Thread: cool idea

cool idea

of course, i may be the last guy on earth to have heard about them.

maybe not for bmw's but still cool.

http://www.speedhut.com/gauge_produc...ometer_GPS.htm
    "Enemy fighters at 2 o'clock!...Roger, What should i do until then?"

2010 r1200r, 2009 harley crossbones, 2008 triumph/sidecar, 1970 norton commando 750

On the plus side they should be accurate.

On the minus side they wouldn't work in tunnels and numerous other areas.

I go by my GPS indicated speed rather than the overly optimistic BMW speedometer anyway.
    Dave

'06 Triumph Scrambler (Trans-Labrador veteran)

Too expensive. You can buy a complete GPS that has a speedometer function for much less.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Interesting point.

I've gotten to the point that I use my GPS speedo as much, if not more, than the one in my dash. But this could be a bad habit that causes me to get pulled over.

In principle the GPS speedo should be accurate for straight flat roads, but I wonder about the twisties in the hills or mountains. The 550 has a feature that tells you it is accurate within -- feet; it would be nice if it had a feature that tells you it is accurate within -- mph. Also my GPS is not routinely calibrated as are most peace officer speedos and radar units.

It's something to think about. http://gpssystems.net/accurate-gpsbased-speedometer/

E.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy View Post
    Interesting point.

I've gotten to the point that I use my GPS speedo as much, if not more, than the one in my dash. But this could be a bad habit that causes me to get pulled over.

In principle the GPS speedo should be accurate for straight flat roads, but I wonder about the twisties in the hills or mountains. The 550 has a feature that tells you it is accurate within -- feet; it would be nice if it had a feature that tells you it is accurate within -- mph. Also my GPS is not routinely calibrated as are most peace officer speedos and radar units.

It's something to think about.
    In actual fact, your GPS calibrates itself every time you turn it on and obtain new data blocks from the satellite constellation, or lock onto a new satellite rising over the horizon. They (satellites and your GPS) are timed by and synchronized to atomic clock references that are highly accurate which is necessary for accurate positioning. The civilian differential GPS units can be made accurate into inches of position if necessary, and military grade stuff is so accurate you can fly missiles into specific windows if you wish. CEP is essentially zero. The GPS speed readout is accurate maneuvering or in straight lines and is easily as accurate as speed radars and lasers for all practical uses. The more satellites you can see and are receiving at any given time, the better accuracy of position and speed calculation.

BTW, you would be surprised at how often, over 35 years, I have defended speeding ticket cases (no, not mine!) and find radars that have never been re-calibrated, properly licensed, or sometime operated by non-certified officers. I also have presented evidence from a logging GPS system to prove a speed radar was either defective or being improperly operated. The Judge chose to believe a twelve billion dollar satellite GPS system and vehicle logger rather than the $700 second-hand radar gun.
    Last edited by ka5ysy; 07-10-2012 at 12:17 PM.
    Doug, 2011 R1200RT Polar Metallic
    MSF #127350 NAUI #36288

Quote Originally Posted by ka5ysy View Post
    The civilian differential GPS units can be made accurate into inches of position if necessary, and military grade stuff is so accurate you can fly missiles into specific windows if you wish.
    I don't think missiles don't fly under cover of trees. My motorcycle does and as a result I've had GPS units (Garmin) report speeds as high as 747 MPH while I was riding about 35 MPH. GPS units don't always handle multipath signals bounced off of tall city buildings very well, either. I've had a GPS report that I was doing in excess of 500 MPH... while stopped at a stop light. Those examples come from different GPS units.

Quote Originally Posted by f14rio View Post
    maybe not for bmw's but still cool.
    I agree, those are very nice.
    Maybe not so expensive if they are well made.

I use my GPS to "calibrate" any new speedometer I have to use, you really can't do better.

The newer receivers work very well under tree cover although not in tunnels, and the newer software guards against ridiculous speed indications.
    Mike Marr
    1978 Yamaha XS750 (Needs rings), 1996 BMW R1100RS, 2004 Honda CRF230F

Just the thing for easily doing a speedo with a pretty traditional appearance on a cafe bike or some sort of resto/mod where you might not want an actual gps unit and have sort of a sender issue.