Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Boots

Boots

This might come as a strange question, but anybody have a good recomendation on an all purpose riding, walking, comfortable, waterproof boot?

I've been very happy Sidi on-roads. Very comfortable walking around, and wearing all day. Meet all your requirements, and armored too!
    IBA #44567 Pres. Springfield BMW Roadriders
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    -Albert Eienstein

Boots

+1 on Sidi. Mine are Canyon Gore-Tex and I love them. Vibram type sole, comfortable to wear and walk in and they are waterproof.

Quote Originally Posted by skotlyc View Post
    This might come as a strange question, but anybody have a good recomendation on an all purpose riding, walking, comfortable, waterproof boot?
    skotlyc, I see that you are a newcomer to the Forum as is the last poster, ptech with his first post. I would like to welcome both of you.

Let me assure there is a ton of information and opinion here. The trouble with asking such a simple question as the one quoted, is that it has ALREADY been asked and discussed at length. A lot of folks don't want to get into it one more time.

Rather than wait for the replys to pour in (I suspect they won't) try typing "riding boots" in the upper right hand box before SEARCH then hit the search button. You will get a lot of "chaff" along with some "wheat," and I confess I am not very good at doing this. If you get too frustrated, try looking in the third Forum from the top, "Forum Specific Software Help" for information on how to search the Forum. Still frustrated? In THAT forum start a new thread "how do I find info on riding boots?"

You WILL get help. Sorry that I am not able to be more specific on this question as my skills are pretty limited. Just wanted to point you in the right direction. You are really welcome here and hope you will soon figure out how to make this Forum both informative and entertaining.
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

If you want a quick answer to your question, this is from my memory of what I have read here and also personal experience.
    1. BMW "all-around" boots have a LARGE following and meet all your requirements. That was my choice with zero complaints.
    2. Sidi boots also have a large following, but I couldn't find them locally.
    3. Aerostich "light combat" boots have a large following. Take some "breaking in" but may last longer than some others.
    4. Since I wanted exactly what you want a couple years ago, I went around to all the local MC shops and took my heavy long "motorcycling socks." Alpinstar makes a boot almost identical to the BMW "all-around" - same Goretex lining, very similar features and price. After finding a boot that fit, I walked around the store for awhile and paid attention to what my feet were telling me. They told me the BMW boots were perfect and the Alpenstars were not quite. BUT, your feet may tell you the exact opposite. Helmets, boots and gloves are just three things I hate to buy untried on my body.

This is a very short and incomplete synopsis of all the info you will find on boots on this forum.
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

Mind is not for rent
    Gaerne Balance Oiled, if you can live with brown boots. I've had my pair for about a month and put around 8,000 miles on them. They're waterproof, not too hot (worn them in 110 degree weather), and ridiculously comfortable.

I have a pair of the Aerostich Combat Lites as well, and they're nice, but nowhere near as comfortable.

Just picked up a pair of these Sidi Way Rain boots, and for $109.00 can't be beat. I got size 48 European which is 13 US and they fit perfectly with a little room for insoles and heavy socks for colder riding. They only have a few sizes, so you might get lucky.

I have had them for a week and they are very comfy, but a bit warm in this weather to walk in. Stepped into my kids kiddy pool and they were perfectly waterproof, but I haven't worn them in rain yet.

Check it out.

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...cle_boots.html
    Integrity is what you do when no one is looking.

2008 R1200R Black

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 05Train View Post
    Gaerne Balance Oiled, if you can live with brown boots. I've had my pair for about a month and put around 8,000 miles on them. They're waterproof
    They will not be waterproof for long.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    I have had my Gaerne Balance Oiled boots for 4 years, 2 cross country trips, lots of rain and they have not leaked.
    Great boots.

BMW all around boots. they're extremely comfortable, waterproof, and light.
    "all things in moderation - including moderation"

On the Road
    +1 on BMW all around boots!

Bill

Mind is not for rent
    Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    There are quite a few anecdotal posts on various forums that don't bear that out. Care to share your experience?
    Last edited by 05Train; 07-17-2012 at 03:00 PM. Reason: atrocoius sentence structure

Rocky workboots. Lace-ups, get the sewn-on soles. Completely waterproof. I got the steel toe high tops. I've had these for years, have replaced them. Warm in the winter, plus they breath in the summer. They run about 180.00 at fine work shoe establishments. The reason I encourage sewn-on soles is that I've bought some very expensive boots and my experience is that they eventually come unglued and let in water. I prefer the steel-toes, because they double as safety boots where required.

Quote Originally Posted by ptech View Post
    +1 on Sidi. Mine are Canyon Gore-Tex and I love them. Vibram type sole, comfortable to wear and walk in and they are waterproof.
    +2. As Doug (BCKRIDER) pointed out, this topic has been hashed out several times over the past few months and all of the posts are available by searching within the Gear section.
    Craig
    New York's Hudson Valley Region
    2009 R1200RT
    MOA #146131 IBA #55715

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 05Train View Post
    There are quite a few anecdotal posts on various forums that don't bear that out. Care to share your experience?
    Both boots leaked badly after two months. Boots bought in mid-2010. All day rain.

The only way I've EVER had waterproof boots is to wear rubber over them, no matter the claims from the internet, manufacturers, or any of the dozens of Inca Rain Gods I've heard about.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)