Thread: Yep I am a wimp

Hybrid View

Yep I am a wimp

It is too hot this year, http://www.wunderground.com/US/MO/Sedalia.html

There is no way I can take the heat in Sedalia, I will pass on spending riding in 100 degree temperatures. Two operations in the last 8 months, and heat like this nope not my kind of riding. A hundred degrees and lots of hot people, yep I pass. Enjoy the rally, drink plenty of water, and coverup.

Hope everyone has a safe and manageable trip. I be glade to get my winning motorcycle some other time.
    Tom
    '84 R100RT '04 CLC(gone) Honda NT700V
    BMW
    Beer Motorcycles Women

Why kill yourself?

You are no wimp. You are smart, MI. The heat in Sedalia is off my scale too. The only way I am going to ride/sleep in that kind of heat is if I am FORCED to. I ride and camp only for my own pleasure and it is way too hot in the midwest for me to have fun or enjoy riding.

With temps in the 80's after Tuesday a nice Lake Michigan beach sounds like a more reasonable ride.

But I will miss going and I hope all that do go get there safely and have a great time.
    12 R1200 RT
    83 R100 RT

I agree with both of you. Last year at Bloomsburg made a believer out of me. I kept asking myself "What an I doing here in this 102 degree tent".

Be careful rally goers!

Wunderground predicting a heat index of 122 on Friday. A balmy 113 on Saturday.
    Ub
    05 K12S . 86 R65

al from chgo burbs lilredroadster's Avatar
    So far, I am delaying leaving for Sedalia till Wednesday. Even if I take my SUV and not the bike, being in a tent is miserable. It is like Viet Nam, but I was 45 years younger then.
    I am going through treatment for prostate cancer anyway and my resistance is way. down.
    I will make up my mind when I check the weather Weds. I want to go but not if it is gonna kill me!
    Al From Chgo Burbs
    BETTERMENT THROUGH BADGERMENT

Any of you very intelligent wimps giving up your hotel reservations ? My plan was to ride the 800 miles Tuesday and then the remainder on Wednesday. After that, I was planning on staying in a tent. But, I don't like sleeping outside when it is above 90F.

I decided it was just too much for me , I'm not a big fan of long distance riding anymore. Then factor in the heat and my medication warnings to avoid it , I will take a pass.

I cancelled my hotel reservation a few days ago , but from the reviews of the place and comments from folks who stayed there I don't think i gave up much.

I hope everyone that goes has a safe trip and enjoys the rally.

Doug

Why?

How could the MOA not know that it would be a blast furnace in Missouri in july? Even if the temps. were normal it would be 90 feels like 100 plus degrees. So next year we go back to where we were 3 years ago, why? I'm Canadian but when I look at a map of the states it looks big. But seriously when do we admit we've changed the climate and now we've got to live with it. So if the national rally is to continue to be held annually the date must be moved, higher elevations and sites near large bodies of water (great lakes, oceans) should be the first picks. To all those going this year be aware you are going into a hostile environment, no joke, use caution. All the best to my fellow riders.

Quote Originally Posted by glennbolder89799 View Post
    How could the MOA not know that it would be a blast furnace in Missouri in july? Even if the temps. were normal it would be 90 feels like 100 plus degrees. So next year we go back to where we were 3 years ago, why? I'm Canadian but when I look at a map of the states it looks big. But seriously when do we admit we've changed the climate and now we've got to live with it. So if the national rally is to continue to be held annually the date must be moved, higher elevations and sites near large bodies of water (great lakes, oceans) should be the first picks. To all those going this year be aware you are going into a hostile environment, no joke, use caution. All the best to my fellow riders.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

I saw the handwriting on the wall a year ago and had central air installed at my house.

Harry
    2003 R1150RT - Silver

Lake Michigan beckons

My hotel reservation in Sedalia was cancelled on me, which I'm taking as a sign. Given the weather forecast, I'm leaving tomorrow for a circle around Lake Michigan instead of Sedalia. I hope all those that attend the rally have a great time and stay hydrated!

beemermark
    Gonna make the trip this year even though the heat will be unbearable! Hopefully getting half the trip done in the morning before it is off the scale. Thank goodness for a friend 20 miles away with a new 5th wheel. Should be there when we arrive. Otherwise we would definitely be out this year too.
    Mark Mumaw