Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Networking with Women Riders

Networking with Women Riders

I am a newer rider (3 years). My husband and I got back today from our first International Rally...had a great time. I was a little disappointed that I wasn't able to meet many other women who ride...those I did meet...I very much enjoyed talking with. My local club has very few women in it, what are some good ways to network with other women riders? Any websites, blogs? Any suggestions on how I meet other women riders? Thanks!

Sorry you missed our annual Women Who Ride seminar. Saturday But we did all agree to meet here so I'm hoping you'll make lots more connections on the forum. A beginning of life long friends!

Welcome!

Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

There are lots of us. The first women's off road ride was a huge success thans to the efforts of Jeannae Washington.

Tell us more about yourself and what type of riding you do. I'm sure you'll meet many of us by hanging out here.

I ride whenever I can, my husband did not think he would be able to go to the rally this year so I was planning on going myself, however at the last minute he was able to get someone to cover for him at work. We had a blast!

This was my first rally/trip without my husband. While I can't claim to have ridden the entire distance solo since I was with my fellow Giants most of the way, I have to say it was a huge accomplishment for me and I'm glad I did it!

Just out of curiosity how many women were at the rally ? It seemed as if only about 10% of the participants were woman. However, my mental percentages are always just estimates.

I Used to Be Someone sheridesabeemer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyGrownup View Post
    Just out of curiosity how many women were at the rally ? It seemed as if only about 10% of the participants were woman. However, my mental percentages are always just estimates.
    10% is consistently the number, fairly reflective of membership.
    Gail Hatch
    SheRidesABeemer's Blog
    05 R12GS
    87 K75CT

Of that 10%, I wonder how many are riders? I know there are getting to be more of us, but there are still a lot of ladies who are more comfortable on the back. I don't have an issue with that either - just wondered how many of us ride our own bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Newstar View Post
    This was my first rally/trip without my husband. While I can't claim to have ridden the entire distance solo since I was with my fellow Giants most of the way, I have to say it was a huge accomplishment for me and I'm glad I did it!
    Good for you, Tracy!! Proud of you!!

Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by Newstar View Post
    I ride my own, but I have yet to take any real solo trip. My husband is so amazingly supportive and actually encourages me to take trips in our neighborhood by myself. How awesome that you rode to the rally without your husband!

I'm really impressed by all of the women I read and hear about on this forum and in this organization that ride so many miles (so sorry that I missed the Women Who Ride seminar, as I planned on going but lost track of time). It inspires me to venture outside my comfort zone (which is generally riding with my hubby)! Thank you all for setting the example!
    D'Lilah
    2012 R1200GS / 2000 R1200C / 2002 Yamaha TW200

My heart doesn't beat, it revs!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyGrownup View Post
    I was the Awards and Tallies chair this year and I'm actually not sure of the exact percentage of women at the rally but we did take down that information and input it into the computer.

Lots of my women friends stopped by the booth to say hi so my perception is to say it was higher but that probably isn't true.

Sharon
    Sharon - WI Club, #GSGiants2014
    1999 R1100R
    1973 R60/5
    2014 - sold the sidecars and my super short GS! Bought a F650GS Twin

We difinitely had more women in the GS Giants area this year. Last year, there were two or three in addition to myself. This year, we had well over a dozen.

Great job, Ladies!

D'Lilah, if you ever get a chance to attend one of Voni's seminar's don't miss it. She, as well as all of her participants are extremely inspirational.

Three years ago after listening to the ladies I vowed to myself that I would ride a solo long distance ride. I did that two years ago to Bend, OR (completing a SaddleSore 1000 on the way). Last year I rode solo across country to the seminar making a few side trips. Total of 7200 solo sMiles...and all inspired by the women I met at Voni's seminars.

If I can do it, anyone can.

Thank you again, Voni!
    Ellen
    2009 F650GS Twin- loving it!
    IBA Premier member #44055

Connecting with Women in the MOA

Quote Originally Posted by Voni View Post
    Sorry you missed our annual Women Who Ride seminar. Saturday But we did all agree to meet here so I'm hoping you'll make lots more connections on the forum. A beginning of life long friends!

Welcome!

Voni
    sMiling
    Thought I'd chime in here. I rode to this year's International Rally solo from MA which makes this my third solo trip west of the Mississippi River - the first two were to CO and environs. I love doing these trips on my own for the freedom and the sense of empowerment I get. Even now most people I talk with are surprised that I ride mostly alone and for long distances. I encourage all of you to do the solo "thing" as it's such a kick and you learn so much about yourself in the process. I did this year's trip because I so needed the time alone after riding for the past several years with a H-D rider who in the end wasn't for me. I thoroughly enjoyed the Women Who Ride seminar - it was so great to be with other women who ride and hear their stories and feel the energy of being together. Wish I could get that on a weekly basis!

Louise

Quote Originally Posted by NewEnglander View Post
    Thought I'd chime in here. I rode to this year's International Rally solo from MA which makes this my third solo trip west of the Mississippi River - the first two were to CO and environs. I love doing these trips on my own for the freedom and the sense of empowerment I get. Even now most people I talk with are surprised that I ride mostly alone and for long distances. I encourage all of you to do the solo "thing" as it's such a kick and you learn so much about yourself in the process. I did this year's trip because I so needed the time alone after riding for the past several years with a H-D rider who in the end wasn't for me. I thoroughly enjoyed the Women Who Ride seminar - it was so great to be with other women who ride and hear their stories and feel the energy of being together. Wish I could get that on a weekly basis!

Louise
    You can get that great feeling. Here. Every day. If we all post more!

Thanks for sharing your joy in riding solo. There's sure nothing like it!

Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles