20%

Sunday, 22
    Chance of a Thunderstorm
    104 | 73 ??F
    Chance of T-storms
    Chance of
    Precipitation
    40%

I have other commitments that prevent me from attending this year, but this looks as bad as Bloomsburg. I pray that everyone is cautious.
    Last edited by redsky49; 07-15-2012 at 01:29 AM. Reason: Attribution: Weatherunderground

Quote Originally Posted by Greenwald View Post
    Absolutely - switch to mesh. Makes a huge difference in air flow as you ride.

Just looked at NOAA Weather - Rally week in Sedalia has mid to high 90's predicted for most days.

Good news is: plenty of air-conditioned buildings, water and ice, so see you there.
    Just be aware that mesh can quickly lead to dehydration if fluid intake is not sufficient. It is extremely effective as evaporative cooling, but the downside is that it can quickly lead to trouble. Replace the fluid lost to sweating/evaporation!

Wow...where's that forecast for, Phoenix?

Weather.com shows:

Wed - 98/76
    Thurs - 97/74 with scattered t-storms
    Fri - 96/75
    Sat - 99/74 with pm thunderstorms

Hot, humid and who cares...we're going to have a good time.

If heat scares you, I hear it's still in the 40's overnight in Alaska.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by redsky49 View Post
    Just be aware that mesh can quickly lead to dehydration if fluid intake is not sufficient. It is extremely effective as evaporative cooling, but the downside is that it can quickly lead to trouble. Replace the fluid lost to sweating/evaporation!
    Good points. Hydration often overlooked.

As for Sedalia weather, not trying to turn this into a "my forecast is better than your forecast," but NASA, many pilots I know and your's truly rely on this:

noaa.gov

No worries about rain for Rally week - but HOT is the operative word if you read thru the forecast.

Take precautions and see you there!
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

Quote Originally Posted by Greenwald View Post
    Good points. Hydration often overlooked.

As for Sedalia weather, not trying to turn this into a "my forecast is better than your forecast," but NASA, many pilots I know and your's truly rely on this:

noaa.gov

No worries about rain for Rally week - but HOT is the operative word if you read thru the forecast.

Take precautions and see you there!

Here is one occasion where I hope I am wrong

Here is where I got my info on weather:

http://www.wunderground.com/q/zmw:65301.1.99999

They have been pretty accurate for my area of the country.

Just like the purple thing...
    Last edited by redsky49; 07-15-2012 at 02:13 AM. Reason: added weatherunderground link

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by redsky49 View Post

Here is one occasion where I hope I am wrong

Here is where I got my info on weather:

http://www.wunderground.com/q/zmw:65301.1.99999

They have been pretty accurate for my area of the country.

Just like the purple thing...
    Wunderground is accurate for me also. The latest shows heat indexes:

Thursday
    Partly cloudy with a chance of a thunderstorm and rain in the afternoon. High of 102F with a heat index of 115F. Winds from the WSW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 20%.
    Thursday Night
    Partly cloudy with a chance of a thunderstorm. Low of 79F. Winds less than 5 mph. Chance of rain 50% with rainfall amounts near 0.2 in. possible.
    Friday
    Partly cloudy with a chance of a thunderstorm. High of 102F with a heat index of 113F. Winds less than 5 mph. Chance of rain 40%.
    Friday Night
    Partly cloudy with a chance of a thunderstorm. Low of 75F. Winds from the East at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.
    Saturday
    Partly cloudy with a chance of a thunderstorm. High of 99F with a heat index of 111F. Winds less than 5 mph. Chance of rain 40%.
    Saturday Night
    Partly cloudy with a chance of a thunderstorm. Low of 75F. Winds less than 5 mph. Chance of rain 40%.
    Sunday
    Partly cloudy with a chance of a thunderstorm. High of 104F. Winds from the WSW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50%.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

That settles it, I am buying a tent fan and batteries before I leave.

My tent has a mesh top, I think I will set up the rain fly, then take it off, and have handy just in case. Or I can drag the air mattress out and put on bug spray and sleep under the stars.

after it is dark a while should be able to get some sleep. Oddly enough, high heat and shade make me tired, so I may just nap some. Note remember to pack the sleeping shorts.

Rod

Clay

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Ah well, having ridden 1700 miles already I'll show up and make the best of it. Which sounds pretty darned good!
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

I didn't go to Bloomburg last year and I am not going to Sadalia this year due to the heat. Turning a rally into a survival contest by holding it in mid July in one of the hottest parts of the country doesn't appeal to me at all. When the national is held in a cooler location, or at a cooler time of the year Perhaps I will once again attend. Good luck to all those brave souls attending this years rally.

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by nytrashman View Post
    I didn't go to Bloomburg last year and I am not going to Sadalia this year due to the heat. Turning a rally into a survival contest by holding it in mid July in one of the hottest parts of the country doesn't appeal to me at all. When the national is held in a cooler location, or at a cooler time of the year Perhaps I will once again attend. Good luck to all those brave souls attending this years rally.
    I went to several RA Rallies in June or late September/early October. One was HOT, 2 were COLD and one was JUST right. I prefer mid June. I think the secret is elevation. Rallies should all be above 2,000 feet. Even if it is hot during the day, the nights tend to be cool and comfortable.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

I decided not to attend last year because of the heat and it's the same scenario this year.
    This is the result of wrong decision making and nothing else. I ride for fun and atgatt and 100+ weather is not where I want to be.
    Good Luck to everybody who is attending.

Clay
    It's cooler in North Fla where I've been cave training at..

http://www.weather.com/weather/5-day...+USFL0280:1:US

..then Sadalia this week

http://www.weather.com/weather/5-day...+USMO0801:1:US

Certain individuals have been spouting that the MOA has no control of the weather..but they sure have control on where and when their Rally can be held..

Wish it was like last year when i rode though Sedalia in the middle of August. I had my jacket liner in and grip heaters on. Unseasonably cold then.

I keep looking at the temperature at Sedalia each day... and each day the temperature gets hotter, hotter, and hotter!!!
    Bye bye 2006 F650 GS for a 2011 F650 GS.