Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How are you getting to the Rally?

How are you getting to the Rally?

Just thought it'd be cool if people would post the routes they play on taking to the Rally 05. Personally, it's too close to my house, so this is how I'm going to play the short cut.

Let's see your routes!

- Some say the glass is half empty, some say the glass is half full, I say, are you going to drink that? - Lisa Clayman
    - A bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather and ask for it back when it begins to rain. --Robert Frost

You know you opened yourself up for a bunch of responses saying "By motorcycle, silly!"
    My route isn't solidly ironed out and I dunno how to do that fancy-ass map-graphic stuff, but it looks like I get to choose between slabs if I wanna get there in two days. Yeah I know you're all accusing me of being a wuss for not getting there via a four-corners ride but I live in the real world and only have so much time off.
    There *IS* the option to do about 150 miles of US 67 through Arkansas and Missouri, but it looks like a time-loser, especially if I fail to resist the urge to stop for throwed rolls in Sikeston...
    But then again, I may have to take the whole week off anyway so that opens up a circuitous route possibility getting up there!

We'll see what happens!
    2012 R1200GS

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

"on my motorcycle, of course!"

Haha, I was going to say exactly that, Veg. I don't know my route yet, haven't even really thought about it, but I might get some good ideas from what people post here!
    Chace
    "The immortals are gone. Now we are the immortals."
    -T. Robbins

Starting out from the TamPete area July 1 Goin to Monterey for the motogp/AMA races. Then North to join up to US rte 2 in the SeaTac area.East on rte2 couple a days at Glacier East to Mich. U.P. South over the BRIDGE. If time permits Central Mich. Romp to where I lived and graduated Tecumseh then South to the Rally/AMA races same wekend. Then back to the land of Huricanes
    Then I have to get ready for my Air/Rail/Sea trip to Alaska knowing the whole time I wish I was on the bike
    Knick
    F800GS
    Vespa ET4

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar

Hoped for routing

Well this route all depends on vacation time and work commitments. So it might get blown away. But I am in the same boat as Einnar, it is close so I need to take the scenic route. However if the timing doesn't work out, I will be taking the direct route...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

Talking Michigan

Well...
    Getting up real early in the morning (everything prepped the night before) and heading down the road to M-55, heading east. Then taking M-115 to US 27/10, hooking up onto I-75 south and crank it up. Next exit Lima, OH.

Lima route!

Been there, done that, and gonna do it again. Either US 127 from Lansing MI to US 30 at VanWert and over to Lima. Might go M-52 to OH 109.
    Can any locals tell me how the roads are? M-52 in Michigan is a nice leisurely ride and good road. Anyone know of any construction sites on these paths?
    Thanks in advance.

HODAG
    up and over the thumb of Michigan,
    or via the ferry. Riding through Chicago doesn't appeal to me at all

OH 37 to OH 31 to OH 309. About 120 miles. 2 hour trip.
    Biff
    2004 R1150R Silver

There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule.

Long Gone
    Day 1
    I-80 E to
    I-39 S to
    US24 E to
    US 224 E to
    Van Wert
    (371 mi.)
    This route is 24 miles farther than the more direct, I-80/US30 route, but it avoids the I-80/I-94 bottleneck SE of Chicago.

Day 2
    US 30 E to
    OH 309 to Lima
    (32.4 mi.)
    Chris

1973 R75/5, traded in on...
    2004 R1150RT
    1989 Yamaha Razz

I haven't gotten to that part, yet. I may be picking up a LT at the Rally and riding it home. So that means I'm flyin'.

If not, then I'm flyin' on the RT.

The ride home will be slow and scenic.

Anyone coming into Ohio on I-75, from either the north or south, be careful with your speed. The OH State highway patrol is usually lurking close to the borders just waiting to personally welcome you into the state.
    Biff
    2004 R1150R Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Biff's R
    Anyone coming into Ohio on I-75, from either the north or south, be careful with your speed. The OH State highway patrol is usually lurking close to the borders just waiting to personally welcome you into the state.
    Biff,
    What is the 'overage' they give to you, now?

Having attended school in the SW corner of the state, (Miami Univ), I can vouch for the presence of the Patrol along the 75 and the 70 corridor. Unlike California, they do U-turns through the median to 'welcome' you.

I would say that the typical overage would be 5-7 mph, so 72 in a 65 should be safe. With the BMW speedo, that is probably 78ish.

And Kenny you are right about them on 70, too. I like how they sit under the Ohio Arch at the Indiana border.
    Biff
    2004 R1150R Silver

First of all let me beg the famous tolerance of this forum by stating that I'll be riding my Kawasaki Concours towing a Piggybacker cargo trailer to the rally (my Beemers' a K11RS). That said I'll be interstating most of the trip due to time constraints. From Lindale we (my son and I) start out on I20 and head up to I30 to I40 to I65 to Kentucky and onto I64 towards Lexington (gives me an interstate hangover ), jump onto Hwy 68 to visit friends in Paris and to hook up with our V-Max riding buddy (rally virgin) who's coming with us the to the MOA Rally. From there it's onto I75 straight to Lima. The ride back home might be more interesting if I can find a route that gets us back fairly quickly w/o too much "I" time
    Mark Rooney
    Lindale, TX
    2012 Aprilia Shiver 750, 2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250SA
    ( '93 K75, '94 K75, '93 R100RT, '93 K1100RS, ? )