Thread: To rally-goers: An apology

To rally-goers: An apology

To all the rally goers.

During the BMWMOA's 2012 "Howlin' At the Moon" International Rally in Sedalia, a glaring omission was made, and it was made by me at the closing ceremony.
    As MC, I mentioned the names of myself and Jonathon Gifford as co-chairs of the Closing Ceremony, and brought up Rally Chair Chuck Manley and his wife, Julie, a rally Co-chair.
    I neglected to mention the name of Rally Co-Chair Bob Aldridge who really ramrodded the
    Closing Ceremony and two dozen other things (at least) to successful conclusions.
    In fact, it was Bob who was working the audio/video switcher at the Closing Ceremony so rally-goers got on two big screens what was happening on stage, and what prizes had been donated.
    To not recognize Bob's contributions to the closing--and to the Sedalia rally itself --was, in the words of one rally goer, "an unforgivable snub" and I agree.
    To sum up, if you had a good time in Sedalia, you can probably thank Bob Aldridge.
    If you didn't like the closing ceremony, you can probably blame me.

Tom McIntyre, MOA # 24929
    Mac
    1986 R80RT, 2005 R1200GS
    Livin' Large On The Lake

Everyone i talked to thought the closing ceremony went wonderfully....
    not long winded...you were funny...kept the pace moving, and it didn't last forever.

I'd say job well done!

Ken F
    IBA #44567
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    -Albert Eienstein

Mac. You did a fantastic job with the closing ceremony. But I must tell you my secretary missed you on the news while you were away.
    '09 BMW 1200 GSA, 2013 BMW 700GS, 2000 Goldwing SE, '09' V Star 950, '09 Honda Rebel,
    '77 Honda 750A. Holding at six til I get new garage built - need more room for more bikes!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaMac View Post
    To all the rally goers.

During the BMWMOA's 2012 "Howlin' At the Moon" International Rally in Sedalia, a glaring omission was made, and it was made by me at the closing ceremony.
    As MC, I mentioned the names of myself and Jonathon Gifford as co-chairs of the Closing Ceremony, and brought up Rally Chair Chuck Manley and his wife, Julie, a rally Co-chair.
    I neglected to mention the name of Rally Co-Chair Bob Aldridge who really ramrodded the
    Closing Ceremony and two dozen other things (at least) to successful conclusions.
    In fact, it was Bob who was working the audio/video switcher at the Closing Ceremony so rally-goers got on two big screens what was happening on stage, and what prizes had been donated.
    To not recognize Bob's contributions to the closing--and to the Sedalia rally itself --was, in the words of one rally goer, "an unforgivable snub" and I agree.
    To sum up, if you had a good time in Sedalia, you can probably thank Bob Aldridge.
    If you didn't like the closing ceremony, you can probably blame me.

Tom McIntyre, MOA # 24929
    Very impressed with how you handled the closing ceremonies.

As for Bob, while his contributions to the rally certainly deserve recognition, he's the kind of guy who thinks more about getting a problem solved than getting credit for solving it.

Stand up guy.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.)
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer,THE REF Staff)
    Iron Butt Association Member # 34281

Pocono Bill

Closing Ceremony

Yes we all have forgotten things from time to time, and the older I get the more I have forgotten. As a committee chair I worked with Bob and he contributed a great deal WE know that.

I would like to offer this comment. By using pre-taped presentations by our vendor-donors you put a (welcome) time limit on what they had to say. In the past, some went on far too long about their donation even though we do appreciate their gift. The video also gives other interesting information without prolonging the program. Continue to use it.

Good job!

Bill

I said it there and I'll say it again.

But then again, I was a noob and had nothing to compare it to. If the closing at the next 40 rallies is like this one. I'll never complain.

Thumbs up Job well done all the way around!

Great job on the closing ceremonies - we thoroughly enjoyed it (and not just because of the air conditioning, water and cookies)!

And, thank you to all of the Rally Chairs, Co-Chairs, and volunteers! What an amazing event you all put on!
    D'Lilah
    2012 R1200GS / 2000 R1200C / 2002 Yamaha TW200

My heart doesn't beat, it revs!!!

Mac, it's a live show and things happen. No apology necessary. It was the best Closing Ceremony ever thanks to you, Johnathan and Bob. A great team indeed. None of us including Bob do this for the recognition or to stroke our egos. We do it because we love this club and want to share good times with others. It's the same reason we attend as many rallies every year that time will allow.

On a lighter note, I must say watching the "fat man dance" was a rally highlight! See you down the road my friend.
    Chuck Manley #12106
    2012 Howlin' at the Moon Rally Chair
    Ambassador, Knights of the Roundel #333, IBA Member, Life Member NRA
    Black '13 R12GSA (the Outlaw), Black '02 K12RS (157K)

I was sitting behind the screen, I thought that was you Tom!
    Great job.
    19 BMWMOA Nationals under my belt, and I have no idea what I am doing.