Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: More on BMW brake line failures

Quote Originally Posted by 183886 View Post
    Any sugestion on who offerds the best Priced ss braided lines?
    Spiegler -- not sure if they are the absolute lowest price, by they are certainly price competitive, have an excellent product, and are a US-based company with very good US-as-first-language tech support. They are my go-to source for SS lines; I just picked up a set at the MOA rally to go on my R1150RT-P.
    Mark Neblett
    Fairfax, VA

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mneblett View Post
    Spiegler -- not sure if they are the absolute lowest price, by they are certainly price competitive, have an excellent product, and are a US-based company with very good US-as-first-language tech support. They are my go-to source for SS lines; I just picked up a set at the MOA rally to go on my R1150RT-P.
    US is a language now? Who knew?

Yes, I'm just kidding around eh.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

Quote Originally Posted by mneblett View Post
    Yes, and the Gentleman with the accent is extremely helpful.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

It's all about the details.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Wanderer View Post
    US is a language now? Who knew?

Yes, I'm just kidding around eh.
    I'm usually able to tell the difference in Germans (and some other Europeans) who have been taught English by Brits vs Americans. Quite a lot of subtle differences. After all, didn't 'Enry Iggins say that Americans haven't used the language for years?

Enjoy the ride!

14 year old brake hose

Hi all,

I've been following this thread and have purchased a set of SS brake hoses and plan to replace the original hoses on my RT at end of this riding season. However I was having our van's brakes serviced the other day and have decided to have the tech replace the front brake hoses, being that the van is a 1998 Nissan Quest (with about 200K km). I've asked for the original hoses to be returned to me, as I was interested in their internal condition. Anyhow yesterday I picked up the van and the old original brake hoses. The van's brakes felt pretty much the same as before the brake service. Anyhow, I tried to blow through the old hoses with my mouth, no issues, clear and free of any obstructions, then I cut both of the old brake hoses apart in several places on each hose, and there were no issues that I could see. The internals were clean and I could easily see daylight when viewing through one of the 3 inch sections. Pictures attached, well one only as the system is not allowing me to post more than one. BTW, the brake fluid was only replaced twice in the van over its life time.

I'm thinking there may be manufacturing differences between the BMW bike hoses and the Nissan van hoses. This may explain such a difference between what I've seen on this thread of hoses from 10 year old bikes. Or that the bike hoses are more exposed to UV light?? BTW anyone have instructions for replacing bike hoses with SS type?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Enjoy the ride!
    2nd photo...
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've wondered about the automotive brake lines as well. They seem tougher than the motorcycle lines have been.
    2000 R1100RT-P

I got a set of Spieglers recently, will install them soon.

I sent an inquiry in to Galfer's customer service e-mail address and never heard back, so they are out of business in my book.

chrisZ,
    the easiest method is to route the new lines alongside the old ones before disconnecting. That mainly applies to the longer hoses.The short ones from calipers to union block on front , and the one from rear master to caliper, I just lay on correct sides before teardown.
    Some minor twisting of hose ends is sometimes required...Spiegler gives you a little nylon "tool" to do that with. Just twist a little at a time and SLOWLY! Make sure the new crush washers are on both sides of fittings before snugging down.

I use a large syringe to empty the master resevoirs and cover all painted surfaces that may potentially get fluid on them.
    Bleed everything and be careful the first time you grab the brakes hard...sometimes a huge difference in feel & action! Our '95 was the worst and had the biggest change in performance.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

My rt1100 had much smoother braking after the Spieglers went on. There were kind of grabby before the switchover.
    2000 R1100RT-P

Quote Originally Posted by Bmandiego View Post
    I've wondered about the automotive brake lines as well. They seem tougher than the motorcycle lines have been.
    Kind of depends on which you refer to.

Rode my '84 R100RS for 28 years with the same brake lines and they were always in fine condition.

Supplier/specification change would appear to be the problem with Oilheads.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    chrisZ,
    the easiest method is to route the new lines alongside the old ones before disconnecting. That mainly applies to the longer hoses.The short ones from calipers to union block on front , and the one from rear master to caliper, I just lay on correct sides before teardown.
    Some minor twisting of hose ends is sometimes required...Spiegler gives you a little nylon "tool" to do that with. Just twist a little at a time and SLOWLY! Make sure the new crush washers are on both sides of fittings before snugging down.

I use a large syringe to empty the master resevoirs and cover all painted surfaces that may potentially get fluid on them.
    Bleed everything and be careful the first time you grab the brakes hard...sometimes a huge difference in feel & action! Our '95 was the worst and had the biggest change in performance.
    ooh! bad words, bad words!!

never "grab" the brakes, even in a panic situation. "Squeeeeeze" the brakes is what we like.
    and yeah, SS are superior to rubber lines. even SS on airheads are superior in feel than the factory rubber ones.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post
    ooh! bad words, bad words!!

never "grab" the brakes, even in a panic situation. "Squeeeeeze" the brakes is what we like.
    and yeah, SS are superior to rubber lines. even SS on airheads are superior in feel than the factory rubber ones.
    Well...I knew what I meant must be one of those Texan words...like fixin' to

Yes, when you squeeze those speed reducers the first time, be careful....just sayin'
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Nickname: Droid
    "Rode my '84 R100RS for 28 years with the same brake lines and they were always in fine condition."

From the outside, sure. But I assure you the inner tube material had softened and swelled. Because there is only one material that does not soften/swell in DOT3 or DOT4 brake fluid and that is Teflon. Teflon is the material used in stainless steel braided brake lines. Its not the braid that makes these hoses good, its the teflon inner tube.

I just finished replacing the brake lines on my sister-in-law's '05 Ford Escape with about 170,000 miles on it. I had about the same experience as chrisZ. All four of the lines were clear and cutting them apart revealed little or no deterioration. As far as I know the brake fluid has never been changed until now. The exterior of the front lines were badly cracked in several places, the rears didn't look too bad. All four lines had lost alot of their "flex" and were kind of stiff. The best part is the water pump started leaking after I drove it to test the brakes. Haven't told her about that yet!

FWIW, I do have a set of Spiegler SS lines that I will be installing on the RS this fall. Looking forward to some improvement in braking.

Ride Safe,

Steve
    Steve Bechtel
    '99 R1100RS