Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Your thoughts on this close call video??

Quote Originally Posted by pffog View Post
    Agree, too fast for traffic. Looks to me like the SUV driver was attempting to pull in the pull out on the left, probably looked, but the rider profile was too low and small to see from their vantage point.

THAT is why I ride to right of the lane with oncoming traffic or around blind corners. The edge of the road does not move, moving stuff is unpredictable.

Rider should be glad he and the SUV driver had quick reaction skills.
    I recently put your "ride to the right" advice to good use on a twisty road where all the hot rodding cage drivers try to straighten the road out by crossing the double yellow and literally going straight, this they believe is high performance driving!

To those who say the scooter should have been going slower I offer this, What if he/she had been a little later to that point on the road? The suv [I]might[I] have been comitted to it's manuever and not been able to swerve back in line. Then there's the thought that had the scooter been going fasterthat it would have been past the point where the suv could have done it any harm at all. It's very difficult to weed out all of the possibilities.
    Paul
    "Friends don't let friends ride junk!"
    2011 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by pffog View Post
    Agree, too fast for traffic. Looks to me like the SUV driver was attempting to pull in the pull out on the left, probably looked, but the rider profile was too low and small to see from their vantage point.

THAT is why I ride to right of the lane with oncoming traffic or around blind corners. The edge of the road does not move, moving stuff is unpredictable.

Rider should be glad he and the SUV driver had quick reaction skills.
    There is certainly a lot of advice out there that when approaching a RH curve, especially a blind one, you should be out near the centerline to better see what is coming as well as the road surface. That is what I do, but with the knowledge that my speed must be low enough to move to the right if there is a car partially in my lane.

Do you disagree with that?
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Quote Originally Posted by BCKRIDER View Post
    There is certainly a lot of advice out there that when approaching a RH curve, especially a blind one, you should be out near the centerline to better see what is coming as well as the road surface. That is what I do, but with the knowledge that my speed must be low enough to move to the right if there is a car partially in my lane.

Do you disagree with that?
    No I don't disagree, yes, start wide as practical for the sight line, then be heading for an apex near the inside edge. In long blind RH turns I also enter as wide as practical for max sight distance, but the apex is then what you can see, then I ride the inside edge. Gravel is generally worse in the middle of the lane, and it is generally quicker and easier to move wide, than to tighten it up, should there be an obstacle.

On real narrow roads without two distinct lanes, hugging the right is prudent, except to gain forward vision when safe, even on LH turns.