Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Networking with Women Riders

rally time

Quote Originally Posted by tnevling View Post
    Thanks, Anna...I am doing it!! Yes, going to Damn Yankees this weekend. Louise, it would be great if you could go!! Anna, meeting Kate (Loffkat) from F800 forum halfway up in Stroudsburg!! She is riding pillion unfortunately...had a little issue last weekend with her bike and it's at the bike doctor's.

Then going to Four Winds in two weeks, Finger Lakes over Labor Day, Virginia Twin Valley in September and ending with my BDB club rally in the Poconos. Not looking forward as much to that one because I have to work it...
    Tonya, you sound like you've got a great lineup of upcoming trips! You go, girl!

Oh, decisions, decisions! I haven't even finished unpacking from the trip out to the International rally! But that should make packing for this weekend that much easier, right? I haven't washed the bike yet either! But the laundry is done! I've got someone else telling me I should go to the Damn Yankees rally, too. It's been many years since I've been to that rally....

BDB rally? Do tell....

Louise

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by NewEnglander View Post
    Tonya, you sound like you've got a great lineup of upcoming trips! You go, girl!

Oh, decisions, decisions! I haven't even finished unpacking from the trip out to the International rally! But that should make packing for this weekend that much easier, right? I haven't washed the bike yet either! But the laundry is done! I've got someone else telling me I should go to the Damn Yankees rally, too. It's been many years since I've been to that rally....

BDB rally? Do tell....

Louise
    I may even hit Color in the Catskills after BDB rally!! Have to see how I feel after all of that travel!!

Okay, Louise...sounds like you are going to come this weekend!! Your oil change can wait!! Wash the bike?? What's that?? I did wipe it down after getting caught in the rain on Tuesday!! Does that count?

Check the events calendar for the BDB rally. It is held at Indian Head camp in Honesdale, PA September 21-23. There is camping available, but you can also bunk out in a cabin, which is what most people do. Tracy is going with the MAR group; wonder if there is a bunk available in their cabin?? There are bathrooms and showers in the cabins so it does make it nice if the weather isn't great. The last two years the weather was awesome. Year before that, I think it rained pretty much the whole time. It is pretty pricey ($75 now, $85 at the door), but you get 5 meals with it in the beautiful lodge. The price is the same whether you tent or cabin it...we have a huge bonfire every night and usually one of our members provides live music if the weather is good (he is pretty good). There is a fun canoe "race" in the afternoon on Saturday if you don't want to ride that day. It gets pretty funny with the things people have to do in their canoes. I used to help with that; won't be helping this year as the guy who runs it is now my ex!! He can find someone else to help out!!
    Tonya
    2007 F800ST - Lovin' it!!

Rallies........!

I may even hit Color in the Catskills after BDB rally!! Have to see how I feel after all of that travel!!

Okay, Louise...sounds like you are going to come this weekend!! Your oil change can wait!! Wash the bike?? What's that?? I did wipe it down after getting caught in the rain on Tuesday!! Does that count?

Check the events calendar for the BDB rally. It is held at Indian Head camp in Honesdale, PA September 21-23. There is camping available, but you can also bunk out in a cabin, which is what most people do. Tracy is going with the MAR group; wonder if there is a bunk available in their cabin?? There are bathrooms and showers in the cabins so it does make it nice if the weather isn't great. The last two years the weather was awesome. Year before that, I think it rained pretty much the whole time. It is pretty pricey ($75 now, $85 at the door), but you get 5 meals with it in the beautiful lodge. The price is the same whether you tent or cabin it...we have a huge bonfire every night and usually one of our members provides live music if the weather is good (he is pretty good). There is a fun canoe "race" in the afternoon on Saturday if you don't want to ride that day. It gets pretty funny with the things people have to do in their canoes. I used to help with that; won't be helping this year as the guy who runs it is now my ex!! He can find someone else to help out!!
    I have yet to make it to the Color in the Catskills but I will someday!

I have re-scheduled my appointment for the oil change for my bike to another time so I'll be at the Damn Yankees rally. I'll be coming in the evening after work (my boss doesn't know yet that I'm leaving early tomorrow!). I'll be the lady on the midget silver R1150R (it's 2" lower than stock). So, I'll see you there!

I'm going to try to make the Green Mountain rally in VT and the BDB rally in the Poconos. I also have my own club's rally in between those two. So, my rally dance card for Sept. is going to be pretty full.

Yes, leave your ex to do his own thing. That'll make YOU happier.

Vroom, vroom!!

Louise

Baby Steps!

Quote Originally Posted by EllenR View Post
    D'Lilah, if you ever get a chance to attend one of Voni's seminar's don't miss it. She, as well as all of her participants are extremely inspirational.

Three years ago after listening to the ladies I vowed to myself that I would ride a solo long distance ride. I did that two years ago to Bend, OR (completing a SaddleSore 1000 on the way). Last year I rode solo across country to the seminar making a few side trips. Total of 7200 solo sMiles...and all inspired by the women I met at Voni's seminars.

If I can do it, anyone can.

Thank you again, Voni!
    Okay, so it's not quite a solo long distance ride, but you inspired me to venture out of my comfort zone. I got a new GS this past weekend, and I promised myself that I would start doing more riding solo. So, this evening, I took my first step toward that goal. I rode from downtown Chicago to Central Illinois solo - it's only about 150 miles, but it is far more than I've done on my own in the past.

And, it was AWESOME!!!!

My husband and I enjoy riding together (and, quite frankly, just spending time together) and have limited vacation time, so we always ride together. However, I knew this was a step I needed to take for myself. Now, I just need to figure out where my next (longer) ride will be.

Thanks for the inspiration, ladies!!

D'Lilah
    2012 R1200GS / 2000 R1200C / 2002 Yamaha TW200

My heart doesn't beat, it revs!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DLilah View Post
    Okay, so it's not quite a solo long distance ride, but you inspired me to venture out of my comfort zone. I got a new GS this past weekend, and I promised myself that I would start doing more riding solo. So, this evening, I took my first step toward that goal. I rode from downtown Chicago to Central Illinois solo - it's only about 150 miles, but it is far more than I've done on my own in the past.

And, it was AWESOME!!!!

My husband and I enjoy riding together (and, quite frankly, just spending time together) and have limited vacation time, so we always ride together. However, I knew this was a step I needed to take for myself. Now, I just need to figure out where my next (longer) ride will be.

Yea!!! Go for it!

Louise

Louise, I will look for you!! I'm on a blue F800ST with ginormous Hepco & Becker side bags!! It will be great to meet you!!
    Tonya

And, it was AWESOME!!!!

Congrats on your new bike and your accomplishment! Which GS did you get?

When I first started riding, I knew i needed to get over the fear of riding along. I started slow by going out for a 25 mile ride by myself after work. The next day I'd go a little further, then even further.

My first REAL solo trip will be in a few weeks. (The rally doesn't count since I was with fellow Giants for most of the way.) I'll be leaving Delaware for Niagara Falls, then through Ontario before dropping down to Mackinac City, MI to meet my husband on his way back from Alaska. 4 solo days total.

Good on you! There is nothing like the exhiliration of riding solo, though I have to admit I cried for the first hour my first long solo.

Paul' is mechanicing for the Cannonball Run in September and I'll be back to solo that month. As much as I love the two of us traveling, it'll be all different to be on my own again.

Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

Coincidence: Cannonball Run

Hi Voni,

I just was reading Darryl Richman's thread about his Cannonball entry on his 1928 R52 and his preparations on my R65 Forum. We R65ers have been cheering him on for over 1/2 year now on that forum. I gotta give him credit! That's a long haul on a 1928 bike. Having Paul and the others along as a support crew has to give one confidence!! Takes some organizing too!
    Next years ride out to Salem, Oregon for our MOA National will be a 4300 mile jaunt for which I would love a support team like Darryl's!!!!
    That Sprinter van they are taking looks the bees knees for the job.

Where do you think you may be riding Voni??

Sue in Meaford, ON

I'm loving all the networking/posting on this forum. Keep it up ladies. That's what it was created for.
    Last edited by womanridge; 08-05-2012 at 05:20 PM.
    Karen Jacobs
    2012 R 1200 RT
    MOA-133005, RA32109, IBA #37923

Louise, I never saw you at Damn Yankees!! Were you there? Lots of rain...!!
    Tonya

Damn Yankees rally

Louise, I never saw you at Damn Yankees!! Were you there? Lots of rain...!!
    Yes, I was there. I am bummed that I didn't get to connect with you!! I didn't get there until a bit after 7:00 on Friday and by the time I was done setting up camp I was scrambling to get some food (diabetic) which didn't work out too well. Mark and a couple of other YBs tried to get the grill restarted and just couldn't. So dinner was pretzels and a muffin. By the time I got done choking that down it was late and I was bushed. Next day I ran into a friend and we went out for a ride and got caught in that HORRENDOUS storm. What a ride that was!! Dana Lewis of the YBs was my savior when we pulled into the rally grounds. He got me inside a building, helped get my sopping wet jacket off (new untested jacket which failed), got me a towel to dry off with and wrap myself in so my teeth would stop chattering, and helped me calm down. Then the wait for the storm(s) to stop. When the rain let up enough so that I could make a dash for the tent that's where I was for another hour. I desperately had to get out of my soaking wet clothes because I was slowly getting colder and colder waiting for the storms to pass. Then dinner. Then cleaning up the sodden mess of wet gear. (I am in the awkward position of being without functioning rain gear right now.) I was fortunate in that my tent stayed dry. Then the music and then it was time to go home. I hope you had a good time! I imagine you got tagged with more rain on your ride home. I had a dry ride home and then spent the afternoon watching it rain some more. I have wet gear spread out all over my house drying out! And as I write this the thunder is rolling outside and I can smell the rain. I am going to try to get to the Poconos rally so hopefully we can connect then.

My search for a textile jacket that fits my middle-aged figure and is waterproof continues but that is fodder for another thread topic.

Louise

Louise, please send me your contact info in a PM. I can't believe we were both there, I didn't get to look around at all the bikes for yours, but we probably looked right at each other and didn't know it! I did meet Mark, and a few other YB'rs (bad with names) and I asked if there was a Louise that came when I went walking around in the rain (with my rain gear on) because I was tired of sitting under my Kelty waiting for it to stop! But they had everything put away up front so I didn't get an answer. I didn't know your last name either.

We got there around 4:30 Friday. Set up and went to Greenfield for food, drink. Didn't get back until about 7:00. Then we went for a ride on Saturday and got caught in the rain, but got back before the horrible storms. It was so bad!! Were out of the fairgrounds by 8:00 the next morning.

Hope to see you in the Poconos! You're not going to Finger Lakes? I can't remember if you said or not...

Just an FYI...I logged 840 miles this weekend going to the Mass rally. It was the most I've ever ridden on my own. I camped (using all my own stuff), set up and tore down and packed my bike. All on my own. It was different, for sure. Was it as fun? Jury is still out. I met my new friends, Kate and Anthony, and so I wasn't truly alone when at the rally. The next one in two weeks, I will be traveling and camping alone. THAT will different. I'll report back!
    Last edited by tnevling; 08-06-2012 at 01:50 PM.
    Tonya

Quote Originally Posted by suecanada View Post
    Hi Voni,

I just was reading Darryl Richman's thread about his Cannonball entry on his 1928 R52 and his preparations on my R65 Forum. We R65ers have been cheering him on for over 1/2 year now on that forum. I gotta give him credit! That's a long haul on a 1928 bike. Having Paul and the others along as a support crew has to give one confidence!! Takes some organizing too!
    Next years ride out to Salem, Oregon for our MOA National will be a 4300 mile jaunt for which I would love a support team like Darryl's!!!!
    That Sprinter van they are taking looks the bees knees for the job.

Where do you think you may be riding Voni??

Sue in Meaford, ON
    Paul and the whole group will have a fabulous time whatever fate throws their way! He promises to take pictures for me.

As to my plans, I'm giving a seminar at the Sippapu New Mexico rally and other than that I'm on a quiet wander. Time for just me

Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

And, it was AWESOME!!!!

Go DLilah, Go!
    Sue Rihn #43753
    BMW MOA Ambassador
    It's Billings in 2015! #BeTheAdventure
    Sometimes it's the bend in the road that makes life worth the ride.