Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Great rally, one downer

Quote Originally Posted by neraksr View Post
    Might need to stop and consider that the employees of MOA, work almost year round to put on this rally, they have to miss other rallies to meet deadlines, they work long hours and weekends in the few months coming into the rally to oil the machine. Plus work at the rally and put out fires when needed. Although some of the volunteers have previous knowledge, some don't - they need to be helped out at times also. As Paul pointed out, public 'figures' are fair game when they are out among the masses. Whether it was intentional rudeness (which I can't imagine), or just needed some personal down time, I personally feel your name calling is totally inappropriate.

Karen Smith
    Adding to Karen's post, I'd also like to remind everyone that those who volunteer at the rally are giving up their time to enjoy it. I willingly gave my time and efforts to the GS Giants. As a result, I never got to see a seminar. Missed every Anvil Shoot, every presentation, and every planned ride. I'm not complaining, just pointing out that that there were things I'd have liked to do and see but my time was committed elsewhere. I'm sure it was the same for Vince and all other volunteers and this should be taken into consideration by the nay-sayers.

Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    I wish they'd buy Vince a new printer.. he had the same sort of problem in Johnson City - and it was HOT in the room he was working in. Someone email the board and ask for a new poster printer for Vince W..
    Don,

I don't think it's the printer per se.

I think it is the responsibility of the paid IT staff to make sure Vince is good to go. Vince isn't a computer guy, he's an Editor.

A Fun Event For Some . . . . .

I think everyone attends the rallies for cameraderie, beer, good seminars and hopefully some new adventures.
    I have worked Johnson City and Bloomsburg as sign chair once and assistant sign chair. Please remember we're there to have a good time and the MOA crew and volunteers are there to help assure a good time.
    It is not a fun job creating, placing, replacing, adjusting and retrieving signs . . . it is a buttload of work.
    I can attest that Vince Winkel is a great guy and he handles an amazing amount of responsibility with aplomb. He is a true professional. I wish I had his creativity.
    It is a lot of work to pack up that tractor trailer and do the great job they produce.
    Campbell Tellman II
    Last edited by CTellman; 07-24-2012 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Typo

Smile

I wish they'd buy Vince a new printer.. he had the same sort of problem in Johnson City - and it was HOT in the room he was working in. Someone email the board and ask for a new poster printer for Vince W..
    I talked with Vince right after the printer broke. This thing just wasn't made to lug around in a truck from rally to rally and expect it to work every time. The repair guy had to come down from Kansas City, so lots of valuable time was lost just when we needed it most.

Vince is a little rough on the outside and a teddy bear on the inside. By Saturday, heat and exhaustion was probably just getting the better of him.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

OK...I'am sorry for the post. Vince has too many admirers! Should have kept my thoughts to myself. I did tell my son when it happened that Vince was probably just tired.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken F View Post
    One might ask why you had your grandson in a beergarten also.....
    Do you take him into bars with you too?
    The post didn't mention his grandson was under 21
    Riding a 2005 R1200GS and Loving It

Quote Originally Posted by 1TomMac View Post
    OK...I'am sorry for the post. Vince has too many admirers! Should have kept my thoughts to myself. I did tell my son when it happened that Vince was probably just tired.
    Not an excuse for being rude to a child though. So much for Camp GEARS. There's an old saying....Character is what's displayed when no one's looking. I certainly hope Mr. Winkle offers you an apology.
    keep it light enough to travel.....
    '04 R1150RT
    '81 Honda CB650 Custom

vincewinkel

Can VINCE chime in ....

Hi Guys, I'd like to make some comments.

First off, someone said they saw me at Spokane and I didn't say hello. I've never been to Spokane. That event was before my time with the MOA. LATE ADDITION - I WAS IN WISCONSIN (WEST BEND) AND APPARENTLY THAT'S THE RALLY TOM MEANT. I AM GUILTY AS CHARGED.

Secondly, I remember Saturday afternoon. I remember the incident but I think there are some things I'd like to clear up. For starters, it's a bit of a running joke that I say things like that to people. I meant no offense. I apologize for this misunderstanding, and if I offended your family members I am truly sorry. I was kidding.
    Saturday was also my seventh straight day in Sedalia, working 16 hour days and very little sleep and sort of high temps so I may have been just a bit tired. I was not at my best.

LATE NOTE: Tom M. is a great guy. We spoke late this afternoon, and had a very nice chat.

Thanks for reading,
    Vince
    Last edited by vincewinkel; 07-25-2012 at 09:47 PM.

First Impressions

Hey Everyone:

MAD DOG here, Beer Garden Chair

You know, it's tough to read a person in 30 seconds. Most people think that I'm a whack-job, but please, I ask, give it another 5 minutes.
    We all are under a lot of stress at the National. Walk in our shoes for an hour.
    Thank You.
    BTW...After 5 minutes, yes, ...I'm still a whack-job.

MAD DOG
    Beer Chair

Along the Banks of the Ohio River in Madison Indiana

Thumbs up

Mr. Winkle,
    Sir, you did and outstanding job with your staff putting on a great event!
    A job well done.

Mad Dog,

Your were just one of many NUTS that I met and talked to at the rally. Every one of them were nuts over BMW motorcycles. And thats what made it so much fun
    to attend!

It is a MAJOR waste of talent to have Vince printing signs, IMO.

He should be focused on creating content to share with people who can't come to the rally, working with members of the press visiting our rally, or any number of things that a person with his professiontal skills can do.

Ian

Chairperson thought:)

Vince has never been anything but helpful to my needs. Will give ya a ride in his cart if stopped and generally good egg. This subject is slightly short on thought, imo. He said the gripe word, wow! Randy

Vince

Met Vince for the first time Friday night up by the stage during the Sweepstakes. He saw my buddy and I smoking a cigar and was in hopes of us having a cigarette. Could not help him but enjoyed talking to him. I liked him but could see he was very busy.
    Ken Denton

This Stupid post I MADE.

I was in St Louis yesterday, and I was able to read Vince's post. So, I called MOA and Vince took my call. We had a good conversation, both apologized (me for what I said). And I apologize to all of you. Just read Vince's post. He is a GREAT guy also. I guess we have a mutual admiration thing (don't read anything into this statement!)
    Last edited by 1TOMMAC; 07-26-2012 at 09:13 PM. Reason: late edition