Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: coffee brewing

coffee brewing

I'm looking to reduce the space requirements for my camping gear that I carry on my bike. One area is my coffee pot. What do you use to brew coffee while camping on a bike?
    keep it light enough to travel.....
    '04 R1150RT
    '81 Honda CB650 Custom

French Press.
    Bob Weis
    '04 K12RS - Hannigan Hack
    www.earplugco.com

Motorcycleton
    This topic was discussed some while back on ADV. There were a lot of folks that recommended the AeroPress. As these units weren't too expensive I obtained one.

One needs to have pre-ground coffee (or carry a portable grinder) and a cup of boiling water. The AeroPress is pretty easy to use and can make a nice strong cup of coffee - in fact the instructions suggest some dilution - not me, I like it strong.
    http://aerobie.com/products/aeropress.htm

Amazon seems to have a pretty good price -

http://www.amazon.com/Aerobie-AeroPr.../dp/B0047BIWSK

a link to a FAQ for the AeroPress is below -
    http://aerobie.com/Products/Details/AeroPressFAQ.htm

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Good coffee is something I really enjoy, so I make room for a proper brew. I have a hand-cranked grinder that takes up as much space as my JetBoil stove, and a French Press. I use the press to carry my and Barley's meds so it really doesn't take up much space, and I nestle it in a sidecase amongst my clothes for padding.
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

Quote Originally Posted by robsryder View Post
    One needs to have pre-ground coffee (or carry a portable grinder) and a cup of boiling water. The AeroPress is pretty easy to use and can make a nice strong cup of coffee - in fact the instructions suggest some dilution - not me, I like it strong.
    http://aerobie.com/products/aeropress.htm
    My coffee kit fits in a small eagle creak packing cube and includes the Aeropress, a Zasenhous turkish mill to grind coffee beans, the beans, an alcohol stove, and extra alcohol.

This image includes my primary stove. The one with the coffee kit is the secondary stove when I need two burners.

The lightest coffee:)

My wife loves the coffee bags, like tea bags. She is a coffee adict too. Most all the coffee comes in tea bags style now and all we do is boil water, add bag....Pretty darn simple and easy. Randy

+2 on the Aeropress. Makes a damn fine coffee. Essentially makes a shot of espresso-like liquid. You then add hot water for an Americano. Marchyman, I like the addition of the Turkish mill. Functional and stylish.

What I don't like is that this stuff is a bit bulky. When space is an issue, I buy instant espresso.

I use a Coleman Stainless Steel French Press and an alcohol stove.

Coleman Stainless Steel French Press

I have a one cup at a time cone filter that sits on the cup. It also fits over a small thermos bottle to fill it for later. I have seen and used small French press pots trouble with French press pots is you get it really strong or sludge. Not for all tastes.

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurdent View Post
    I have a one cup at a time cone filter that sits on the cup. It also fits over a small thermos bottle to fill it for later. I have seen and used small French press pots trouble with French press pots is you get it really strong or sludge. Not for all tastes.
    There's an art to it, but once you get it right the brew can't be beat! If you are attending the rally show up in the morning with your cup and I'll show you what I mean.

Pete
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

Quote Originally Posted by arthurdent View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glenfiddich View Post
    There's an art to it, but once you get it right the brew can't be beat! If you are attending the rally show up in the morning with your cup and I'll show you what I mean.

Pete
    Like plugging a tire, it's something you should practice/learn at home before hitting the road.
    Bob Weis
    '04 K12RS - Hannigan Hack
    www.earplugco.com

I have a jet boil - they make a coffee press accessory - I buy ground beans at the local coffee shop before a trip - works great and very portable.

http://shop.jetboil.com/index.php/coffee-press.html

A friend brought us some cups from Down Under that have their own french press built in. They work well, but generally I heat water with the Jet Boil and then use individual servings of instant coffee. It's not your father's instant coffee anymore.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

JetBoil and Starbucks Via here.
    Kansas. Eleven curves in three hundred eighteen miles...
    '09 R1200RT
    N0PGH
    Iron Butt Assoc. #47865

Cool +1 also

Quote Originally Posted by Brisco View Post
    JetBoil and Starbucks Via here.
    and you can mix the types i.e. Columbian and French or italian dark roast to make your coffee as strong as you like.

Sheesh! I feel like I just did a tag for free.
    We might as well walk. ~ Adam Guettel The Light In The Piazza
    used to own: 1982 R100T, 1984 R65, 1986K75C, 1997 R1100RT, R850R, K75S, 1978 R100RS... what was I thinking?