Thread: Quebec Province in August - Suggestions?

Hybrid View

Question Quebec Province in August - Suggestions?

Wandering around Quebec Province?

A number of us are planning a one week trip up and around Quebec Province at the end of next month (week of 18th-26th or so)..

We are planning on hanging out in Montreal for a night or two, then waffle via back roads along the river to Levis - where we'll stay - and take the ferry to Quebec's old city. Perhaps 2 nights at Levis.

I'm quite familiar with Quebecs old city - been there MANY times in the past 40 years (SWMBO and I took our first vacation together and accidently ended up in the Frontenac for 3 nights, back when it was $16/night..), but much less so with Montreal. Somehow I've always just driven through Montreal (well, I did spend a night there once when in college, trying to get lucky, with no success.. and I did go to the Worlds Fair there a few times.)

So - anyone have recommendations in/around Montreal?

Decent not horribly expensive place to stay that's bike friendly? And where there may be public transit to interesting downtown places?

Downtown places that are recommended? For food? Sightseeing? Is the underground city worth visiting?

How about between Montreal and Levis (figure the south side of the St. Lawrence) - anything not to miss? And then between Levis and the top of New Hampshire (we're going to waffle down through HN and VT on the way home.) I did pencil in Thetford Mines (just so the other people on the ride can see the worlds largest open-pit asbestos mine..) and Sherbrooke..

My usual goal is to stay off highways as much as possible.. I'm hoping one of our group had at least high-school French, although it's never been a big problem other times I've caged through QP.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    My only problem traveling in Canada is having huge holds placed on credit and debit cards for fuel sales, motel stays, and the like. $150 hold for filling a bike with gas? Yikes! The holds usually don't go away for a week, sometimes several days after the actual charges go through.

Others report a different situation, just be aware. Your card issuer may also shut your card off for traveling out of country. Happened to me in Nova Scotia last year, but I was able to get it turned back on as soon as I got in an area with cell service again.

Last year I couldn't find any places that took Visa in parts of New Brunswick and Quebec, but green cash usually works in most places. I also take Canadian currency.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Gopheride

Quebec & Montreal

I live across the river from downtown Montreal & have ridden the local south shore roads for 3 decades. I would gladly fill you in on what you can do and where to grab the smoked meat etc.
    Much construction & road repairs in the city .( suggestions can be made to get around without too much sweat). I suggest the south shore with easy access to the metro ( subway ) which would take you downtown in ten minutes. Small motels ( Comfort Inn etc are close to the two bridges & less expensive.
    South shore rides between Montreal & Levis are numerous ( rte 132 along the St Lawrence) throuh small french canadian villages etc.

I will give you more details if U R interested & also check on the hotel names for U.

Bryant

Bryant,

Thanks MUCH!

My plan was 132 - as close to the southern Saint Lawrence shore as possible all the way from Montreal to Levis. We have an entire day to do it, so it shouldn't be a problem of time. Some hints on good eats are always welcome, as would be any hotel recommendations for Montreal or the area. I'd rather stay out of the center of Montreal on the bike since that's just not fun - and use mass transit (Metro is great - at least it was the last time I was on it about 45 years ago..) to get in and out of town.

What I found interesting seaching on the web - I'm guessing it's the general world economy - but even 4 star hotels in downtown Quebec are having some really great rates - $130/cnd per night or less. Surprised me since last time I was up that way - rates were much higher. I guess people aren't travelling as much as they usually do..
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Gopheride

Montreal

will ck on south shore hotels & get back to you...day long metro parking at Longueuil Metro Station which is at the south shore base of the Jacques Cartier Bridge.

After 9:30 AM , one can easily ride over Victoria Bridge into Old Montreal in 10 min. Will give you some names of restaurants that are easy to get to & park.

132 from Montreal to Quebec city / Levis should be no more than 5 hr at a leisurely pace.

Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by redrider View Post
    will ck on south shore hotels & get back to you...day long metro parking at Longueuil Metro Station which is at the south shore base of the Jacques Cartier Bridge.

After 9:30 AM , one can easily ride over Victoria Bridge into Old Montreal in 10 min. Will give you some names of restaurants that are easy to get to & park.

132 from Montreal to Quebec city / Levis should be no more than 5 hr at a leisurely pace.

Bryant
    Bryant - thanks much! Looking forward to it. Perhaps we can get together while we're in the area.. I can PM you some contact info.

Don