Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Waterproof Gloves?

Waterproof Gloves?

I just returned from a trip through the NW which took me through days of hard rain. My rain suit worked well, but the performance of my gloves and boots (treated with the waterproofing goop sold through Aerostich) was less stellar. I have a pair of boot covers picked out, but need your advice regarding gloves. Any practical information would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Welcome to the Forum.

There are lots of threads on this. Click on the "search" word above, and then on "advanced search". In the left box, type in "waterproof gloves", on the right side, click on the word "gear". Then click on "search".

But I suggest Aerostich Triple Digit Glovecovers.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

BMW Pro Summer Gloves are outstanding. They are the first "waterproof" motorcycle gloves I have found that perform as advertised.
    Dave

'06 Triumph Scrambler (Trans-Labrador veteran)

If you are going to be in cold weather, the Gerbings gloves are waterproof. I tested them again in Canada last month. Warm and dry.

http://gerbing.com/Products/Gloves/G3.php
    2011 BMW R1200RT - 2013 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic Limited
    2005 BMW GS (Gone)
    BMWMOA# 154903
    Danny

What model Gerbings? The maker says the G3 is not and says to add waterproofing which of course is not adequate in truly heavy rain.
    For colder weather the Trple Digit uninsulated covers from Aerostich are OK but they don't breathe and will sweat your hands to death in hot humid weather.

I haven't tested my set of BMW Pro Summer gloves yet but they appear to address one of the key failings of many so called waterproof gloves- a liner that won't work with damp or wet hands. And they're GoreTex, as good as it gets..

For myself, when its really hot I don't really care if the gloves are weaterproof as long as they dry fast and don't bleed much. Held Steves, my usual mid temp touring glove, fit that bill OK. The BMW Air summer gloves I also use don't dry as well.

No matter how hot it gets I won't ride barehanded. A spill on unprotected waterlogged hands would shred them a lot worse than if dry...

Don't forget grip shields like those on the GS if you ride in the wet a lot.
    they help a bunch and extend the lower temp range of thin gloves by about 10 degrees also. The S-7 model fits the RT and I made an adapter to fit the same items to a friends R1100S for cold weather touring.
    Hippo Hands and the similar Wunderlich item are another possibility but an acquired taste.

+ also

Quote Originally Posted by rinty View Post
    Welcome to the Forum.

they're pretty good
    Last edited by 26667; 07-02-2012 at 07:15 PM. Reason: sbelling
    We might as well walk. ~ Adam Guettel The Light In The Piazza
    used to own: 1982 R100T, 1984 R65, 1986K75C, 1997 R1100RT, R850R, K75S, 1978 R100RS... what was I thinking?

na1g
    Large/X-large dishwashing gloves: about $3. Slip 'em right over your riding gloves and you are dry and protected. A little baby or Anti Monkey Butt powder inside the dishwashing gloves makes the on and off lots easier. Look for gloves with a textured palm for grip and a flocked interior for comfort. Aerostich sells them but you'll find them locally, too.

pete

iscream-stop
    I got a pair of RS Taichi, they are insulated and the the best gloves I have ever worn for warmth with actual protection for a fall, worn down to 30 on rides. Also great water protection. Just one note about any glove, TUCK THEM IN! once the water runs down your sleeve into the glove it's over and the waterproofing works wrong way when glove is full. Those funny looks you get on road riding in downpours get even funnier when you dump out your gloves.

Anyone have experience with the Atlantis 3 gloves? I've been thinking about purchasing a pair for wet riding but they seem too new to have many comments on this and other forums.

TIA,
    Theo

2009 R1200RT, 2007 Shadow Aero 750 (sold)
    2012 MINI Countryman S, 2004 MINI Cooper S JCW, 2000 BMW 328i

I use Alpinestars Drystar gloves. They work great, warm and dry everytime.

Quote Originally Posted by 32232 View Post
    BMW Pro Summer Gloves are outstanding. They are the first "waterproof" motorcycle gloves I have found that perform as advertised.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

After getting my hands soaked on a long ride I purchased a pair of BMW Allround 2 gloves. Used them for about 10 hours of rain and they performed very well. I consider them a middle weight glove.

tsp
    The http://www.swriding.blogspot.com

Cowboyatheart
    I have a BMW winter glove, that I used today in British Columbia and where it was pouring rain. It's fairly lightweight not too bulky totally waterproof a
    nd has a little wiper rubber on the left finger for cleaning off the visor. Works really well. highly recommend
    Neil
    Want to be happy for a day? Drink. Want to be happy for a year? Get married. Want to be happy for life? Ride a BMW!
    www.TasteMoringa.com Smart Mix & XM3 Energy Drink are the puppies to view...IMO

Quote Originally Posted by rinty View Post
    +2

I have both the light and the insulated versions. After about 7 years, I applied ScotchGard to the thin ones to restore their waterpoofness, when I started noting some occassional leakage.

They pack small so they can be stashed anywhere on the bike. That lets me wear whatever regular glove I want to wear that day, with one overglove that makes them all waterproof. They'll be on the bike heading to Sedalia.
    Mark Neblett
    Fairfax, VA

Gloves

+1 on the BMW Pro Summer Gloves.