Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 15W-50 instead of 10W-40?

This isn't even a entertaining oil thread

I know you guys can do better than this

Quote Originally Posted by Rburrahm View Post
    I believe the first number in a multigrade oil is an indication of viscosity grade (weight - not winter) of the base oil without the viscosity improvers (VI).
    Nope ... W means winter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_oil

Scroll down to "Grades"
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Long Range Rifleman
    Southeast Arizona....where we ride year round.
    Quote Originally Posted by 85K100LT View Post
    All dealers have a viscosity checker if you use the incorrect weight oil they will know right away.

Believe it!!!
    I gotta call BS on that one. 25 years in car dealership shops and I've never even heard mention of a viscosity checker, let alone used one.

Heavier weight oil may cause the transmission to be harder to shift. My .02, stay with 10w40.

Quote Originally Posted by 85K100LT View Post
    All dealers have a viscosity checker if you use the incorrect weight oil they will know right away.

Believe it!!!
    I'm pretty sure that all bikes produced after 1500 hours, Central European Time on June 12, 2008 have a SAT based transponder onboard that will transmit the weight of oil you are using directly to the OPS Zenter at the mother company's HQ in Stugart. If you use the improper oil they will send a Telex informing you that your warranty "ist kaput". The system also detects oil levels that fall .001 microns below dead-center in the window, tires that are more than .25 PSI over or under the BMW directed pressures and the condition of your final drive. This later function allows BMW Zentral to send you a letter denying your warranty claim for the FD and blaming the failure on your use of poor fuel and improper braking techniques. It is not uncommon for these letters to reach an owner before he/she is even aware of a FD issue. Believe that!!!
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Quote Originally Posted by NI5L View Post
    I gotta call BS on that one. 25 years in car dealership shops and I've never even heard mention of a viscosity checker, let alone used one.
    I have seen the factory fill oil have a UV additive so they can tell if it had the initial oil change. I have also seen factory oil filters that are different than any on the market for the same reason. And I have known of the factory to request a sample of the oil, and also fuel in the case of diesels, for analysis.

So this does happen.

Best to use the right stuff

Rod

Quote Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post
    I have seen the factory fill oil have a UV additive so they can tell if it had the initial oil change. I have also seen factory oil filters that are different than any on the market for the same reason. And I have known of the factory to request a sample of the oil, and also fuel in the case of diesels, for analysis.

So this does happen.

Best to use the right stuff

Rod
    requesting an oil sample, and having a UV additive added at the factory are still quite a ways off from a "viscosity checker" (if such a thing even exists at the repair shop level of operation).
    i'm still awaiting some kind of factual confirmation before i take that original "viscosity checker- believe it" statement off of the BS pile.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

I think if you do a search on the internet you will find that there really are viscosity checkers on the market and available to almost anyone. They are pretty simplistic in operation and I suppose that they could be used to support or deny a warranty claim but that would REALLY be a hard sell. Anything is possible though with BMW.......

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by gunnert View Post
    Heavier weight oil may cause the transmission to be harder to shift. My .02, stay with 10w40.
    seriously doubt that.
    #1- i've been running 20W50 in my F8GS for last 2 summers. no shifting issues whatsoever.
    #2- Oilhead, Airhead and early K bikes all have seperate transmissions- and they run something akin to 80W90, or thicker (up to 75W140), and have no shifting issues related to viscosity.
    #3- oil weight in the combined engine/trans systems is established for appropriate engine operation. i would be inclined to believe that running a slightly heavier spec'd oil would actually improve transmission operation and life, rather than decreasing it.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

The viscosity scales are different for engine oil and gear oil.

80 weight gear oil has the approximate viscosity of 30 weight engine oil. 90 weight gear oil approximates 40 weight or 50 weight engine oil. The scales overlap.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PGlaves; 10-07-2012 at 07:15 PM.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    BMW doesn't "make" any engine oil.

And, the USA is the only place it sells BMW-labeled oil.

In the rest of the world, BMW recommends Castrol.

Here's the chart: http://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/media/...66_low_res.pdf

The six isn't there yet, but I'd guess the recommendation is same as S1000RR, K1300, etc., i.e. Power 1 Racing 5W-40. The USA version of this oil is called Power RS Racing: http://www.castrol.com/castrol/secti...tentId=7040544
    The mechanic at my local dealer has told me that not only does BMW recommend Castrol around the world, the gray can with BMW on the side contains Castrol.
    02' K12LT ~ 83K '97 F650GS ~ 32K' 81 XS400 ~ 9K
    MOA #184190 Club #231 48035

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    The viscosity scales are different for engine oil and gear oil.

80 weight gear oil has the approximate viscosity of 30 weight engine oil. 90 weight gear oil approximates 40 weight or 50 weight engine oil. The scales overlap.
    Paul- thanks for the informative comparison.

that fact (still) supports my contention that 20W50 should be just fine and dandy, and would (still) have no negative impact on transmission operation.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

A dealer doing an accurate enough viscosity test to stand up in court is doubtful. A sample of the engine oil processed in a lab a 50 dollar test to support denying warranty on a mega buck engine is possible. Will BMW do that, I would not take a chance. It has happened with other companies.

Rod

Amateur Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post
    A dealer doing an accurate enough viscosity test to stand up in court is doubtful. A sample of the engine oil processed in a lab a 50 dollar test to support denying warranty on a mega buck engine is possible. Will BMW do that, I would not take a chance. It has happened with other companies.

Rod
    they would have to prove that whatever item is being denied in the warranty is directly related to the oil being the wrong viscosity.... a very unlikely event.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBeemer View Post
    I'm pretty sure that all bikes produced after 1500 hours, Central European Time on June 12, 2008 have a SAT based transponder onboard that will transmit the weight of oil you are using directly to the OPS Zenter at the mother company's HQ in Stugart. If you use the improper oil they will send a Telex informing you that your warranty "ist kaput". The system also detects oil levels that fall .001 microns below dead-center in the window, tires that are more than .25 PSI over or under the BMW directed pressures and the condition of your final drive. This later function allows BMW Zentral to send you a letter denying your warranty claim for the FD and blaming the failure on your use of poor fuel and improper braking techniques. It is not uncommon for these letters to reach an owner before he/she is even aware of a FD issue. Believe that!!!
    Ah! but there is a company that makes a transponder blocker.....I believe it's the same company that makes deer whistles!.......