Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Going to the rally - What to wear?

Going to the rally - What to wear?

I will be coming from the East (Eastern Canada) and will be on the road for about 2 weeks in all.

What should I wear: my Darien jacket and pants, or my Joe Rocket mesh jacket (with a waterproof liner for the rainy days)?

JPK1100

Dressing for the occasion is kind of a personal question....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mac
    1986 R80RT, 2005 R1200GS
    Livin' Large On The Lake

Travel (distance days) in the Darien... dayride/sightsee in the mesh; got pants with
    that? The mesh should pack small & does not need to be kept dry...strap it on.

I'm wearing Olympia mesh jacket and pants. It is going to be hot and humid.

I carry a Frogg Toggs rain suit in case things get wet or cold...cold is not likely. The quilted Olympia liners are too warm for this time of the year unless you are at high elevation.
    George
    R1200RT, K1200RS. Previous K1200LT, R80RT, R100R, R75/5

Definitely mesh gear. Especially pants!

And stay hydrated!

Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

Mesh

I have a Scorpion Hi-vis mesh jacket, Joe Rocket mesh pants and wear LDC under it all.

The jacket has a waterproof liner that can be worn; but I usually just get wet and let the air dry me.
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    1996 R1100RT main bike & 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

Thanks everyone... So mesh it will be... and the original (shorter) windscreen for my K1100, to let more air come through.

JPK1100

I would wear my Darian jacket and mesh pants, with rain pants (or not) for down pours.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Something that don't make my butt look fat!

Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Layton View Post
    Something that don't make my butt look fat!
    Those are out of stock; we apologize for any inconvenience.
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449

The original question is really one related both to expected heat and to versatility. So I'll tell a story. Back in '03 Voni and I rode the Iron Butt Rally. I had both mesh gear - jacket and pants, and an Aerostich Roadcrafter two piece suit. Leg one of the rally had us approaching Las Vegas on a day they set a daily record high of 114F. I was wearing mesh gear with a cool-vest under the jacket. The vest worked for about 10 minutes and then was dry. It was just a continuous blast of hot air blowing through the mesh. We stopped and I switched to the Roadcrafter jacket and pants. The vest would stay damp for maybe 45 minutes, and I was entirely a lot cooler and more comfortable - if it is possible to use that term at 114. With the mesh I was in serious danger of very rapid dehydration despite how much I drank.

We now travel North America for 4 or 5 months each summer and go back home to Texas in the fall. I bring two pairs of riding pants - Roadcrafter and First Gear mesh, and one jacket, an Aerostich Darian. The temperature range where the mesh jacket is best is too narrow - 75 to 85 basically - to warrant carrying the extra jacket.

If you have a fully faired bike with very limited air flow on the torso mesh might work better in a wider range.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Thanks Paul,

Mine is a K1100LT. I do have a longer (higher) windscreen but I think I will put back the original, shorter one, that allows more air.

I'm wearing a thong.

TravelsWithBarley.com
    I'm torn on this one. It seems all the reports of mesh drying out the underlayer are from out west with that dry heat that sucks moisture out of everything. What about those of us riding thru the hot and humid South? I have full mesh...and also a 1 piece Stich. I'm worried that even with all vents open the GSA just has too much wind protection to effectively cool in muggy conditions.

Can anyone speak to that?

Pete
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

I can Pete

Quote Originally Posted by glenfiddich View Post
    I'm torn on this one. It seems all the reports of mesh drying out the underlayer are from out west with that dry heat that sucks moisture out of everything. What about those of us riding thru the hot and humid South? I have full mesh...and also a 1 piece Stich. I'm worried that even with all vents open the GSA just has too much wind protection to effectively cool in muggy conditions.

Can anyone speak to that?

Pete
    I feel your pain.

I rode with my Belstaff for years for over 100,000 miles with NO problems. Then came Bloomsburg.

I pulled out my plastic and bought the LD comfort shorts, short sleeved top and helmet liner. Then I waited around until the last minute on Saturday to make an offer on a Scorpion mesh hi-vis jacket. That paired with mesh pants did wonders at 119 [indicated] on my way from the rally to Philly to visit a friend.

Now that is my preferred gear when the temps go past 90; which they do here quite often.
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449