Thread: 1200 GA/A- Best replacement battery?

mrsoup

1200 GA/A- Best replacement battery?

My 2010 GS battery has gone south, I want the best possible replacement so I don't have to worry about for 6 or more years. I got 8+ years from my Odyssey PC680 and would hope to find something as good for the GS.

Does the PC535 fit well enough to be a viable alternative? Do the specs match what the GS needs? I know that it is 3/8" taller than the BMW battery.

Shorai- Has anyone used these long term to report results? I am concerned about below freezing temp starts and the fact that Li-on batteries fail without warning. Other specs look great.

Other Options??? I would like to hear what others are using and their results.

I am not interested in the OEM BMW battery- Mine failed 1 month 23 days past the 2 year warranty and BMW will not replace it. I expect better from a $180.00 battery!

Amateur Veteran
    just make sure to get an "AGM" type battery, these are the newer technology batteries that have better voltage and life characteristics.... they are usually NOT the cheapest option.

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by R1200RClassic View Post
    just make sure to get an "AGM" type battery, these are the newer technology batteries that have better voltage and life characteristics.... they are usually NOT the cheapest option.
    I read somewhere that the AGM battery has an average lifetime of about 3 years. I get about 3 to 4 years from them with attention to charging during non-riding periods. I used to get 6 to 8 years from the flooded batteries.
    BMWMotorcycles, fun when they're running...
    My other bike is a BMW.
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

There is no reason an AGM battery would not last as long as a flooded type battery.
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511
    YB #2005

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AZgman View Post
    There is no reason an AGM battery would not last as long as a flooded type battery.
    That's good to hear...
    But it seems that the batteries don't know it in my experience. I assumed that maybe the sulfating that occurred in lead acid batteries would clear the plates and fall to the bottom in flooded batteries, but be trapped and affect the lifetime of an "Absorbed Glass Mat" battery and that might be the reason.
    Anyway, I have had the Exide Gel (lasted about 4 years), the Panasonic AGM (lasted 3 years and don't know after that), and the Exide AGM (BMW's battery and 2 of them lasted about 3 years each). I have been religious about charging during the non riding periods.
    Before the two Panasonic AGM batteries, I had two BMW flooded batteries in those two bikes for 8 years which was typical for my experience from 1971 thru about 2002 using flooded batteries.
    BMWMotorcycles, fun when they're running...
    My other bike is a BMW.
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")