Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ilium Highway Pegs, Tupperware Removal '09 R1200RT

Attorney at Law
    Thanks everyone. I now have the courage it will take to remove the tupperware. I will consider the act a right of passage. Hopefully, I'll bust only my cherry, not the bike.

Hi JBrookDavis (real name? We're friendly around here..)

Please read: http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46055 - I'm adding the info to your thread title. Pretty obviously with all the model hexheads, removing the plastic is different across different models, and even different years. Please put that info in the thread title of future posts to the tech forums. Good for you, good for others searching for the same info later.

Welcome to the forum - and as was pointed out - the DIY subforum is a real asset if you're doing any work on your bike.

Best,
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Quote Originally Posted by jbrooksdavis View Post
    Thanks everyone. I now have the courage it will take to remove the tupperware. I will consider the act a right of passage. Hopefully, I'll bust only my cherry, not the bike.
    I actually kind of enjoy the experience. I back my Toyota Tundra (with BedRug) up to the bike. Drop the tail gate, and just start pulling pieces off working from left to right, leaving them nicely secure in the back of the truck. If I'm feeling really compulsive, I drop the Torx bolts (and one plastic fastener) into sandwich bags and tape those to the piece from which they came.

Once you've got the left side off, you might want to take a look at the Fuel Pump Controller (located in a bad location...a well in the top of the fuel tank). The old silver-colored controller (you might do a search of FPC) is the bad one and prone to failure...usually during or after heavy rain riding, but randomly any other time. I'm not sure when the newer black model FPC was inserted into the production process. If you've got the silver one, put that on your to-do list...either to get the jumper cable ($25 from BurnsMoto) or buy a spare FPC ($140).

After that, you can look at the various pieces, see about where you'll replace the air cleaner at some point, and generally look for developing problems. A bright sunny day is the best time (although it makes things a little dark when they're in shadow).

Once you do it, I'm sure you'll feel good, not anxious about the next removal process.
    John Gamel
    2008 Kalahari Beige R1200RT
    LEOSA Certified

Similiar thread:

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=60594

Was pretty easy to attach engine guard and pegs
    Rebelheart (a.k.a. Terry)
    2011 R1200RT
    1998 R1100RT (sold)

Attorney at Law
    Quote Originally Posted by Atomicman52 View Post
    Any retailer worth a damn will give you the adjustment.

Email 'em and ask for it!
    I just got off the phone with A&S. I actually ordered my pegs 6/29. Not only did they waive shipping (less than $350) at the initial order, he said he would give me the 15% discount as well and refund the amount to my card. No hassle.

They are my go-to supplier from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrooksdavis View Post
    I just got off the phone with A&S. I actually ordered my pegs 6/29. Not only did they waive shipping (less than $350) at the initial order, he said he would give me the 15% discount as well and refund the amount to my card. No hassle.

They are my go-to supplier from now on.
    Smart retailer,has a loyal customer now and the 15% credit will come back to thme 10 fold!

Nice job!
    Last edited by Atomicman52; 07-08-2012 at 05:42 PM.
    "The Older I Get, the Faster I Was"
    '09 Black Metallic Sapphire "Fully Farkled" RT

Attorney at Law
    Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    Hi JBrookDavis (real name? We're friendly around here..)

Please read: http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46055 - I'm adding the info to your thread title. Pretty obviously with all the model hexheads, removing the plastic is different across different models, and even different years. Please put that info in the thread title of future posts to the tech forums. Good for you, good for others searching for the same info later.

Welcome to the forum - and as was pointed out - the DIY subforum is a real asset if you're doing any work on your bike.

Best,
    "Brooks"

Attorney at Law

Success!

Well, I did it. It took me about two hours, but I was being extra careful. The only problems I had were the spark plug things that screw into the exhaust were in the way and I couldn't completely remove the brake side fairing. The spark plug things weren't a big deal. I just unscrewed them, installed the mount, then screwed them back in. Does anyone know what the hell those things are or what they do? With the fairing, I think I just didn't disconnect the electical plug. No biggie, the fairing was loose enough to work around and I supported it with a bungee cord over the windscreen.

Took it for an hour ride afterward, ops checked normal.

Thanks for the help and encouragement. Without ya'll, I probably would have taken it to the dealer at $90/ hour. I figure that is found gas money.

Attorney at Law

Photos

Tupperware removal...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Attorney at Law

Photo

Pegs extended...

Attorney at Law

Photo

Pegs retracted...

And now that you have it all attached and ready to go, take them back off and paint the white parts black, (like I did today)

Pegs

Yep, once you do it, it becomes much easier the next time. The Max BMW video was a big help to me.
    IBA Number 49673
    Moore OK
    http://lngrdr.blogspot.com/

Attorney at Law

and...

Quote Originally Posted by DavoRT View Post
    And now that you have it all attached and ready to go, take them back off and paint the white parts black, (like I did today)
    use locktite.

Attorney at Law
    Quote Originally Posted by LngRdr View Post
    Yep, once you do it, it becomes much easier the next time. The Max BMW video was a big help to me.
    I printed the pics/instructions off this site and followed them. I probably saved $100+ in labor by doing it myself which more than paid for my membership.