Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Networking with Women Riders

Lone Rider in a Lone tent

Along with my Lone Rider Tent by Catoma, my '83 R65LS, Little Red Baron and I travelled alone to the rally. It is empowering for sure and also very freeing as there is no signalling or catching up with other bikes to say ya want to stop to itch something, change something, rush at gas fillups, rest, and the usual after all that water consumption!! I rode part way home with a couple from my home area but then decided to go alone again as just less stressful...really. Don't worry, I never thought I'd think this way either!

Sometimes I worry about breaking down in all that heat. With the best pre-ride maintenance and a bit of luck, our bikes are pretty reliable. LRB out did himself as absolutely nothing went amiss. But just in case something does take us to the side of the road someday I think about how many bikes will stop to help...all those who wave, pretty well, and also think about ALL the new friends for life you will have a chance to meet and thank. Sure it might be a hassle at first....just try to relax, sit back, get water and shade and use the spot, cellphone, credit card, CAA/AAA, BMW anonymous book etc. to think you're way outta the fix. There is no need to rush with panic. It won't fix the problem any faster. One needs to be somewhat calm to think clearly. I just hope to be successful at staying calm! Not my best attribute! One reason to pack an umbrella.....shade.

Yup, riding alone is a good thing but even better would be the perfect riding partner. Very hard to find but the whole riding situation for long distances puts 2 people into a relationship that can be closer than an average marriage situation.
    So it is tough to choose a good riding buddy. I sure envy those who have someone though but in the meantime riding alone is just fine, given the tradeoffs.

Women riding on their own

Quote Originally Posted by suecanada View Post
    snip, snip

Sometimes I worry about breaking down in all that heat. With the best pre-ride maintenance and a bit of luck, our bikes are pretty reliable. LRB out did himself as absolutely nothing went amiss. But just in case something does take us to the side of the road someday I think about how many bikes will stop to help...all those who wave, pretty well, and also think about ALL the new friends for life you will have a chance to meet and thank. Sure it might be a hassle at first....just try to relax, sit back, get water and shade and use the spot, cellphone, credit card, CAA/AAA, BMW anonymous book etc. to think you're way outta the fix. There is no need to rush with panic. It won't fix the problem any faster. One needs to be somewhat calm to think clearly. I just hope to be successful at staying calm! Not my best attribute! One reason to pack an umbrella.....shade.

Yup, riding alone is a good thing but even better would be the perfect riding partner. Very hard to find but the whole riding situation for long distances puts 2 people into a relationship that can be closer than an average marriage situation.
    So it is tough to choose a good riding buddy. I sure envy those who have someone though but in the meantime riding alone is just fine, given the tradeoffs.
    I discovered last fall (on Labor Day no less!) that a breakdown is not the end of the world when the clutch on my R1150R gave out (splines were completely gone - expensive fix). And, yeah, there was some panic. But..... it's why the Anonymous Book lives on the bike. And it worked! A huge sigh of relief.

It is, indeed, tough to choose a good riding buddy. But when you find one, they are to be cherished. I'm half looking now but enjoy the alone time so much that I'm not in a tizzy about it (and dancing alone at the Fri and Sat nite entertainment was an absolute blast!). The pluses of riding alone are huge - like you say, you can do what you want, when you want, how you want. I wish I had had the chance to meet you at the rally. I rode a 1980 R65 from 1983 until 2005 when I got the bike I have now which I enjoy the heck out of! I've had to learn to slow down on it due to too many speeding tickets.

Louise

Louise and Sue, you truly are an inspiration to me. I, too, have recently "lost" my riding buddy of two years. No, not by death! Although in some ways, it feels like a death to me. Anywho...I am starting out my solo riding career this weekend going to the Damn Yankees rally, which is about 330 miles away from my house. No huge trip for most of you, but huge for me! I will be meeting up with another friend and her boyfriend about halfway up the route, but even though I am meeting up with them, I still feel "alone". I am packing on my own, with my own tent, shelter, etc., so the preparations are all just me. I have a lot of weekend trips planned through the end of September. One weekend I am meeting up with no one, so it will be just me. I want to see if I can learn to love the motorcycle (and camping) on my own, or if it was just me loving the common interest that we had fostered. He already rode and camped; I joined in and found it fulfilling.

I was unable to make it to the rally this year. I was in Bloomsburg last year, but didn't make an effort to meet a lot of people (honestly) because I was with him and our club. Now I wish I had done so. I have met Ardys (she came to our rally two years ago) and I loved her!

I am looking forward to new adventures and meeting new people on this next part of my journey. You girls are the best!
    Tonya
    2007 F800ST - Lovin' it!!

Get out there, Tonya! And post when you get back and let us know how you made out!

It's hardest to take the first step...er mile!

It'll be great!

Louise, we are all behind you 100 per cent. Someday, lets' make a point of meeting!! Maybe the Finger Lakes Rally on labour day weekend??

Sue who would love to meet some other riders on R65's even if it is not your current ride.

Quote Originally Posted by suecanada View Post
    Louise, we are all behind you 100 per cent. Someday, lets' make a point of meeting!! Maybe the Finger Lakes Rally on labour day weekend??

Sue who would love to meet some other riders on R65's even if it is not your current ride.
    I am going to Finger Lakes!!! This will be my third year, but first again "on my own"!! Who else?
    Tonya

Finger Lakes

Quote Originally Posted by tnevling View Post
    I am going to Finger Lakes!!! This will be my third year, but first again "on my own"!! Who else?
    The Finger Lakes rally is a great rally! I would go but my karma with that rally is weird. Every time I've gone over the years something has gone wrong with the bike and last year was the worst. So this year I think I'll go to the beach and not tempt fate. Call me chicken but I can't afford another $2500 repair bill (final drive had to be fixed too!). I've always gone to that rally on my own. You'll have blast at that rally!

Yes, we'll have to work on trying to connect!

Louise

Riding partners

Louise and Sue, you truly are an inspiration to me. I, too, have recently "lost" my riding buddy of two years. No, not by death! Although in some ways, it feels like a death to me. Anywho...I am starting out my solo riding career this weekend going to the Damn Yankees rally, which is about 330 miles away from my house. No huge trip for most of you, but huge for me! I will be meeting up with another friend and her boyfriend about halfway up the route, but even though I am meeting up with them, I still feel "alone". I am packing on my own, with my own tent, shelter, etc., so the preparations are all just me. I have a lot of weekend trips planned through the end of September. One weekend I am meeting up with no one, so it will be just me. I want to see if I can learn to love the motorcycle (and camping) on my own, or if it was just me loving the common interest that we had fostered. He already rode and camped; I joined in and found it fulfilling.

I was unable to make it to the rally this year. I was in Bloomsburg last year, but didn't make an effort to meet a lot of people (honestly) because I was with him and our club. Now I wish I had done so. I have met Ardys (she came to our rally two years ago) and I loved her!

I am looking forward to new adventures and meeting new people on this next part of my journey. You girls are the best!
    OK, so now I'm tempted to try to get to the Damn Yankees rally this weekend. It's just that my ride desperately needs an oil change and my appt. isn't until Saturday afternoon. Hmmmmm.

Losing a riding partner by any means most definitely is tough to take. I lost one partner who was a fellow club member to an apparent suicide which REALLY rocked my world. He was the one who encouraged me to do my first trip out west on the bike. The more recent loss was losing a life partner to alcohol which in some ways was harder to take. But you know, riding on my own has been a great healer and I have been having so much fun doing solo riding this year! I can't say enough to all the women who ride out there, get out and go for it!

Louise

Quote Originally Posted by BACook View Post
    I am a newer rider (3 years). My husband and I got back today from our first International Rally...had a great time. I was a little disappointed that I wasn't able to meet many other women who ride...those I did meet...I very much enjoyed talking with. My local club has very few women in it, what are some good ways to network with other women riders? Any websites, blogs? Any suggestions on how I meet other women riders? Thanks!
    I think a good way to meet other women riders is attending different rallies... of course this forum is very good... and other motorcycle forums.

Which part of the country are you in?

Welcome... I was at the rally.. sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you.
    Bye bye 2006 F650 GS for a 2011 F650 GS.

Enjoy the Finger Lakes! Enjoy it for me too! Are you going to the Damn Yankee rally too?

I am glad to hear you are attending some rallies. I wish I could be there!

Thanks, Anna...I am doing it!! Yes, going to Damn Yankees this weekend. Louise, it would be great if you could go!! Anna, meeting Kate (Loffkat) from F800 forum halfway up in Stroudsburg!! She is riding pillion unfortunately...had a little issue last weekend with her bike and it's at the bike doctor's.

Then going to Four Winds in two weeks, Finger Lakes over Labor Day, Virginia Twin Valley in September and ending with my BDB club rally in the Poconos. Not looking forward as much to that one because I have to work it...
    Tonya

Tonya, I'll be at BDB and possibly Finger Lakes. I'll be sure to look you up!

I'll be in Cabin #4 with the MARs group.

Quote Originally Posted by Newstar View Post
    Tonya, I'll be at BDB and possibly Finger Lakes. I'll be sure to look you up!

I'll be in Cabin #4 with the MARs group.
    Tracy, I already was planning on connecting with you!!! I will definitely look you up at BDB. Can you let me know about Finger Lakes? Wouldn't want to miss you!!
    Tonya

We would like to try to attend the Finger Lakes but that is about a week after hubby gets home from his Alaska adventure. We'll see what's going on that weekend.