Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: This Year's Attendance

Hybrid View

This Year's Attendance

Has the final attendance been tallied?

Not official but somewhere over 5200 of the happiest rally goers ever.

Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

So down almost 25% from the 6700 at last year's rally. I wonder if the 10,000 member attendances from the past will ever be repeated?

Hope everyone had a safe and satisfying time.

Well, you've got at least two people going next year. Got my rooms booked and both my wife and I plan on volunteering. MOA really impressed us and we want to be a part of the next rally. But no chair positions, at least not in 2013.
    '09 BMW 1200 GSA, 2013 BMW 700GS, 2000 Goldwing SE, '09' V Star 950, '09 Honda Rebel,
    '77 Honda 750A. Holding at six til I get new garage built - need more room for more bikes!

Just my opinion but when you hold a rally in the middle of July in one of the hottest parts of the country you should expect the attendance to be down. This trend will continue as long as the MOA holds there national rally at one of the hottest times of the year. I know this subject has been beaten to death but no one should be surprised at the turn out. The national rally should not be a survival test and until the powers that be realize that, you will never see record setting attendance.

Quote Originally Posted by nytrashman View Post
    Just my opinion but when you hold a rally in the middle of July in one of the hottest parts of the country you should expect the attendance to be down. This trend will continue as long as the MOA holds there national rally at one of the hottest times of the year. I know this subject has been beaten to death but no one should be surprised at the turn out. The national rally should not be a survival test and until the powers that be realize that, you will never see record setting attendance.
    The record was set in July.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Quote Originally Posted by nytrashman View Post
    I agree. Must be we're the only ones who think this.

Record set in July????? Where? I'll bet it was in a northern area KNOWN for cool weather.

Just my $.02 worth.

Attendance...

First the location is going to have a huge role in attendance, perhaps even more than the weather.

As Co-Chair of the Vermont rally (well over 9k IIRC) I'd love to say we came up with a magic formula but we didn't.

It was the perfect conditions to break a record. As an aside even in VT we had a 90 degree day.

The economy had yet to crash.
    Within 500 miles of the rally site is the highest concentration of riders in the US.
    It was in Vermont. All those riders love to ride Vermont and can get there in one day, many can get there after working a full day. Plus folks from around the country know Vermont as a great place to visit on two wheels.

Now we have a double whammy of an aging demographic and a challenging economy that conspire against big numbers for the National.

As for the time of year, it's the same story. The retired folks or riders without families want a rally in a different time of year because there is a perception that no matter where we go it will be brutally hot. The riders with families want a rally when school's out.

It's weather and while you can try all you want it can't be controlled or accurately predicted when contracts are signed. All the board can do is look at historical averages and roll the dice. Last year Bloomsburg was a furnace, this year same week it was delightful.

I don't think Vermont will ever be topped for attendance but it can always be matched for quality because every National is pretty damn great if you ask me. I don't see a correlation between attendance and quality. IMO The only reason to worry about attendance is financial.

Quote Originally Posted by brewmeister View Post
    Absolutly!! They are stuborn indeed!
    Also is the attendance record more important than the rally itself??
    You know, I think you hit the proverbial nail on the head.

All this chatter about setting or breakiing attendance records. Why?

5,000 - 6,000 Rally attendees seems about right, given most venues we as a club end up reserving.

Too many and you tax your food, sanitation, MOA, logistical and seminar resources.

Enjoyed my time in Sedalia - lot's of happy faces.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

not if...

Quote Originally Posted by redsky49 View Post
    So down almost 25% from the 6700 at last year's rally. I wonder if the 10,000 member attendances from the past will ever be repeated?

Hope everyone had a safe and satisfying time.
    It will not likely happen if the MOA continues to ignore global warming and insists on holding the rally in insane sites in the peak of summer, can we look forward to Death Valley in july? I'm sure its available.

Quote Originally Posted by redsky49 View Post
    So down almost 25% from the 6700 at last year's rally.
    I'm glad it was not a record crowd. It made it easy to look at anything you wanted in the vendor area, never had to wait in line for a shower, and with the large fairgrounds there was plenty of camping space.
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Mongrel Owner
    I didn't go because of a medical issue that appeared a few weeks ago and left me with the curse of the "pre-existing condition" on my travel insurance.
    So, I amused myself by looking up the temperature in Sedalia every afternoon and telling my wife just how hot it was.
    But I still would have gone and I'm sorry I missed it.
    Now Salem, that's a long ways away.
    Hmmm.
    Cheers,
    Tony

Sedalia Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I'm glad it was not a record crowd. It made it easy to look at anything you wanted in the vendor area, never had to wait in line for a shower, and with the large fairgrounds there was plenty of camping space.
    AGREE. Dealing with large crowds and heat, makes the heat even worse.
    92 K75s (never sell), 97 F650st (sold), 04 R1100s (now owned by a deer), and about 10 others

This Year's Attendance

Yes, I too wanted to attend the rally in Sedalia, but after attending Bloomsburg last year in 101 temp with seminars being held in un-air conditioned barns and buildings, and vendors in poorly air conditioned buildings,I declined. I however want to thank all those volunteers that helped this year and those that made the Rally possible.

I truly enjoy visiting the vendors and attending the seminars last year. Perhaps this year the air conditioning worked adequately, but I was not willing to take the chance. I can't imagine enjoying 107 temps and sleeping in a tent with little relief. I admire those that can tolerate and even joy these temps, but I would be in denial to say that it would be fun for me.

I realize the logistics with changing dates, but hopefully some effort will be made to find cooler months of the year or higher elevations for the rally. Remember, those of us who work must take off also and not just those associated with school.

Jetsen55

Rally

I've been to Rally's all over the country and at different times of the year, spring, fall, summer from Daytona to sturgis, MB to Hollister and there never seems to be a perfect weather scenaro at any location....one of the largest and most attended rallies in the country that I sure you have all heard about in Sturgis SD can have 100+ days and huge rain storms and I dought there going to change the date of that rally to suit a few. As bikers it just what we do.