Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1150GS seat height

buckeyeclark

1150GS seat height

Okay since I am 46 the odds of my legs getting any longer are remote at best. My bike has a Russell day long seat that I love but I am on my tippy toes when stopped. What are my options, other than getting a different bike, for getting a little more of my feet on the ground?

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeClark View Post
    Okay since I am 46 the odds of my legs getting any longer are remote at best. My bike has a Russell day long seat that I love but I am on my tippy toes when stopped. What are my options, other than getting a different bike, for getting a little more of my feet on the ground?
    I think there is only one. Lower the bike slightly with different shocks.

I'm 5'10" with a 30" inseam and that makes me too short for most BMW bikes, especially the GS models. But I've had to tip toe bikes since I was 15 and the thing is you do get used to it and there are ways to compensate like picking where you choose to stop more carefully. I know that is not always possible and once in a while things get more exciting than is optimal but you do adjust and adapt.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

either

thicker soles on your boots, or lowering your bike. That's about it.

sorry....
    Somers, NY

Just enjoying the ride.......

buckeyeclark
    Quote Originally Posted by sdpc2 View Post
    thicker soles on your boots, or lowering your bike. That's about it.

sorry....
    How does one go about lowering the bike?

Do you try to put both feet down when you stop?

The reason I ask is I have a 30" inseam on a tall day, and I ride my wife's R1150GS with no issues -- but that is in large part because I'm comfortable with *only* putting my left foot down, and further not feeling a need to put my entire left foot into contact with the ground (i.e., I'm usually on the ball of the foot at a stop). FWIW, my R12RT with standard seat is even more of a reach than the GS. For me, riding technique/practice/developing confidence has eliminated the need to modify the bike.

Not bragging or saying this is the only "right" solution -- just offering up the idea as an alternative to lowering your bike, which can be a pita (e.g., which you swap in sorter shocks, you need to modify the centerstand to make it sorter, and the sidestand will make the bike stand more upright/be more tippy).
    Mark Neblett
    Fairfax, VA

buckeyeclark
    What about the low seat I have seen mentioned?

What about the low seat I have seen mentioned?
    I avoid them due to thin/uncomfortable padding. By the time you add cushions to make them livable, you're back up to standard height anyway.

You may be able to get one of the custom seat makers to build a relatively comfortable low seat (Russell, Mayer (Rick or Rocky)).
    Mark Neblett
    Fairfax, VA

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    How does one go about lowering the bike?
    Just told you in post number 2.

"Lower the bike slightly with different shocks."
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

buckeyeclark
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Wanderer View Post
    Just told you in post number 2.

"Lower the bike slightly with different shocks."
    Um...yeah I didn't see your post about the DIFFERENT SHOCKS before I sent that post.

Before you try different shocks, you could try changing the preset on the rear shock. I moved mine to a lighter setting, which was good for me, but in the process, it also lowered the bike and center of gravity, which has also been good for me.
    I also like the boot idea
    2000 R1100RT-P

Sell the Russell seat and get a seat with a narrower profile. If your legs don't straddle a wide seat they can extend down to the ground easier.
    Michael Stock, Trinity, NC
    R1100RT, R100, R60/6

Be advised that lower rear shocks can make it a real P.I.T.A. (and spine) to heave the bike up on to the centerstand.

If you go with a custom seat, get a layer of gel in it to compensate for less foam - the stuff works great.

Avoid Rocky...

shocks

shocks? change them out with a set from an 1150RT. Jon

Seat height and short legs

When I was shopping around for a bike a few years ago, I stopped at the local HD shop. Since I'm 5'6" and am quite comfy in 29" inseam pants, I asked the very young salesman if there was some sort of "rule of thumb" about bike size and/or seat height for those of us who are vertically challenged. He was very close to my same size and simply said, "If you can throw your leg over it, you can ride it." I thought him a bit of a smarta$$ and went on to buy an 1100RS. Well, I can throw my leg over it, but I definitely can't flat-foot it. Initially it was a bit uncomfortable, but after riding it for a while, it feels totally natural. So, my suggestion is to simply put some miles on that bike. I'm betting it'll get more normal as you roll up the miles.
    Piperjim

'95 R1100RS
    '61 John Deere 3010 LP

Do you ride the bike offroad ?
    '03 R1150R, '03 F650GS, '97DR200SE,'78 Honda CT-90, '77Honda CT-90