Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: coffee brewing

Looks like a coffee press is preferred. Thanks.
    keep it light enough to travel.....
    '04 R1150RT
    '81 Honda CB650 Custom

I use this filter basket. It sits ontop of whatever cup or container you wish to make your coffee in and uses standard cone filters. It collapses down flat for packing.

Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

na1g
    +1 on Starbucks Via. Yes, it's instant coffee but it ain't bad and each one-serving packet takes up about as close to no room as you can get. So then all you need is a cup and a heat source, which you probably have in your kit already.

Now if you had an ST1300 Pan, you could brew coffee or hot soup in the fairing pockets. Maybe bake muffins, too.

pete

Quote Originally Posted by na1g View Post
    +1 on Starbucks Via. Yes, it's instant coffee but it ain't bad and each one-serving packet takes up about as close to no room as you can get. So then all you need is a cup and a heat source, which you probably have in your kit already.

Now if you had an ST1300 Pan, you could brew coffee or hot soup in the fairing pockets. Maybe bake muffins, too.

pete
    mmmm.....muffins!
    '04 R1150RT
    '81 Honda CB650 Custom

JoeDabbs
    +1 on the Melitta cup, which you can get in two sizes: single or double.
    Joe Dabbs
    2011 RT
    1975 R60/6

Snowmachiners (snowmobilers to you southerners) have been cooking on their exhaust pipes for many years. It's called a Hot Dogger and can be seen here.

I even saw a turkey breast cooked in one, and quite well too.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Currently using an REI Double Shot Press Mug- a combined double wall stainless cup and French press that has a nice large handle. Its a good one person size- you'd probably want a qt size if traveling 2 up. I like this setup better than a JetBoil..
    Grind my coffee before I leave home and bag it tightly. Use the little sterilized half and half containers that need no refrigeration when I want cream. Heating the water takes less than 2 min on my Soto OD-1R using the pot from my cookset- and I often use that same pot to make breakfast while drinking my freshly brewed cup. If I drank coffee at night, carry a second draker roast would be simple. For AM I like a good medium roast with some acidity..
    Beats heck out of the std rally coffee out of those big aluminum things for which the common stuff still seems to be the cheapest robusta junk around..

Delicious coffee that rivals my espresso machine at home:

Needed-
    Ground coffee
    Sealable bottle (I recommend Nalgene)
    Metal cup or small pot for boiling water, or a source of boiling water

Pour boiling water into a couple of inches of grounds, contained in your nalgene bottle. Cap and swirl or shake. Open and add a dash of cold water. The dash of cold water makes the grounds settle and form a firm puck in the bottom of the nalgene. Wait 5 minutes and enjoy. Grounds stay at bottom.

Starbucks via has all but replaced this. Nowhere near as good, but via is easier to deal with, and if you're a caffiene addict like me, can be used in room temp bottled water as necessary.
    R75/6, 2004 R1150RTA.

PU Nestle' instant packs in all UK hotels & add boiled water

Several sites offer a 'espresso brewer' that I use. (offered in 2 sizes, I use the large one - for a 8 oz cup of coffe.) I take with just enough pre-ground coffee in a zip lock - brew fresh as needed. Takes about 3 minutes start to finish.

The Starbucks Via instant coffee is a great on-the-road solution. It takes up no space and all you need is hot water.

It's the only instant coffee I would ever consider consuming.

The Via packets only have a shelf life of about 3 months. I've drank 6-month Via packets and it tasted old.

Quote Originally Posted by 175781 View Post
    Delicious coffee that rivals my espresso machine at home:

Needed-
    Ground coffee
    Sealable bottle (I recommend Nalgene)
    Metal cup or small pot for boiling water, or a source of boiling water

Pour boiling water into a couple of inches of grounds, contained in your nalgene bottle. Cap and swirl or shake. Open and add a dash of cold water. The dash of cold water makes the grounds settle and form a firm puck in the bottom of the nalgene. Wait 5 minutes and enjoy. Grounds stay at bottom.

Starbucks via has all but replaced this. Nowhere near as good, but via is easier to deal with, and if you're a caffiene addict like me, can be used in room temp bottled water as necessary.
    I'm gonna try this. Thanks.
    '04 R1150RT
    '81 Honda CB650 Custom

JoeDabbs
    Starbucks via is actually microground coffee. Tasty.
    Joe Dabbs
    2011 RT
    1975 R60/6

Thumbs up

I've become spoiled by the gourmet K-cup varieties that are available. I'm looking at ways to use a K-cup with hot water while camping. Some of the new instant coffee's are excellant and are very easy to pack. Good , Hot , Coffee tastes even better when camping out. Ride Safe
    Cave Contents: 1980 R100RT/Ural Sidecar, 2004 R1200CLC, 2006 HD FSXTI
    Ride Safe

Whoever I learned it from decades ago called it indian coffee. Nothing better short of espresso. Several of us mentioned Starbucks via as a substitute- Via is a combination of instant coffee, the instant we're familiar with, and finely ground (powdered) coffee. Nowhere near as good as the real deal, but pretty danged awesome compared to Taster's Choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bikemike View Post
    I'm gonna try this. Thanks.
    R75/6, 2004 R1150RTA.