Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: coffee brewing

Hybrid View

coffee brewing

I'm looking to reduce the space requirements for my camping gear that I carry on my bike. One area is my coffee pot. What do you use to brew coffee while camping on a bike?
    keep it light enough to travel.....
    2013 GL1800 Goldwing
    '81 Honda CB650 Custom

French Press.
    Bob Weis
    '04 K12RS - Hannigan Hack
    www.earplugco.com

Motorcycleton
    This topic was discussed some while back on ADV. There were a lot of folks that recommended the AeroPress. As these units weren't too expensive I obtained one.

One needs to have pre-ground coffee (or carry a portable grinder) and a cup of boiling water. The AeroPress is pretty easy to use and can make a nice strong cup of coffee - in fact the instructions suggest some dilution - not me, I like it strong.
    http://aerobie.com/products/aeropress.htm

Amazon seems to have a pretty good price -

http://www.amazon.com/Aerobie-AeroPr.../dp/B0047BIWSK

a link to a FAQ for the AeroPress is below -
    http://aerobie.com/Products/Details/AeroPressFAQ.htm

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Good coffee is something I really enjoy, so I make room for a proper brew. I have a hand-cranked grinder that takes up as much space as my JetBoil stove, and a French Press. I use the press to carry my and Barley's meds so it really doesn't take up much space, and I nestle it in a sidecase amongst my clothes for padding.
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

Quote Originally Posted by robsryder View Post
    One needs to have pre-ground coffee (or carry a portable grinder) and a cup of boiling water. The AeroPress is pretty easy to use and can make a nice strong cup of coffee - in fact the instructions suggest some dilution - not me, I like it strong.
    http://aerobie.com/products/aeropress.htm
    My coffee kit fits in a small eagle creak packing cube and includes the Aeropress, a Zasenhous turkish mill to grind coffee beans, the beans, an alcohol stove, and extra alcohol.

This image includes my primary stove. The one with the coffee kit is the secondary stove when I need two burners.

The lightest coffee:)

My wife loves the coffee bags, like tea bags. She is a coffee adict too. Most all the coffee comes in tea bags style now and all we do is boil water, add bag....Pretty darn simple and easy. Randy

+2 on the Aeropress. Makes a damn fine coffee. Essentially makes a shot of espresso-like liquid. You then add hot water for an Americano. Marchyman, I like the addition of the Turkish mill. Functional and stylish.

What I don't like is that this stuff is a bit bulky. When space is an issue, I buy instant espresso.

Delicious coffee that rivals my espresso machine at home:

Needed-
    Ground coffee
    Sealable bottle (I recommend Nalgene)
    Metal cup or small pot for boiling water, or a source of boiling water

Pour boiling water into a couple of inches of grounds, contained in your nalgene bottle. Cap and swirl or shake. Open and add a dash of cold water. The dash of cold water makes the grounds settle and form a firm puck in the bottom of the nalgene. Wait 5 minutes and enjoy. Grounds stay at bottom.

Starbucks via has all but replaced this. Nowhere near as good, but via is easier to deal with, and if you're a caffiene addict like me, can be used in room temp bottled water as necessary.
    R75/6, 2004 R1150RTA.

PU Nestle' instant packs in all UK hotels & add boiled water

Several sites offer a 'espresso brewer' that I use. (offered in 2 sizes, I use the large one - for a 8 oz cup of coffe.) I take with just enough pre-ground coffee in a zip lock - brew fresh as needed. Takes about 3 minutes start to finish.

Rally Rat
    The Starbucks Via instant coffee is a great on-the-road solution. It takes up no space and all you need is hot water.

It's the only instant coffee I would ever consider consuming.

The Via packets only have a shelf life of about 3 months. I've drank 6-month Via packets and it tasted old.

Quote Originally Posted by 175781 View Post
    Delicious coffee that rivals my espresso machine at home:

Needed-
    Ground coffee
    Sealable bottle (I recommend Nalgene)
    Metal cup or small pot for boiling water, or a source of boiling water

Pour boiling water into a couple of inches of grounds, contained in your nalgene bottle. Cap and swirl or shake. Open and add a dash of cold water. The dash of cold water makes the grounds settle and form a firm puck in the bottom of the nalgene. Wait 5 minutes and enjoy. Grounds stay at bottom.

Starbucks via has all but replaced this. Nowhere near as good, but via is easier to deal with, and if you're a caffiene addict like me, can be used in room temp bottled water as necessary.
    I'm gonna try this. Thanks.
    keep it light enough to travel.....
    2013 GL1800 Goldwing
    '81 Honda CB650 Custom

Starbucks via is actually microground coffee. Tasty.

Thumbs up

I've become spoiled by the gourmet K-cup varieties that are available. I'm looking at ways to use a K-cup with hot water while camping. Some of the new instant coffee's are excellant and are very easy to pack. Good , Hot , Coffee tastes even better when camping out. Ride Safe
    Cave Contents: 1980 R100RT/Ural Sidecar, 2004 R1200CLC, 2006 HD FSXTI
    Ride Safe

Whoever I learned it from decades ago called it indian coffee. Nothing better short of espresso. Several of us mentioned Starbucks via as a substitute- Via is a combination of instant coffee, the instant we're familiar with, and finely ground (powdered) coffee. Nowhere near as good as the real deal, but pretty danged awesome compared to Taster's Choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bikemike View Post
    I'm gonna try this. Thanks.
    R75/6, 2004 R1150RTA.