Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What I built for my bike

Quote Originally Posted by 71243 View Post
    Very nice work on all.

Regarding the Givi plate, how did you make the rear latch piece? [If] you care to share?

Ron
    The two mushrooms and wedge are available from GiVi.

The plate is my own design and made with a hacksaw, file and lots of time and effort.

The rubber grommets are side cover grommets used on the GSA. They were perfectly sized for the purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by ANDYVH View Post
    Since our ranks are full of craftsmen, designers, engineers, artists, fabricators, handymen, etc, I thought a "what I built for my bike" post could be really interesting and inspirational. Sometimes all it takes is the idea, and belief it could be done, to make something cool or really useful for your ride. Better yet if you did it yourself!

On my 94 RS, I have been evolving it through the 18 years its been with me, as a way to make it fresh, new or more interesting each year. Perhaps I'm too cheap, or I really like the bike more as I tweak it to my needs/likes/wants. Here's my list for my 9r R1100RS:
    1. Handlebar; I fabbed mine from a handlebar I cut up/welded, off on a Kawasaki CR305, made in the style of a K75S handlebar. I used mounts from a Suzuki GZ250.
    2. Light bar; for the driving lights. I fabbed mine from aluminum bar stock. It mounts to the front underside/lip of the fairing, just below the oil cooler.
    3. Muffler; when the outlet tube cracked through at the back of the muffler, I decided what the heck, and cut the canister off to see what's inside. I designed my own free-flowing baffle system and had it TIG welded back together. Been on there now for 40k miles. Better sound, little lighter, not obnoxious at all.
    Seat; I just completed a double-bucket seat built up with high grade foam un top of the stock seat pan/foam. I did have a pro shop make the seat cover though.
    4. Rear rack; I just completed an aluminum rear rack plate for the Givi trunk I installed. I didn't like the way the Givi mount plate looked so "added on", on top of the stock tail rack, and it flexed too much for my tastes. So I designed my own rack , using the stock side rails and rear mounts.
    Andy, can you send some pics of your handlebar mods? I have a 96 R1100RS and thinking about changes. My wrists are beginning to suffer as I age faster than the bike!

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalRider View Post
    The stone/mud guard I made out of stainless steel sheet for my GSA...
    Always a pleasure and inspiration to look at your farkles GlobalRider.

I have NEVER seen the lower bits of a boxer look that clean. Not even a new one.

If one looks closely though, one can see that the bike has been run. There is some ever so slight blueing visible on the header pipe.
    Mike Marr
    1978 Yamaha XS750 (Needs rings), 1996 BMW R1100RS, 2004 Honda CRF230F

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalRider View Post
    The two mushrooms and wedge are available from GiVi.

The plate is my own design and made with a hacksaw, file and lots of time and effort.

The rubber grommets are side cover grommets used on the GSA. They were perfectly sized for the purpose.

Thanks, what holds the wedge on ? is it a bolt not seen ?

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by MotorradMike View Post
    Always a pleasure and inspiration to look at your farkles GlobalRider.

I have NEVER seen the lower bits of a boxer look that clean. Not even a new one.

If one looks closely though, one can see that the bike has been run. There is some ever so slight blueing visible on the header pipe.
    Thanks Mike.

That GSA isn't nearly as clean anymore since it is now being used for my Euro tours for up to six weeks at a time, so I only have so much time set aside for cleaning. But it is maintained 100%.

You ought to see the underside of my 1995 Porsche Carrera. Yeah, nuts!

BTW Mike, that stone/mud guard is quite sand-blasted now, but my engine still looks new.

Quote Originally Posted by 71243 View Post
    Thanks, what holds the wedge on ? is it a bolt not seen ?

Ron
    Two A2-70 flat head hexagon socket anti-tamper screws.

Nickname: Droid
    Here are some pics of the baseplate I made up for the Givi box. I just didn't like the added on look of the Givi base over the stock BMW tailrack. So I removed the stock rack and bolted my baseplate in its place. The plate is .375" T6061 aluminum, cut to my shape with a water-jet cutter, including the slots. The holes I drilled to reduce the weight. The "pins" are .50" hex head bolts with the position turned so the hex flats just fit the slots in the Givi trunk bottom. The rear catch I hand cut/drilled with a hacksaw to match the Givi catch molded on the Givi base.

Those silver vertical braces are actually 1/2" Sched 40 Alum pipe sections that fit exactly over the stock rack mounts. Inside them are long 6mm threaded rods that bolt the plate down onto the vertical braces. Simple and clean, easy. The only change I'll make yet is use long 6mm flathead screws, countersinked into the base plate so the surface is smooth other than the pins and latch block, and I may paint it black.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I don't know if this qualifies as something I 'built' but I made this l.e.d. modification on the cheap! Two bucks worth of led tape from Ebay, and a couple of electrical quick disconnects. The LED tape is behind the red plastic lense, with a silver foil background. Clear lights to make it justa little more jeweled look.
    Mike Davis
    "Old n Slow" It's a way of life!
    1985 K100RT

1998 R1100RT

advrider.com
    Some fine looking home-made farkles in this thread. Anything is possible with a mill and lathe. You guys should make some extras and sell them.

One day, I hope to make my own motorcycle from scratch (excluding rubber bits). I've got the tools (mills, lathes, aluminum foundry), I just need to get busy.

"3M High Intensity Grade Prismatic Reflective Sheeting (White 3930) was used under the reflectors of my GiVi luggage to improve conspicuity. The left panel has the 3M applied; the center and right panels are stock..."

How did you get behind the reflectors? I'd like to do the same for the GIVI topcase on my VStrom.

Quote Originally Posted by KimR View Post
    "3M High Intensity Grade Prismatic Reflective Sheeting (White 3930) was used under the reflectors of my GiVi luggage to improve conspicuity. The left panel has the 3M applied; the center and right panels are stock..."

How did you get behind the reflectors? I'd like to do the same for the GIVI topcase on my VStrom.
    If I recall, there are small screws holding them on that you get to from the inside of the case. Of course, it'll vary from make to make.

After getting a GPR steering damper for my F800GS, I realised not only could I not reuse my Wunderlich bar risers, the bars would also be moved further forward than originally. Aftermarket risers would not suit or work, so I modified the GPR mount and made my own risers and one piece top clamp.

Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

RT oil cooler rock guard

Made from a 1' sq sheet of stainless steel screen from McMaster-Carr ~$18.00. Band sawed to rough shape, then dremell cut off wheel to fit.
    Ken E.
    2012 R1200RT
    '09 RT, '93 K75, '69 R60US and others long gone....