Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Alaska Trip

Ferrys?

Thanks for the info. Will I need to make reservations for these Ferry boats , or can you just show up?

Quote Originally Posted by lrccci
    Thanks for the info. Will I need to make reservations for these Ferry boats , or can you just show up?
    For the Alaska Marine Highway, if you want to camp on deck, you can probably just show up a few hours before sailing. To book a stateroom during July and August, you will have to reserve in advance - they sell out quickly. If you are merely going from Prince Rupert to Haines, it's just two nights, so sleeping on deck or in a lounge chair is probably fine. From Bellingham, I'd try for a stateroom. YMMV.

On the BC Ferries, there are no staterooms, and no advance booking that I know of. They can generally always accomodate a motorcycle and rider. Just be sure to get to the dock when they tell you. BC Ferries have food on board, so that's no problem. BC Ferries are also much less expensive than the AMH.

Last year, the Cassiar Highway (37) was undergoing a LOT of construction, so some California GS riders with immediate experience influenced me not to take it. This year could be completely different.

Jim

Airhead GS convert...
    Quote Originally Posted by lrccci
    I would like to plan a trip to Alaska. I am looking for info on traveling to there on my RT. I live in southern CA and would like to ride there, but don't know what to expect, once I get north of Washington state. What is the route from there and what can I expect in the way of road conditions and accommodations? Are there any books on this subject? Thanks for any info that you can send me.undefined
    I rode to Alaska / YT / NWT back in 1999 on an R11rs. Here's my trip report, including lists of gear, etc:

http://www.ibmwr.org/pastevnt/grosje...ka/alaska.html

We ferried north, rode back on the Cassiar Hwy, after doing much of the Dempster.

I took an Oilhead RS because it had a big alternator, a comfy seat, good suspension, and it was what I owned at the time. Now I own an Airhead GS and a Concours and a DR-350s, and if I were leaving next month for Alaska I'd get a big alternator for the GS, and maybe a kickstart just in case, and go. The Concours is slightly more comfy, but I'd rather have a "dirtier" bike under me if given the choice between several different machines. In 1999, I didn't have as many choices, and the DR-350 wasn't chosen due to lack of comfort.

Regarding the rest of this thread - I haven't seen any bad advice anywhere in it.

Oh, and regarding ferry boats - I called a year ahead, and was told if I was willing to camp we could just show up. That's *almost* what we did.... ended up calling just a couple days before to confirm there was room. I was told that staterooms and space for RV's in the hold fills up early. A motorcyclist willing to camp could almost always be squeezed in somewhere.

Best,
    Doug Grosjean
    Luckey, Ohio
    www.douggrosjean.com

Outstanding advice from Jim. I've done the trip in a cage (driving from FL to AK) and that was the experience of a lifetime. I WILL go back in a couple of years on two wheels. And I plan to do so on my airhead RS and don't expect any serious trouble doing so.
    -Mike

'02 R1150R
    '88 R100RS

Yukon/Dempster Travel

Its interested to read about people riding up to Alaska/Yukon/Dempster Aiway. Our club ride these roads all the time, and not even think about it anymore. After 29 years living in Inuvik its all old hat. Took the Cassiar highway and the Dempster highway a couple of times last year with not a problem. Usually ride a R1150RT and been on the Alaska Ferry system also. The Inuvik club is riding to the www.rideyukon.com rally in Whitehorse this year in Whitehorse, so I hope to some of can make it there. Then its off to Lima. I really do not see why you would just ride up to the Arctic Circle, and turn around. Everyone should just continue up to Inuvik, and then fly up to Tuk for a swim in the Arctic Ocean.

Quote Originally Posted by ve8nc
    Its interested to read about people riding up to Alaska/Yukon/Dempster Aiway. Our club ride these roads all the time, and not even think about it anymore. After 29 years living in Inuvik its all old hat. Took the Cassiar highway and the Dempster highway a couple of times last year with not a problem. Usually ride a R1150RT and been on the Alaska Ferry system also. The Inuvik club is riding to the www.rideyukon.com rally in Whitehorse this year in Whitehorse, so I hope to some of can make it there. Then its off to Lima. I really do not see why you would just ride up to the Arctic Circle, and turn around. Everyone should just continue up to Inuvik, and then fly up to Tuk for a swim in the Arctic Ocean.
    Glad to know we have members in Inuvik!!
    Cheers............Rod
    BMWMOA# 114168 IBA# 19606
    "Road Worthy": http://www.trafford.com/Bookstore/Bo...=SKU-000167680