Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 34

Thread: Yep I am a wimp

  1. #1
    Registered User miairhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Otsego, Michigan
    Posts
    2,195

    Yep I am a wimp

    It is too hot this year, http://www.wunderground.com/US/MO/Sedalia.html

    There is no way I can take the heat in Sedalia, I will pass on spending riding in 100 degree temperatures. Two operations in the last 8 months, and heat like this nope not my kind of riding. A hundred degrees and lots of hot people, yep I pass. Enjoy the rally, drink plenty of water, and coverup.

    Hope everyone has a safe and manageable trip. I be glade to get my winning motorcycle some other time.
    Tom
    '84 R100RT '04 CLC(gone) Honda NT700V
    BMW
    Beer Motorcycles Women

  2. #2
    Registered User wvpc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ypsilanti, Michigan
    Posts
    180

    Why kill yourself?

    You are no wimp. You are smart, MI. The heat in Sedalia is off my scale too. The only way I am going to ride/sleep in that kind of heat is if I am FORCED to. I ride and camp only for my own pleasure and it is way too hot in the midwest for me to have fun or enjoy riding.

    With temps in the 80's after Tuesday a nice Lake Michigan beach sounds like a more reasonable ride.

    But I will miss going and I hope all that do go get there safely and have a great time.
    12 R1200 RT
    83 R100 RT

  3. #3
    Registered User PAS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    N.E. Ohio
    Posts
    358
    I agree with both of you. Last year at Bloomsburg made a believer out of me. I kept asking myself "What an I doing here in this 102 degree tent".

    Be careful rally goers!

  4. #4
    Registered User 39520's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    isola di specchio
    Posts
    179
    Wunderground predicting a heat index of 122 on Friday. A balmy 113 on Saturday.
    Ub
    05 K12S . 86 R65

  5. #5
    al from chgo burbs lilredroadster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Bartlett,Il
    Posts
    2,724
    So far, I am delaying leaving for Sedalia till Wednesday. Even if I take my SUV and not the bike, being in a tent is miserable. It is like Viet Nam, but I was 45 years younger then.
    I am going through treatment for prostate cancer anyway and my resistance is way. down.
    I will make up my mind when I check the weather Weds. I want to go but not if it is gonna kill me!
    Al From Chgo Burbs
    BETTERMENT THROUGH BADGERMENT

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Maryland.
    Posts
    144
    Any of you very intelligent wimps giving up your hotel reservations ? My plan was to ride the 800 miles Tuesday and then the remainder on Wednesday. After that, I was planning on staying in a tent. But, I don't like sleeping outside when it is above 90F.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Piedmont area of NC.
    Posts
    723
    I decided it was just too much for me , I'm not a big fan of long distance riding anymore. Then factor in the heat and my medication warnings to avoid it , I will take a pass.

    I cancelled my hotel reservation a few days ago , but from the reviews of the place and comments from folks who stayed there I don't think i gave up much.

    I hope everyone that goes has a safe trip and enjoys the rally.

    Doug

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    2,045
    Got one friend who is basically doing a 1000ss- planning to ride straight through- to get there. Personally, I thinks he's nuts and hope he doesn't join another of my friends on the disabled list. Heat index that far up the scale is inherently dangerous as any of us who are track instructors and work at keeping students out of hot afternoon accidents are very aware and like many, I can't say I find the idea of camping in it even remotely interesting as a fun activity.

    Are these summer rallies in unsafe conditions are the BMW MOA equivalent of riding without a helmet - simply taking a calculated risk and hoping the downside is someone else's problem?

  9. #9
    Registered User AKsuited's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    New York State
    Posts
    547
    Quote Originally Posted by racer7 View Post
    Got one friend who is basically doing a 1000ss- planning to ride straight through- to get there. Personally, I thinks he's nuts and hope he doesn't join another of my friends on the disabled list. Heat index that far up the scale is inherently dangerous as any of us who are track instructors and work at keeping students out of hot afternoon accidents are very aware and like many, I can't say I find the idea of camping in it even remotely interesting as a fun activity.

    Are these summer rallies in unsafe conditions are the BMW MOA equivalent of riding without a helmet - simply taking a calculated risk and hoping the downside is someone else's problem?
    I've got a buddy who plans on doing an Iron Butt 50CC from Florida to San Diego in August. I believe he's nuts. I seriously doubt that he has a clue as to what he is getting himself into.

    My daughter and family from Olathe, Kansas came out to stay with us a week ago. That was my week off from work, so I won't be able to take off another week to go to Sedalia.

    I probably wouldn't anyway. I do not like traveling on the bike in hot, humid weather, and don't think much of the idea of camping in hot weather.

    Kudo's to those who brave the weather.

    I realize that to do my bucket list rides I will have to cross the Great Plains in hot weather. I am gradually gearing up for that with mesh jackets, mesh pants I will purchase soon, and a CamelBak. But my destination would be high elevations in nice, dry mountain states, and not the hot, humid lowlands.

    Harry
    2003 R1150RT - Silver

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by AKsuited View Post
    I've got a buddy who plans on doing an Iron Butt 50CC from Florida to San Diego in August. I believe he's nuts. I seriously doubt that he has a clue as to what he is getting himself into.

    My daughter and family from Olathe, Kansas came out to stay with us a week ago. That was my week off from work, so I won't be able to take off another week to go to Sedalia.

    I probably wouldn't anyway. I do not like traveling on the bike in hot, humid weather, and don't think much of the idea of camping in hot weather.

    Kudo's to those who brave the weather.

    I realize that to do my bucket list rides I will have to cross the Great Plains in hot weather. I am gradually gearing up for that with mesh jackets, mesh pants I will purchase soon, and a CamelBak. But my destination would be high elevations in nice, dry mountain states, and not the hot, humid lowlands.

    Harry
    Harry - Check out the Camelbak Thermobak from their Tactical/Military line. I got mine for $60. It's well insulated, and the exact same gear our boys in the Middle East use everyday.

  11. #11
    Registered User AKsuited's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    New York State
    Posts
    547
    Quote Originally Posted by mcstark View Post
    Harry - Check out the Camelbak Thermobak from their Tactical/Military line. I got mine for $60. It's well insulated, and the exact same gear our boys in the Middle East use everyday.
    Thanks. Yes, I've got one of those picked out in hi-viz that I can get through Amazon. I sent my buddy a link to it so he could have it for his Iron Butt ride. I will get one for myself, too.

    Harry
    2003 R1150RT - Silver

  12. #12
    R100GS, '89 Guenther's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    339

    Above my body temperature...no way!

    I'll skip this rallye, too and again because of the temperature.

    Think about it...your body temperature is ca. 98F. Ambient temperature below that has a cooling effect...and above that you become a boiled egghead. Not even considering the heat index.

    I stay cool in the mountains and look forward for next years rallye.

    /Guenther

  13. #13
    Registered User JanesRT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    7

    Unhappy

    I am also a "wimp"...I know my personal limits and 100 degrees is beyond my limit. I've bonked on 100 degrees days and it's not a fun experience. The weather is very disappointing, we were going to camp for the whole rally, but we live close enough (80 miles) to make it a day trip or two and probably in 4 wheels (another torture!). Not getting the full rally experience and that's a great disappointment.


    I do have a general comment about all national rallies...Wing Ding, MOA, AMA Women's Conference, all in July. Other months are ruled out by the organizations due to hurricane season, snow still on some passes, etc.. At what point does extreme heat become a factor that is as important as those other considerations?
    I'm not picking on MOA - I couldn't wait for the AMA Women's rally - once every 3 years - but then the location was announced - Carson City, NV. Great riding in No Cal, but I'd have to cross KS, CO lowlands, UT, and NV in July to attend. And I'm not a trailer person, So wait another 3 years for maybe a better time of year, maybe?? Just disappointing!

    I do wish everyone a safe trip to the rally!

  14. #14
    Motorradfahrer jogitu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    487
    Why don't they just hold the Rally in the fall or spring? Is this the same brain trust that decided suspenders and trucker hats would fly off the shelf?
    Kevin
    "I ride therefore I am"

    2012 1600 GTL

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Along the Banks of the Ohio River in Madison Indiana
    Posts
    26

    Talking

    Yea,
    I work outside year around. I have had heat exhaustion. Ice packs under
    the arms and behind the neck. Really feel like been up all night, shot for
    about 3 days afterwards. Heat wins everytime. I rode for about an hour
    and a half last weekend at 102.... My thoughts were, this is nuts.... But
    I might head to Leland for a couple of days, Michigan looks like highs in the 80's
    and 60's in the morning. No rain for a week in sight. Might stop by Whitehall
    for a night. That is if the bike gets back from is 30k check with fresh skins on
    the rims. I plan to make a National, its on my bucket list. It would be fun to
    hang at the beer tent and watch the heat effects on the non professional consumers.

    Enjoy the Rally and HYDRATE!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •