Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: More on BMW brake line failures

Quote Originally Posted by 70783 View Post

FWIW, I do have a set of Spiegler SS lines that I will be installing on the RS this fall. Looking forward to some improvement in braking.

Ride Safe,

Steve
    At their worst BMW brakes make the asphalt wrinkle up in front of the tires like a loose rug. What exactly are you looking for?

Green Bay, WI, west side about 1.5 miles from Lambeau.
    I want to clarify my earlier statement about the inner tube swelling/softening over tine due to exposure to brake fluid. I didn't mean it to say that it insures a line failure, just that it is a characteristic of synthetic rubber inner tube material. The stock hoses may well live the life of the bike. But the degradation of the inner tube does lead to less responsive feel at the brake lever. In some cases the inner tube can come loose from the hose reinforcement and act like a check valve to hold minimal pressure in the line and cause a dragging brake.

New standard brake brake hoses will feel good too. But, teflon lined S/S braided hoses will not change in feel over time. Still a much better product overall.
    Woodenshoe to Cheesehead

Quote Originally Posted by GKman View Post
    At their worst BMW brakes make the asphalt wrinkle up in front of the tires like a loose rug. What exactly are you looking for?
    actually if you have a front internal failure/blockage and your caliper(s) doesn't release...your sitting down area will be seriously wrinkling up your saddle like that loose rug
    BTDT!
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    actually if you have a front internal failure/blockage and your caliper(s) doesn't release...your sitting down area will be seriously wrinkling up your saddle like that loose rug
    BTDT!
    Had a front caliper stick on a KLR 250 a couple of years ago. Had to take it apart to get the wheel turning again and return home. About 50 times more likely to have a car pull out in front of me. I'm budgeting all of my worry for that near certainty if I keep riding long enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Wanderer View Post
    I have to agree here. I put Spiegler braided lines on my 1100RT this past winter and once they were bled properly the difference between rubber lines and teflon braided lines was immediately apparent.
    Happy, Do you have the part numbers for the R1100RT lines you used? I saw only fitment for the S1000RR on their website.

My daily ride is a '99 R11RT. Braided lines would be a smart upgrade for me.
    Delaware Dave
    1999 BMW R1100RT
    2010 Harley Davidson ElectraGlide Limited

Quote Originally Posted by Delaware.Dave View Post
    Happy, Do you have the part numbers for the R1100RT lines you used? I saw only fitment for the S1000RR on their website.

My daily ride is a '99 R11RT. Braided lines would be a smart upgrade for me.
    this page should work fine for anyone...

http://spieglerusa.com/brakes/cycle-...line-kits.html

and this page should work fine for you...

http://spieglerusa.com/brake-line-kit-151.htm
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots