Thread: Grizzly Grip Paint

Grizzly Grip Paint

I'm thinking of repainting my bike and also thinking about adding some protection for the bottom of my bags for scuffs. Has anyone used Grizzly Paint, the stuff they use on truck bed liners? It comes in all sorts of colors and now also comes in a smooth paint. I was thinking of working it in to an accent scheme to protect the bags for low speed drops.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Mary
    2007 R1200RT, gone
    2009 R1200RT

Seen photos of RTs where bed liner was sparyed on the normally painted cover. Looked OK- a lot like the oler black luggage of a few years ago. Not sure what brand(s) were used though. Try a search for the thread

3. 07-02-2012, 07:07 PM

I'll be interested in how it works for you. Please let me know.
    Mary
    2007 R1200RT, gone
    2009 R1200RT

Ed Kilner #176066
    Now that I I know where the low speed drop (ahem) scratches appear, this topic has quite an appeal for me. I'm lucky, you have to look very closely, but I know they are there, and may not be the only ones. So, yes, I need to know if this would work. Please let us know.
    Ed
    2011 R1200RT Thunder Gray Metallic; 2000 Triumph 900(sold)
    http://triumphantsblog.blogspot.ca/

This seems to be going down the road that will do better in the Gear section, so I'll move it on over.
    For an excellent example of what can be done with truck bed liner material-I think this was LineX...in a very fashionable blue....check out Tracy's (Newstar) bike.

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showpost...7&postcount=10

Perhaps she will chime in with some commentary. OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

Quote Originally Posted by Elgin Mary View Post
    I'm thinking of repainting my bike and also thinking about adding some protection for the bottom of my bags for scuffs. Has anyone used Grizzly Paint, the stuff they use on truck bed liners? It comes in all sorts of colors and now also comes in a smooth paint. I was thinking of working it in to an accent scheme to protect the bags for low speed drops.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    I recently had the 3 black hard bags for my 1150RT painted Titan Silver to match the bike. The bags were painted by a body shop close to me whose work I have seen alot of. The color and finish was a dead on match and the bags are now as smooth as the rest of the bike. They did a great job. Only problem is that now the bags look better than the rest of the bike....just kidding.

After I had the bags painted I bought the BMW Saddlebag Protection Set in Black from Sierra and it protects the bottom of the covers from scratches and adds a nice contrast to the silver. They are just held on by doublestick tape and they do a great job.

Dont know if this helps or not but I thought I would throw it out there anyway.

I have attached a link below,

http://www.sierrabmwonline.com/produ...07650763-p-378

Mary,

I am the self-proclaimed Linex poster child and can't say enough about it's durability. I've even slid down a gravel road/hill with microscopic damage. If you decide to go this route, be sure to talk to the local Linex dealer about the kevlar stuff that does not fade. The standard color is black but they can also color match any paint now. Here are two links to previous threads, both black and blue Linex. I also did my hand guards and engine guards.

Black Linex

Blue Linex

One other thing, I had a Moto Guzzi Norge with painted saddle bags to match the bike. One parking lot drop will scratch the **** out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Newstar View Post
    One other thing, I had a Moto Guzzi Norge with painted saddle bags to match the bike. One parking lot drop will scratch the **** out of them.
    Yeah that will probably happen.....thanks!

Heidi purchased a couple of alumin bags for her F800GS. They were not too appealing so I went to the paint supply store and purchased a couple of spray cans of bed liner. They turned out great and looked good until she decaled them up. That was about 3 yrs ago and they are still holding up. Decals and all.

There are a number of people who have used bed liner paint applied to various parts of their bikes, and I remember seeing a RT1200 painted completely with bed liner. Have never heard a discouraging word about any of them. We got the idea from Paul G who did some bags on one of their bikes a few years back.

bob

If I were looking at a bike painted like this as a potential used bike purchase, I'd deduct $$ for returning the bike to stock.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    If I were looking at a bike painted like this as a potential used bike purchase, I'd deduct $$ for returning the bike to stock.
    I like it and that's all that matters to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott C View Post
    I like it and that's all that matters to me.