Thread: K1200RS (2003) Fuel Leak from Quick Disconnect

K1200RS (2003) Fuel Leak from Quick Disconnect

I had to replace the quick disconnect fuel line due to a leak on the male coupling. I am replacing that one but there is supposed to be another connector that will eventually fail. The one I am replacing is on the right side, accessible from the opening in the fairing. Anybody know where the other connector is located?

Also, at $36 bucks a piece is there a better way to go?

Here is a bullatin I found regarding the issue:

2002 bmw k1200rs motorcycle fuel line quick disconnect coupling failed while in use causing fuel under high pressure to leak out onto hot engine & rider's right leg, risking fire, crash and serious injury or possible death. owner at own expense and time replaced all four couplings and clamps, two male and two female. old parts are available. *tr

Found here: http://www.faqs.org/car/bmw-k1200rs-...vestigations_0
    Shawn Wallace
    Maple Grove, MN

Beatnick Fly
    You'll find a lot of info on the couplers in this forum. After reading the disasters, I changed mine on an '04 GT about a month ago. Bike had only 14,000 miles on it when I got it in April. Had a local BMW wrench do the work. The couplers are easy, it's the tupperware removal that takes all the time, and that's where the others are.
    From where they're located, I would suspect heat and time weakens the plastic.
    But do yourself a favor and replace them ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadhawk View Post
    I had to replace the quick disconnect fuel line due to a leak on the male coupling. I am replacing that one but there is supposed to be another connector that will eventually fail. The one I am replacing is on the right side, accessible from the opening in the fairing. Anybody know where the other connector is located?

Also, at $36 bucks a piece is there a better way to go?

Here is a bullatin I found regarding the issue:

2002 bmw k1200rs motorcycle fuel line quick disconnect coupling failed while in use causing fuel under high pressure to leak out onto hot engine & rider's right leg, risking fire, crash and serious injury or possible death. owner at own expense and time replaced all four couplings and clamps, two male and two female. old parts are available. *tr

Found here: http://www.faqs.org/car/bmw-k1200rs-...vestigations_0
    The connectors are adjacent to each other. You also need to replace both of them. Use what works, it makes life easier. You need to remove the fairing to access them, may as well learn how to do this now. Take pictures and label the screws as you remove them.
    Get the kit from Beemer Boneyard and be done with it. You need disconnects with a check valve shutoff in each side, or you will have to clamp the hose each time you remove the tank.
    Others will be along to tell you that there are cheaper alternatives. Want to be really cheap? You can get brass hose connectors in the plumbing department at any hardware store. You do need fuel injection type hose clamps.
    Bob Weis
    '04 K12RS - Hannigan Hack
    www.earplugco.com

Here's another vote for the Beemerboneyard kit.
    Metal QDs, and the proper clamps and Viton O-rings.
    http://www.beemerboneyard.com/cpcqkdiscon.html

You can see both QDs in this picture.

If you ended up with a yellow stained crank cover, you can use this silver wheel paint to cover the stain.

http://www.autogeek.net/wurth-silver-paint.html
    Last edited by Lee; 07-02-2012 at 08:53 PM.
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Mendocino, CA USA about as far left as you can get in the lower 48
    I agree with Bob, don't scrimp on these, I had my plastic ones actually spraying out the triangular hole - fortunately, or I never would have known it and who knows what. When installing the second one, be sure to orient it in the reverse manner as the first, ie: male on left on one, male on right on the other. This way, there is no way for you to get them mixed up when you take the tank off.

Also, yes, the quickest and cheapest is to just replace with brass or polypro tubes, and they are very effective as the emergency fix while on the side of the road or waiting for the new metal QDs to arrive.
    Jim Douglas '00 K1200RS >135,000 miles my primary bike again,
    Gone: '09 K1300S sold @ 22k mi, '93 K1100RS traded @ 78k mi, '85 K100RS sold @ 44k mi
    '06 Kaw 650R track bike sold
    http://www.seagullbb.com/

Thanks guys. I was having a tough time seeing both connectors through the hole in the fairing. I can't imagine anything funner than pealing off the fairing panels.
    Shawn Wallace
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote Originally Posted by Roadhawk View Post
    I can't imagine anything funner than pealing off the fairing panels.
    It's not hard, and after you do it once you'll think it's easy.
    Starting at post #2 I have a few pictures and very basic instructions that may help in the link below.
    You won't have to remove the belly pan or left side panel.

http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?...airing+removal
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878

Shawn

When you replace the plastic QDs, save the one good male end.
    You can use it to drain your gas tank the next time you need to change the fuel filter or air filter. You don't have to drain the tank to change an air filter, but a empty tank is easier to lift compared to a full tank.

Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878

mayojuaf
    mmm I replaced the quick disconnects without removing the fairing....

BrokeRecord

Re:

I would love to see that done. The longest and strongest fingers in the World. Give him a prize!

Quote Originally Posted by mayojuaf View Post
    mmm I replaced the quick disconnects without removing the fairing....
    I know one guy that did it, but no way I could manage.
    Even doing one at a gas station, I found it easier to remove the tupperware.

The wet area around the bike is not gas. The gas station gave me some soapy water to wash off the cases so they did not get a gas stain.

My wife carried the big rock to me to sit on. When I saw that I made a mental note to never piss her off

Don't give me crap about the crappy beer in the picture. When you're in Arkansas to take what you can find
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878