Thread: thinking about a 650 GS

Hybrid View

thinking about a 650 GS

I've got an r1200rt and have been thinking about adding a 650gs to the garage. Most of my riding has been paved roads and distances of 300-1000 miles per day but have the urge to take the path less traveled. Someone talk me out of it or into it.
    IBA Number 49673
    Moore OK
    http://lngrdr.blogspot.com/

I bought my 650GS as a communter bike, so far I haven't taken it off road and I'm not sure I will. I ride 60 miles round trip to work, and for that it works great, gets me about 64 mpg and handles traffic well. Except for the seat, which gets old after only about 30 miles. I couldn't see myself riding very far on this bike. I guess an aftermarket seat is in it's future. I had some trouble with the bike when I first got it, spent more time in the shop than out, but it seems to be running good now. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Cool 650's are great bikes!

We have a 650 single and a 650 twin and enjoy them both quite a lot. We have had both bikes on 500+ mile day rides with no complaints. Both bikes get great mileage as well. Good luck!

PS - We have taken them off road just a little so far, but will be getting them very dirty this fall!

Spot on

I am thinking about an F650GS or the newer F700GS, because I want something lighter. At several getogethers, I have quizzed a number of F650GS owners. None of them will sell me their bike.

They like it that much.

Big benefits: lighter, can go off road, great mpg, farkleable, plenty of torque, uses 87 octane gas.

As I age, my 1150GS seems to gaining a bunch of weight, although I do love that fat lady.

I've got a '97 F650 Funduro (97,500 miles), traded in a '99 F650 (38,000 miles) for an '07 F650GS which now has 77,000 miles. I'm thinking of selling the '97 and getting a '12 F650GS or a '13 F700GS later this year.

I get 68-70 mpg on the '07 on regular, I think all of them have been comfortable, and I believe my longest day was 17.5 hours (don't remember the miles). I love them. I do ride dirt roads as well as pavement. The '07s rock in the mountains and elsewhere :-) I've ridden the R1200GS, and while it's a very nice bike, I don't need one that big - or that expensive.

Muriel
    BMW MOA Secretary
    '07 F650 '12 F650 twin
    Running on One Cylinder - except when running on two

runsonwater

Smile 2006 f650gs

I'm 62 y.o. The above is my first bike ever and up to now I had almost no experience riding. I am very pleased with it. In about 4 to 4 1/2 months riding and 6000 miles it has been a great unit. The saddle is difficult after 400 miles but nothing a short break couldn't remedy. Longest ride was 526 miles. It will run 75 to 80 all day long. The mileage seems very good with fully loaded side and tail cases along with a couple of dry sacks but I haven't measured it.
    I have very little time OR but it is my sincere intent to remedy this soon.

P.S. purchased at 12,000 miles now just shy of 18,000
    Last edited by runsonwater; 07-10-2012 at 06:59 AM. Reason: add p.s.

Quote Originally Posted by jimshaw View Post
    I am thinking about an F650GS or the newer F700GS, because I want something lighter. At several getogethers, I have quizzed a number of F650GS owners. None of them will sell me their bike.

They like it that much.

Big benefits: lighter, can go off road, great mpg, farkleable, plenty of torque, uses 87 octane gas.

As I age, my 1150GS seems to gaining a bunch of weight, although I do love that fat lady.
    I just recently sold my 04 1150 GSA and replaced it with a 07 650 Dakar.
    At first I did kind of miss the rock solid feel of the GSA on the highway.

Now...the Dakar is just plain more fun.
    Lighter, better gas mileage and handles very well in all situations.
    Several of my riding buddies thought I had made a big mistake and didn't think I would be able to keep up on a long ride...wrong!..I can sit at 80-85 mph all day with no problem.
    Granted...100 mph is terminal velocity so if you are riding with a group where a "buck twenty" is the norm...well..so what! (I have ridden with such groups)
    My 1150 GSA was pretty much out of wind at the same speed as the Dakar.

I just got tired of herding 600 lbs + of big bike around.
    No regrets so far on getting a lighter bike, having more fun both on and off road.
    War is when the government tells you who the bad guy is. Revolution is when you decide that for yourself. ÔÇôAuthor unknown

light is right

i bought a 2009 g650gs i work all over the country my first stop this year was idaho got to try the bike out on and of road was very happy how the bike handled off rd sand gravel or mud stock tires also. but the seat must go you need to shift your weight when off rd and the stock seat sucks. i would say buy one you will be happy. ps next stop los alamos new mexico