Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Maine coast trip suggestions?

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    I'm all over New England for work and go to MDI plenty of times and never set foot in Bar Harbor, but I do like to people watch there on summer nights. I have customers and friends on MDI and get there at least half dozen times a year, times the past 35 years. Avoiding crowds is easy even in July and August -- there's a whole lot more to the place than BH. To me, it's often a jumping off point for a Quebec or Nova Scotia ride. I would have moved there 35 years ago but never did figure how to make a living from there.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Bar Harbor and Western Maine

I read the earlier posts and I although I like Bar Harbor during the off season, I wouldn't
    get near it during the summer months, the traffic is awful. There are a lot of nice rides along
    the coastline in Maine that will show you the "real" Maine as was said earlier. Another place that
    is well worth going is the mountains in Western Maine, some great riding there.........The Old
    Quebec Road from Solon will take you all the way to Quebec or you can peel off in Jackman and
    take a ride down "Moose Alley" to Greenville and Moosehead Lake. Route 11 that goes to Fort Kent is
    a nice ride too and a ride from Fort Kent down route 1 is really nice too. There are lots of great places
    to ride in Maine, although if you've never been to Bar Harbor, it's worth a look and the ride up Cadillac Mountain and the view is really nice. Have a great trip, explore the little places that are off the beaten
    path........you won't regret it. Have a safe trip.

If you get near Wiscasset, Main, you may want to check out Red's Eats (seafood stand).

I am told that it is a must if in the area.

My wife found the place in Country Living Magazine June 2013 issue. pg 124

We will be making a trip to Maine in July. A little over 9 hours to get there, about 400 miles.

Ride safe and enjoy the ride & life.
    MT helmet
    [COLOR=Red]NO ONE ELSE ADMITS IT[FONT=Courier New]

Rt 201 to Canada is a nice ride

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

Another nice short scenic excursion is taking RT 24 from Brunswick out to Orrs and Bailey Island. At the end of the peninsula there is a nice little gift shop and plenty of rocks to sit on and take in the coastal view..awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeK1200RS View Post
    The lighthouse depicted on the quarter for Maine is based on the Pemaquid Point Light located near Bristol, Maine.

My grown daughter and I visited there several years ago while my wife watched the grand kids. We found it to be quite interesting. A short way north of there, we stayed in a bed and breakfast that overlooked a fishing harbor. Sorry, can't remember the name of the place...there were lots of decent mom and pop places to choose from.

We went to a local seafood restaurant that the boats backed up to and unloaded...my daughter enjoyed her first lobster dinner there.
    The ship on the quarter is the Victory Chimes, http://www.victorychimes.com/
    We took a sail on it last year and can't say enough good things about the boat and the people.