Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Boots

Mind is not for rent
    Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    Both boots leaked badly after two months. Boots bought in mid-2010. All day rain.

The only way I've EVER had waterproof boots is to wear rubber over them, no matter the claims from the internet, manufacturers, or any of the dozens of Inca Rain Gods I've heard about.
    Odd. I've been caught in my share of frog-stranglers, and I've never had a waterproof boot leak. Then again, I treat the leather on a regular basis, so that probably helps. Hell, my CBT Lites aren't advertised as waterproof, but they don't leak either.

I treated myself to a pair of Aerostitch Combat Lites (CBT) and am so far very impressed.
    They are a heavy boot, fine for off the bike walkarounds, I wouldn't take them out on a ten mile hike however.

Have only had them in a light rain and so far so good. Some claim that with a bit of weather proof goop applied they will be waterproof (99% anyway). I can't vouch for that yet, but the design is very impressive in that the leather used wraps around the boot with only one seam. Regardless of it being a boot, jacket, or glove; I have always found seams to be the first place leaks begin.

I elected not to go Goretex this time out to get a bit more breatheability....they do feel a bit cooler than other Goretex boots I have worn.

My last boots were decent for the day (ten year old First Gear I think), but feel like house slippers compared to the CBTs. The CBTs are a very tough boot, I hate to test the theory, but am confident you could low slide them repeatedly before any burns or abrasions got to skin.
    Last edited by wecm31; 07-17-2012 at 07:46 PM. Reason: clarification
    Gerald P
    The last thing I want to be is just like everyone else...
    1985 R80RT
    1969 Sport Fury Convertible

TCX works best for me. I can wear them for 12-14 hours and still be comfortable. I have AirTech for hot weather and X5 Gore Tex for everything else.

Sidi On Road... I wear them to work so I am in them for over 14 hours at a clip. Totally waterproof. I do polish them twice a year and after that treat them with mink oil....
    Keep the rubber side down!!
    1986 R 80 RS
    1992 R 100 R
    BMW MOA Life member; Ironbutt Member; Airhead Member

Quote Originally Posted by wkottd View Post
    +1 on BMW all around boots!

Bill
    +2 - have been waterproof in real frog stranglers, comfortable to walk in, not horribly priced, and did I mention comfortable to walk in (which many moto boots are not.) Fit well out of the box, and with about 60k miles on them, still fit well and still keeping my feet dry. I wax them once a year and they look almost new.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

You haven't said whether you want to wear your pants inside or outside of the boots. I have a pair of Danner logging type boots which are not motorcycle specific but they are stout footwear, lace up snug to my foot, and are gore-tex lined. They're about an 8 inch boot, very comfortable on/off the bike. Ridden thousands+ miles and completely satisfied.

As for Aerostich combat lites, I'll have a pair soon. I like the idea of being able to cinch them tight with the inner speed laces. They will require a good waterproofing as they are plain (very stout) leather.
    Last edited by Brian-NC; 07-25-2012 at 11:47 AM.
    Brian-NC
    (Matthews)
    Current bike
    2010 RT Ostra Grey

If you tuck your pants into the boots when it's raining, seems that would guarantee wet feet.
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

Quote Originally Posted by BCKRIDER View Post
    If you tuck your pants into the boots when it's raining, seems that would guarantee wet feet.
    Yes, of course. One would assume the rider that wears their boots on the outside of riding pants, like leathers, would have a rain suit handy.
    Brian-NC
    (Matthews)
    Current bike
    2010 RT Ostra Grey

Sidi Adventure Gor-Tex. Been riding for over 40 years and these are the best I have ever had. Great all around. Expensive but can be resoled and will outlast four pairs of cheaper boots. My 2cts worth.
    Tim2

Aerostich Combat Lites

After being a boot-whore for years I finally bought a pair of Aerostich Combat-Lites, and after nearly two years and 30,000 miles I can say that they're the best riding boots I've ever owned.

They aren't advertised as "water-proof," and they do not have Gore-Tex, but they're made of thick quality leather. I put Sno-Seal on them every few months and my feet have never been wet even in heavy rains. Also, my experience with Gore-Tex is that the stiching attaching the Gore-Tex to the boot eventually fails and the boot becomes leaky. That happened with several pair of Gore-Tex boots that I've worn. After wearing the Combat Lites, I'm convinced that quality leather plus Sno-Seal is the way to go.

That, and they're cooler in the summer than Gore-Tex lined boots. My feet breathe better in the Combat Lites than in my Oxtar Airtech mesh boots lined with Gore-Tex. In fact, I used to wear one pair of boots in the winter and the Airtechs in the summer. No more. I wear the Combat Lites year round.

A lot of people will say that they're too stiff, take too long to break in, too heavy for walking, etc..., but that's not been my experience. When new they are stiff, but after a couple of weeks of daily wear they're already molding to your feet. They don't require any of the more bizarre things you'll read, like dunking them in water and walking around in them. Just wear them and let them break in. I frequently wear them all day at the office and my feet have never been uncomfortable. I wouldn't go on a five mile mountain hike in them, but I've worn them on all day rides where I've walked quite a few miles over the course of the day, and my feet have never felt bad.

The retention system is the best. The inner laces that tighten the boot under the velcro works very well.

I've worn BMW All-Rounds, Oxtar Matrix (the two are very similar), Cruiserworks boots, BMW ProTouring, and some kind of Sidi Touring boot with Gore-Tex, and I'll stick with the Combat Lites.

BTW, I got and prefer the cleated soles. I'll probably have them re-soled next spring as the left sole is getting a bit smooth.

I wrote a lengthy review a couple of months after I got them which you can find using the search function. Good luck, and let us know what you do.
    Last edited by mistercindy; 07-27-2012 at 02:17 PM.
    Grant
    '05 R1200GS
    Former owner of an '03 R1150R
    BMWMOA #113847

I have Vendramini's and like them. I have went for 5 mile walks in them with no problem. Had them for 5 years and still look decent.

Quote Originally Posted by mistercindy View Post
    After being a boot-whore for years I finally bought a pair of Aerostich Combat-Lites, and after nearly two years and 30,000 miles I can say that they're the best riding boots I've ever owned.

They aren't advertised as "water-proof," and they do not have Gore-Tex, but they're made of thick quality leather. I put Sno-Seal on them every few months and my feet have never been wet even in heavy rains. Also, my experience with Gore-Tex is that the stiching attaching the Gore-Tex to the boot eventually fails and the boot becomes leaky. That happened with several pair of Gore-Tex boots that I've worn. After wearing the Combat Lites, I'm convinced that quality leather plus Sno-Seal is the way to go.

That, and they're cooler in the summer than Gore-Tex lined boots. My feet breathe better in the Combat Lites than in my Oxtar Airtech mesh boots lined with Gore-Tex. In fact, I used to wear one pair of boots in the winter and the Airtechs in the summer. No more. I wear the Combat Lites year round.

A lot of people will say that they're too stiff, take too long to break in, too heavy for walking, etc..., but that's not been my experience. When new they are stiff, but after a couple of weeks of daily wear they're already molding to your feet. They don't require any of the more bizarre things you'll read, like dunking them in water and walking around in them. Just wear them and let them break in. I frequently wear them all day at the office and my feet have never been uncomfortable. I wouldn't go in a five mile mountain hike in them, but I've worn them on all day rides where I've walked quite a few miles over the course of the day, and my feet have never felt bad.

The retention system is the best. The inner laces that tighten the boot under the velcro works very well.

I've worn BMW All-Rounds, Oxtar Matrix (the two are very similar), Cruiserworks boots, BMW ProTouring, and some kind of Sidi Touring boot with Gore-Tex, and I'll stick with the Combat Lites.

BTW, I got and prefer the cleated soles. I'll probably have them re-soled next spring as the left sole is getting a bit smooth.

I wrote a lengthy review a couple of months after I got them which you can find using the search function. Good luck, and let us know what you do.
    The combat lites are re-soleable and this, to me, is very important. With the exception of the Sidi On Roads the rest of the boots mentioned here are not. My Danners are re-soleable but as I said, they are not motorcycle specific.

BTW, those Aerostich Combats and Combat Lites are made by Sidi.
    Brian-NC
    (Matthews)
    Current bike
    2010 RT Ostra Grey

Pusser's Pyrate Society Zygmund's Avatar
    Combat Lites!
    '02 R1150RT

I have BIG feet, Size 14 extra wide. The only motorcycle dedicated boots I can find are Cruiserworks, and they are quite comfortable and remain waterproof after years of use and being resoled.

Josh

beemerfield
    Aerostitch Combat. I waterproofed them before I ever wore them (very much). They've been great for many years and I can walk in them w/ no problem.
    beemerfield