Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning Black Plastic Below Windshield

Hybrid View

Cleaning Black Plastic Below Windshield

Did my due diligence looking in the archives for cleaning tips for cleaning the black plastic below the windshield - and found none. Just finished a 4500 mile trip from Vermont to Manitoba and back. Estimate I killed 10% of the bugs along the 2 Provinces and 8 States. Cleaned up the 2007 RT and looks good except for that plastic that looks more grey than black. Local Beemer shop suggested 'any tire cleaner product'. Ones I looked at had petroleum or corrosive warnings.
    Any suggestions?
    Patrick
    R1200 RT
    K100RS
    R90S

Rally Rat

Give it a good cleaning with any bike wash product, S100 or the like. Note that these are aggressive detergents containing surfactants and will discolour surfaces if 100% of the residue isn't removed. Rinse thoroughly, then do it again.

I really like Mothers Back to Black as a surface treatment for black bike plastics; it isn't glossy and doesn't leave residue like other products. It leaves a nice matte sheen.
    Dave

'06 Triumph Scrambler (Trans-Labrador veteran)

The graying is more likely sun damage, other aging, or the effects of previously used chemicals. The back to black recommendation is likely the thing you need, as you aren't likely to be able to wash off the aging.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Mother's is good stuff; any shop - bike or car - will sell a spray specifically to "re-blacken" plastics. WD-40 and Teflon lube also work.

Thanks very much for the sage advice. Will try the product suggestions. Just did not want to try a product that gives a short term fix, but long term problem.
    Last edited by VTBeemer; 07-08-2012 at 02:21 AM.
    Patrick
    R1200 RT
    K100RS
    R90S

I once damaged the black plastic on my front wheel fender by accidentally using an abrasive wheel cleaner on the front wheel.

Amazingly, applying a coat of clear walnut oil onto the damaged area completely refurbished the plastic back to factory specs. I hear that peanut oil will do the same.

For years, I've used 303 Aerospace Protectant for all my vehicles' black trim. I also use it for the kayaks and other plastics that benefit from UV protection. It is the UV that is the major contributor to the graying of the black plastic bits.

I also use Griots SpeedShine on top of the 303 if I want a slight bit of a sheen.

HTH,
    Theo

2009 R1200RT, 2007 Shadow Aero 750 (sold)
    2012 MINI Countryman S, 2004 MINI Cooper S JCW, 2000 BMW 328i

I've used Back To Black with good results (after washing the bike and letting it dry, of course).
    Mark
    2006 R1200RT

Amateur Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by THEO View Post

For years, I've used 303 Aerospace Protectant for all my vehicles' black trim. I also use it for the kayaks and other plastics that benefit from UV protection. It is the UV that is the major contributor to the graying of the black plastic bits.

I also use Griots SpeedShine on top of the 303 if I want a slight bit of a sheen.

HTH,
    303 is by far the best stuff for clean/protect black trim IMHO... and what ever you do, DONT use Armorall....

I used to use Silicone Spray also but I think many are now saying not to due to the ill effects of the evaporative suspension (basically the petroleum distillate part) eroding the plastic/rubber..

Appreciate the great suggestions especially the UV protectant option of some products. Mothers' Back to Black was available locally, tried it and it took a few years off the bike. Will explore the other suggestions. Big thanks for all options.
    Patrick
    R1200 RT
    K100RS
    R90S

Quote Originally Posted by THEO View Post

HTH,
    I agree, 303 is the best product. Check your local ACE Hardware, they are all independent, but a lot of them carry it.

Rider on Ramald
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee200 View Post
    I hear that peanut oil will do the same.
    And this is why I always clean bugs off my plastics with creamy peanut butter.

Armor all is in no way harmful to the surface, but it doesn't last long, offers zero UV protection, and may migrate or "wash down" to places you don't want it to be. Back to black lasts longer and stays put better. 303 is where it's at.
    R75/6, 2004 R1150RTA.

Where can one obtain this 303 magic elixir? Is it readily available at your FLAPS or home center?