Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 34

Thread: Yep I am a wimp

  1. #16
    Registered User kgadley01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    3,532
    Last year in Bloomsburg taught me a lesson. I'll be staying home this year. Those of you that go, be careful and ride safe...
    AKA SNAPGADGET
    Lifes too short to ride an ugly Motorcycle

  2. #17
    TravelsWithBarley.com
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Stowe, Vermont
    Posts
    994
    Last Thursday when Barley and I set out from Vermont the only certainty was that conditions would change and I would have to be responsible (for both of us) in the choices I made. I most certainly wish it was cooler, but having prepared for every contingency I could think of, we're ready and are closing in on Sedalia.

    Being an early riser by nature, on this trip I find myself waking up at 3:30 and on the road by 5:00. It's actually quite pleasant, though the scenery is hard to make out till the sun comes up. About 9:00 we refuel, and I buy a 5# bag of ice. My camelback and Barley's are filled, and the extra goes into a small Igloo cooler. As mine melts I drink it. Barley lays on his to keep cool. We stop every hour to hydrate, using the melting ice in the cooler. I spritz both of us before getting underway again to get some evaporative cooling going. In the midday heat we find a stream and pull over. Today Barley enjoyed swimming in the 55F water of Mammoth Springs, Arkansas, with a family of tourists from Oklahoma. At the rally, in the heat of the day, we'll be inside the air conditioned vendor buildings.

    My one concession to the heat is that at night we're staying in an air conditioned hotel. We were planning on camping on site, but I can't ask my dog to do that in these conditions. My point is if you want to go, make some decisions and alternative arrangements. It's insane to ride in the midday heat and humidity, so have other plans for those hours.

    My hotel, btw, is in Warsaw MO, about 34 miles south of the rally and right on Lake of the Ozarks (another option for the midday heat). There were two hotels in that area with a few vacancies if anybody is looking.

    Best to all, no matter which way you decide to go.
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

  3. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Daphne, AL
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by Jogitu View Post
    Why don't they just hold the Rally in the fall or spring? Is this the same brain trust that decided suspenders and trucker hats would fly off the shelf?
    It would not be the MOA way of doing thing's if it was not held in the month of July. I have already done my 100 degree riding this year, so I will not be traveling to this rally. So call me wimp because I will not be there no matter how many air condition buildings they have on the grounds.
    Michael Johnston
    Founder: Veteran BMW Riders Name Change to: BMW Club Veteran Riders international
    www.veteranbmwriders.org

  4. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Piedmont area of NC.
    Posts
    723
    The subject of moving the rally dates to something more reasonable "Temp "wise was beat to death after last year.

    My thinking is that since we do have all this global warming talk in effect , maybe soon we will be discussing holding the national in November.

    If the average age of the MOA members is as old as i think it is , and most of us are retired or unemployed anyway, why not move it to later or earlier in the year as the location and temperatures dictate.

    As I get it now the rally is like a moveable feast with a different geographical location every year . I think it's worth looking at.

    Yes i get it that we need this huge space to accomodate all the events , vendors and the multitudes of thousands who attend, but there has to be an alternative to 100 degree heat and the attendant misery.

    What do the Goldwing folks do ?
    They number in the bajillions and they have big rallies all the time ?

  5. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by glenfiddich View Post
    Last Thursday when Barley and I set out from Vermont the only certainty was that conditions would change and I would have to be responsible (for both of us) in the choices I made. I most certainly wish it was cooler, but having prepared for every contingency I could think of, we're ready and are closing in on Sedalia.

    Being an early riser by nature, on this trip I find myself waking up at 3:30 and on the road by 5:00. It's actually quite pleasant, though the scenery is hard to make out till the sun comes up. About 9:00 we refuel, and I buy a 5# bag of ice. My camelback and Barley's are filled, and the extra goes into a small Igloo cooler. As mine melts I drink it. Barley lays on his to keep cool. We stop every hour to hydrate, using the melting ice in the cooler. I spritz both of us before getting underway again to get some evaporative cooling going. In the midday heat we find a stream and pull over. Today Barley enjoyed swimming in the 55F water of Mammoth Springs, Arkansas, with a family of tourists from Oklahoma. At the rally, in the heat of the day, we'll be inside the air conditioned vendor buildings.

    My one concession to the heat is that at night we're staying in an air conditioned hotel. We were planning on camping on site, but I can't ask my dog to do that in these conditions. My point is if you want to go, make some decisions and alternative arrangements. It's insane to ride in the midday heat and humidity, so have other plans for those hours.

    My hotel, btw, is in Warsaw MO, about 34 miles south of the rally and right on Lake of the Ozarks (another option for the midday heat). There were two hotels in that area with a few vacancies if anybody is looking.

    Best to all, no matter which way you decide to go.
    Pete - I'll probably be up riding early to see the sights. If you're up for meeting up near the Lake, send me a PM. I'm camping with the Chartered Clubs, but I only have to be responsible for myself.

    I'd love to check out your rig and meet Barley.

    Mark

  6. #21
    TravelsWithBarley.com
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Stowe, Vermont
    Posts
    994
    Mark,

    I'll be parked with the Vermonters in the Chartered Club area. I say that out loud because I promised many a shot of 15 year old Glenfiddich (a toast to a wonderful dog by that name we lost to cancer several years ago), and they all need to know where to find me at the end of the day.

    We have Water Oasis duty first shift, so morning rides are out for us. After the vendors and the how to sessions, and the obligatory drinks (non-alc for me since I'll be riding back to the hotel each evening) I might be game.

    I'd offer you a sleep over but my room has one bed and I don't know you that well.
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

  7. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Weston, Tx
    Posts
    377
    Barley does not exist if there are no pictures.......... I love dogs and I am sorry for your lose. Travel safely with man's best friend.

  8. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by glenfiddich View Post
    Mark,

    I'll be parked with the Vermonters in the Chartered Club area. I say that out loud because I promised many a shot of 15 year old Glenfiddich (a toast to a wonderful dog by that name we lost to cancer several years ago), and they all need to know where to find me at the end of the day.

    We have Water Oasis duty first shift, so morning rides are out for us. After the vendors and the how to sessions, and the obligatory drinks (non-alc for me since I'll be riding back to the hotel each evening) I might be game.

    I'd offer you a sleep over but my room has one bed and I don't know you that well.
    Pete - I'll look for you - hard to miss your rig. I'm with the BMW Riders Club of WNY - we'll be rolling in after 6pm on Thursday. I'll be on a blue and white 1150GS - another tough to miss bike.

    Travel safe!

    Mark

  9. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Rosseau Ontario Can
    Posts
    4

    Why?

    How could the MOA not know that it would be a blast furnace in Missouri in july? Even if the temps. were normal it would be 90 feels like 100 plus degrees. So next year we go back to where we were 3 years ago, why? I'm Canadian but when I look at a map of the states it looks big. But seriously when do we admit we've changed the climate and now we've got to live with it. So if the national rally is to continue to be held annually the date must be moved, higher elevations and sites near large bodies of water (great lakes, oceans) should be the first picks. To all those going this year be aware you are going into a hostile environment, no joke, use caution. All the best to my fellow riders.

  10. #25
    TravelsWithBarley.com
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Stowe, Vermont
    Posts
    994
    Quote Originally Posted by moralem View Post
    Barley does not exist if there are no pictures.......... I love dogs and I am sorry for your lose. Travel safely with man's best friend.
    All my USB ports are tied up recharging things, but here's one from an earlier training ride.

    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

  11. #26
    beemermark
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    3
    Gonna make the trip this year even though the heat will be unbearable! Hopefully getting half the trip done in the morning before it is off the scale. Thank goodness for a friend 20 miles away with a new 5th wheel. Should be there when we arrive. Otherwise we would definitely be out this year too.
    Mark Mumaw

  12. #27
    advrider.com
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,192
    Quote Originally Posted by Jogitu View Post
    Why don't they just hold the Rally in the fall or spring? Is this the same brain trust that decided suspenders and trucker hats would fly off the shelf?
    Go to any BMWMOA related event. It's a sea of suspenders.

  13. #28
    Registered User AKsuited's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    New York State
    Posts
    587
    Quote Originally Posted by glennbolder89799 View Post
    How could the MOA not know that it would be a blast furnace in Missouri in july? Even if the temps. were normal it would be 90 feels like 100 plus degrees. So next year we go back to where we were 3 years ago, why? I'm Canadian but when I look at a map of the states it looks big. But seriously when do we admit we've changed the climate and now we've got to live with it. So if the national rally is to continue to be held annually the date must be moved, higher elevations and sites near large bodies of water (great lakes, oceans) should be the first picks. To all those going this year be aware you are going into a hostile environment, no joke, use caution. All the best to my fellow riders.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

    I saw the handwriting on the wall a year ago and had central air installed at my house.

    Harry
    2003 R1150RT - Silver

  14. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Evanston, IL
    Posts
    13

    Lake Michigan beckons

    My hotel reservation in Sedalia was cancelled on me, which I'm taking as a sign. Given the weather forecast, I'm leaving tomorrow for a circle around Lake Michigan instead of Sedalia. I hope all those that attend the rally have a great time and stay hydrated!

  15. #30
    cpolesen cpolesen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    8
    So is this a bust? I would attend if I could sleep inside.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •