Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bmw dealer experience review: Sierra bmw

Bmw dealer experience review: Sierra bmw

I have to announce how disappointed in the customer service (or lack thereof), that I received with a recent online purchase from Sierra BMW in Sparks, NV.
    This was my first experience with buying anything from Sierra BMW and it will be my last.

I Ordered an aftermarket "Hornig" Billet Ignition key head with a BMW roundel insert from them on May 29, 2013.

After a couple of weeks when the product had not arrived I sent off a "contact us mail" from the Sierra BMW website inquiring about the status of the order.
    Another week or more went buy......no response from Sierra BMW.
    I initiated a phone call and got hold of their parts representative "Lane Swall". When I asked him about the transaction and the lack of response to the mail, He seemed very "casual" about the whole sale.....announcing that he had seen my enquiry a couple of days ago.
    Lane told me that the Logo part which is sourced from BMW was on order from "Germany". We agreed that he would go ahead & send me the Billet aftermarket part of the order and forward the little logo when it came in.
    I received the main part on about 6/11 and continued my wait for the final piece.
    I received an update from Lane via email 6/21/2013 stating the following: The comments for your order are: shipped 06/07/2013; bmw logo to follow; thanks. ls

Your order has been updated to the following status.

New status: Partial Shipment
    Please reply to this email if you have any questions.

Upon receiving this notice I sent a reply email to Lane Swall asking for a clarification asking if this meant that the logo part had been shipped or if it meant that it was still on order?
    Today is 7/10/2013
    Again, I have no response from Lane.

It's been 6 weeks since my order and I don't have my item. It's 4 days till we leave for the BMW Rally in Salem. I expect I'll be going without my finished accessory.

Sierra BMW continues to advertise for sale of this item although they obviously can not deliver it. (See the URL below)
    http://www.sierrabmwonline.com/produ...2305861-p-1649

I have to say that not only am I very disappointed in Sierra BMW's ability to fill this order in a reasonable time.
    I am even more disappointed in Sierra BMW's utter lack of any respect for their customers in failing to respond to 2 separate email requests.
    I could never recommend Sierra BMW!
    Regards, Jeff Walker (ibjman)

PS: the part number I appear to be wanting yet is: 62 11 2 305 861. It appears to be a dashboard Logo for K1200.

BMW Rider
    Given a partial fill and date of what little e-mail activity took place sounds confusing. I assume the logo is on back order but there are no comments to that effect found within Lane's e-mail or your comments. Dealers are frequently flying blind when product is coming from Germany. It would appear that Lane is either incompetent or maybe severely overworked and undermanned due to the time of year. Maybe both.

Here is what I would recommend:
    (1) Using the logo part number contact another dealer and inquire about availability
    (2) If on backorder you may have no choice but to wait until the backorder is filled
    (3) If available contact the Sierra parts manager or if necessary the Sierra general manager or dealer principal to discuss unhappiness

I imagine the logo is a sourced item and ETA's from Germany seem to always be up in the air as the system leaves a lot to be desired. The dealer literally may not know what's going on. Pretty unbelievable in today's marketplace. The poor commentary of the dealers e-mail combined with the lack of further communication really needs to be discussed with a decision maker at Sierra. Almost all BMW stores are undermanned in the "season" and poor service is frequently the end result. You sound like you've done your share in the patience department. Time to take further action by contacting a decision maker and it's always nice to know the availability of the part ahead of that conversation.

I've made a couple online orders from Sierra and with one item the BMW instructions were wrong for my bike and I called and spoke with Lane and he spent about 15 minutes looking in his computers for the correct info and found it and emailed it to me right away.

I'm sure your logo is sourced from a small company that probably does a manufacturing run every so (not) often. Coupled with that coming from Germany, I'm sure your order just hit at the wrong time. That's no excuse for their lack of explanation, but it is a small item, in peak season where they are quite busy. It's not like you are waiting for a transmission. It's an annoyance, yes, but it's not cancer, so keep it in perspective.

BMW Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassicVW View Post
    I've made a couple online orders from Sierra and with one item the BMW instructions were wrong for my bike and I called and spoke with Lane and he spent about 15 minutes looking in his computers for the correct info and found it and emailed it to me right away.

I'm sure your logo is sourced from a small company that probably does a manufacturing run every so (not) often. Coupled with that coming from Germany, I'm sure your order just hit at the wrong time. That's no excuse for their lack of explanation, but it is a small item, in peak season where they are quite busy. It's not like you are waiting for a transmission. It's an annoyance, yes, but it's not cancer, so keep it in perspective.
    He's actually complaining about the lack of customer service/response time more so than the lack of the item.

There is no excuse for "dawdling service"
    David
    1989 K100LT

"Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

BMW Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by k100lt View Post
    There is no excuse for "dawdling service"
    I like that word "dawdling". The next time a customer complains we're being slow I'm going to explain we provide quality dawdling services!

How does an aftermarket company "use" the roundel on a key? Aftermarket implies(as compared to a system derived part) BMW licensing the roundel-I thought only "they" could use it?
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

Quote Originally Posted by billy walker View Post
    I like that word "dawdling". The next time a customer complains we're being slow I'm going to explain we provide quality dawdling services!
    I hope the customers are not Gus and Capt. Call.
    David
    1989 K100LT

Quote Originally Posted by billy walker View Post
    He's actually complaining about the lack of customer service/response time more so than the lack of the item.
    And I also addressed that concern.

BMW Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    How does an aftermarket company "use" the roundel on a key? Aftermarket implies(as compared to a system derived part) BMW licensing the roundel-I thought only "they" could use it?
    You are correct. This means that the key company in question is presumably paying a licensing fee of some sort.

BMW Rider
    And I also addressed that concern.
    Yes you did.

Thank you for noticing.

So, you're falling on your sword over a small accessory you could just as well have purchased at your local dealer?
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

BMW Rider
    Thank you for noticing.
    You're welcome!