Thread: roads to the rally

roads to the rally

coming from central illinois i was thinking of taking I-72 into iowa and get on 24 and go to north of marshall , mo where our motel is. any comments, i know its probably all corn and beans but maybe its better than taking I-70 west of st.louis.

thanks

I'm taking Rt 24 almost all the way there....but then that works for my location...

Mac
    Mac
    1986 R80RT, 2005 R1200GS
    Livin' Large On The Lake

I recently rode 65 from Sedalia to Iowa. There is NO premium I could find until Osceola or Indianola. Just that Casey's 89 octane stuff. Be sure to start that stretch FULL. I was not completely full when I left, had to buy some cheap stuff. It was OK. For the rally it will be HOT, The RS does not like 89 when it is that hot!

Other than that nice ride, gently rolling farm country, relaxing and scenic.

Rod

Quote Originally Posted by rayma60927 View Post
    coming from central illinois i was thinking of taking I-72 into iowa and get on 24 and go to north of marshall , mo where our motel is. any comments, i know its probably all corn and beans but maybe its better than taking I-70 west of st.louis.

thanks
    My recommendation, Pick up US 54 and go through Louisiana. You can take 54 all the way to Jeff City and then 50 to the Rally. IMHO 54 is prettier especially around the Mississippi River. Stop in Fulton MO at National Churchill Memorial as well. Very worth while. http://www.churchillmemorial.org/Pages/default.aspx That is where he gave the famous "Iron Curtain" speak.

A longer route would be to go from Louisiana, MO to Hermann and then along (highway 100) the river to Jeff City. The area along the Missouri River is beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaMac View Post
    I'm taking Rt 24 almost all the way there....but then that works for my location...

Mac
    Last year I traveled to Beardstown quit a bit. 24 would be the fastest way but 54 would not take much longer and could be a good choice for your return.

I'm planning to ride up to Van Buren,MO to visit some old pards on my way to the rally. What would be the most pleasant route to the rally from there ?

Quote Originally Posted by rdubarton View Post
    I'm planning to ride up to Van Buren,MO to visit some old pards on my way to the rally. What would be the most pleasant route to the rally from there ?
    Great area to ride! Make sure you check out Big Springs State Park while there.

From Van Buren go east to Winona.
    At Winona go north on 19 Salem
    Salem 72 north to Rolla
    From Rolla take 63 north to 50 and Jeff City
    50 west to the Rally

Or

At Rolla go west (You can ride I44 or find parts of old Route 66) to Devils Elbow. Stop at Devil's Inn for lunch of something cold to drink.
    Continue West to St. Robert and then Waynesville.
    Waynesville Go N. on 17 to Tuscumbia.
    At Tuscumbia pick up 52.
    52 to 65.
    65 north to Sedalia.