100T, 1984 R65, 1986K75C, 1997 R1100RT, R850R, K75S, 1978 R100RS... what was I thinking?

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Only time not AGATT, might be when traveling and going into town to eat from where we are staying, if it is only a couple of miles.

Armored jacket (textile), riding boots, gloves, helmet. Riding armored pants when it is colder. This is how I always ride no matter where I am going, sans the boots if it is a quick jaunt to lunch or the store down the road.

Maybe this should have been a poll?
    Integrity is what you do when no one is looking.

2008 R1200R Black

Bikes, Guitars, and ... beemokat's Avatar
    Always a helmet, boots, jacket & gloves. Almost always riding pants. I have over the years acquired leathers, armored textile & mesh gear. So not quite ATGATT, but ATGMOTT and MOTGATT.
    Wherever you go, there you are.

Almost always a helmet, jeans at least. Skin and bones heal, brain damage is usually permanent. Other gear varies. If I went full atg in 95 degree weather riding would be miserable, it should be enjoyable. I'll trade some protection instead of looking at the car as a reasonable alternative. And remember, gear only somewhat decreases your chances of injury, plenty of bikers have gone to the great beyond wearing full gear. I wonder about the false sense of security when I seen someone in hi viz, full gear, headlight modulators, etc. Jeez, if you're that scared buy a Volvo!
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

99.9% of the time for me. Some times when I'm test riding a bike I wear a half helmet so I can hear the bike better. Now & then when I only ride 4 miles to the parts store I don't put my mesh pants on.
    Dave
    2004 Black LT
    2000 Canyon Red LT
    The Only Vehicles I Own

ATTAGAT always, no matter the temp or length of ride.
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511
    YB #2005

Quote Originally Posted by AZgman View Post
    ATTAGAT always, no matter the temp or length of ride.
    99.9 % ATTGATT. BMW or Sidi Boots, Shoei full face, BMW Comfort suit on a trip, around town textile jacket with armour, and MAYBE jeans, leather gloves. From Fairgrounds to hotel (in the heat...long pants, long sleeve shirt, helmet, gloves and boots.)
    Ride Hard, go far, and keep smilin...

Karol Patzer, Ambassador, Director MOA Foundation
    2008/2014 BMW MOA Rally Chair

My commute is 0.6 miles. Walmart and the grocery store are 1.0 miles. I'll always wear a helmet, gloves, some kind of jacket.

For anything more than a couple of miles, I'm ATGATT.

Harry
    2003 R1150RT - Silver

Sometimes after filling my bike with fuel, I may move it away from the pumps to a parking spot without putting my gloves back on. Otherwise, ATGATT 100%.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

Mind is not for rent
    Mostly.

Falling off of a moving motorcycle hurts, gear can help mitigate that hurt. Oddly enough, the only two items I consider to be mandatory are boots and gloves. Probably because your hands will hit the ground 100% of the time when you come off, and I value walking enough to protect my feet and ankles.

I've gotten to the point that armored pants are a no-brainer. Armored pants make packing for a trip so much easier, and they breathe as well (if not better) than jeans. And, of course, jeans are all but worthless in a crash.

Similarly, in really high heat (95+), I'm more comfortable with a jacket on than without due to the jacket blocking the hot air blast.

With all that said, on a 75 degree day, it's far more enjoyable and involving for me to be out in jeans and a T-shirt.

http://www.rd400racer.com rd400racer's Avatar
    I'll have to admit that until I became a BMW owner 6 months ago, I had never heard the term ATGATT.

My first 3 years of real bike ownership (80-83) I had a new 750F and lived in the Florida Keys. I'm almost embarrassed to admit the number of times I rode in swim trunks only...no shoes!

57 motorcycles later, I haven't changed much (still have the 750F!). Always have the helmet but I wear what the temperature allows. In this 100+ weather, I do wear a jacket and gloves on my ride into work but on the way home it's just a polo shirt.

I did just purchase a Kathmandu jacket for when the cold riding season starts and before that I always wore a Vanson with my sportbikes, but I still ride with the minimum that the weather allows.
    http://www.rd400racer.com/

2001 Ducati Monster; 1996 R1100GS; 1985 RZ350; 1977 RD400