Thread: Pulling trailer with R1200RT

Pulling trailer with R1200RT

What weights of trailers are people pulling with their RT's? Do you think the drive train will hold up as well as my LT did
    ??
    Last edited by tgf429; 07-17-2012 at 03:04 AM.

I pulled a Bushtec Quantum with several K12LT's, and I am currently using a UniGo. I am also now on an R12RT. I would not hesitate to pull a Quantum with the RT.

The trailer weight is not so much a drivetrain concern (remember, people used to/still do pull camper trailers with R100RT's), as it is a frame/subframe and brakes issue.

The frame/subframe on the R12 has proven to not be an issue, as shown by lots of R12RT's with Bushtec and DMC hitches.

The brakes on the RT are at least as good as the LT's and they are handling something like 250+ lbs less of bike weiht, to boot -- so no issue there.
    Mark Neblett
    Fairfax, VA

I have a Bushtec Turbo+2 that I use for camping and going to the beach. It weighs 140 lbs with a 350 GVW capacity. It pulls like a dream and you almost forget it's back there. I actually think it stabilizes the ride like a tail on a kite. The bike has plenty of power with two up cruising on the expressway and doesn't seem to stress it at all. It is probably easier on the frame / suspension since the trailer hitch tongue weight of 10%-15% of load is no more than 50 lbs.

I am very interested in the Bushtec trailers that you have mentioned. Is there anyway you could post a picture so I can see how they look with your bike. I also have a 1200RT...Thanks

Bushtec Turbo+2 pictures

Here's the trailer that was painted by Bushtec to match the Piedmont red (sent them the front fender to match).
    Also a photo of the Bushtec trailer hitch that I installed. Good fit and clear instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by j.castiglia View Post
    Here's the trailer that was painted by Bushtec to match the Piedmont red (sent them the front fender to match).
    Also a photo of the Bushtec trailer hitch that I installed. Good fit and clear instructions.

And now you better spent the money to paint that 49L Top case to match the rest of this beautiful set up.
    Jochen Woern - Sacramento, CA
    '13 R1200GS Adventure, Triple Black
    '05 R1200RT (SOLD!); '02 R1150RT (SOLD!)
    '73 Moto Guzzi 250 (stayed in Germany)

color match paint

That's exactly what I was thinking!
    Looks like a nice setup, interested in doing the same thing.
    Question, should I have my expert ( $$) paint shop paint mine, or the bushtec folks?

Reel Job
    2011 R1200RT/ Polar Silver

Nice. I will post some of mine if I can find them. Beware of the Dauntless (DMC) hitch, it has clearance issues and terrible customer service.

If I can pull a Bushtec Quantum with a 35 year old Airhead you won't have any trouble with your 1200RT.

They also sell hitches, and are excellent to deal with!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ambassador BMW MOA Ontario Canada
    President Niagara BMW Riders #298
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    1977 R100RS, (Retired) 1993 R100GS (just getting started)

Thank you so much for the pictures and the information. I really how it looks on the RT1200. I was thinking about the ZZ Trailer, but after seeing how great yours looks, I think I may have changed my mind...and don't sweat the tour pack, your set-up looks great. Maybe I will see you on the road someday.