Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 91

Thread: 1st gear or neutral at stops?

  1. #31
    Amateur Veteran R1200RClassic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Portland OR
    Posts
    245
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkM View Post
    OK, got it. Your 1170cc boxer works like a jet engine and manufacturers are OK with no warm up because it won't affect their warranty claims. Just curious, is "thermal dynamics" the same as thermodynamics?

    Seriously though, several oilhead owners have started their bikes, let them warm up on fast idle, and run back inside for something. Then one thing or another delayed them or they completely forgot they left the bike running. Twenty minutes later they walk out to find bad things have happened to their bikes. Once a guy even burned down his garage that way. So not knowing your background and knowledge of oilheads, it seemed prudent to pass along this bit of wisdom collected here on the forum. There are plenty of folks here who have ridden with minimal warm up, racking up well over 100K miles on their bikes.

    Ride safely and enjoy that beautiful R. Love the stripe.
    you got me on the typo.. I think faster than I can type... but there is no difference between a jet engine and a car engine in how the metals react to heat. The only one I can think of is 100,000 miles on a motorcycle engine in term of hours is a fraction of the expected life you get from a jet engine... Conservative approach is to warm it up, even just a little.. a cold engine, with cold oil isn't ready for high power settings, much less full power. Especially one designed to be air cooled. Recip engine airplanes are even more susceptible to damage when run at high power and cold... many of those engines on smaller airplanes are 4 and 6 cylinder boxers, not much different in how they work than our 1170cc engine...

    btw, the openers manual expressly states not to let it reach very high temps due to potential of fire... so common sense would say not to let it idle for 30 min in a warm garage.. The manuals exclusion of the short (30 sec to 1 min) idle before riding is largely due to the fact that it's against the law to idle vehicles in Germany (due to my above mentioned green political pressure).
    Last edited by R1200RClassic; 06-28-2012 at 12:34 PM.
    2012 R1200R - Classic / ESA II, ABS II, ASC, Heated Grips, Sports Windshield, Computer.
    2005 Honda Shadow 750 Spirit (on cragslist).

  2. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    16
    Like the instructions say; Start it up and drive it away. We're not dealing with "super pressures, temps"...

  3. #33
    Mars needs women! 35634's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    1,970
    At red lights I clamp on the front brake, redline it in 1st with the clutch out and rear tire spinning. The flying gravel and smoke discourages anyone from rear ending me, and it keeps the tire warm for a fast gettaway just in case.







    Seriously, a whole thread on keeping it in 1st or neutral?
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

  4. #34
    Registered User Bmandiego's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Escondido
    Posts
    640
    Quote Originally Posted by 35634 View Post
    At red lights I clamp on the front brake, redline it in 1st with the clutch out and rear tire spinning. The flying gravel and smoke discourages anyone from rear ending me, and it keeps the tire warm for a fast gettaway just in case.


    Seriously, a whole thread on keeping it in 1st or neutral?
    I like your safety precaution at the light. Strap some sparklers on, and you might have something there.
    AND
    Heck yeah! This thread is good! You're here right?

  5. #35
    Novice Adventurer Newstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Landenberg, PA
    Posts
    2,690
    Quote Originally Posted by 35634 View Post

    Seriously, a whole thread on keeping it in 1st or neutral?
    Over a million views and 35,000+ replies on word association??? Sure, why not a three page thread on 1st or neutral.

  6. #36
    Registered User ANDYVH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Green Bay, WI, west side about 1.5 miles from Lambeau.
    Posts
    1,419
    On a jet or airplane engine, I can understand proper engine warmup. Don't want any "hiccup" on take off.

    On our BMWs, NO warmup needed, only sufficient oil pressure to turn off the oil warning light. If you are starting the bike and riding within a minute, then I'd say you're ok, though I have never done that in 165,000 trouble free miles on my 94 RS. I don't even start the bike until I am sitting on it, gear on, ready to go. I fire it up, high idle for maybe 30 seconds if that much, clutch in, 1st gear and go.
    Woodenshoe to Cheesehead

  7. #37
    Amateur Veteran R1200RClassic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Portland OR
    Posts
    245
    Quote Originally Posted by ANDYVH View Post
    On a jet or airplane engine, I can understand proper engine warmup. Don't want any "hiccup" on take off.

    On our BMWs, NO warmup needed, only sufficient oil pressure to turn off the oil warning light. If you are starting the bike and riding within a minute, then I'd say you're ok, though I have never done that in 165,000 trouble free miles on my 94 RS. I don't even start the bike until I am sitting on it, gear on, ready to go. I fire it up, high idle for maybe 30 seconds if that much, clutch in, 1st gear and go.


    good then, we're in the same camp, and we agree..... I expressly stated NOT REACHING NORMAL OPERATING TEMP... 30 sec to 1 min idle is all you need to warm up this engine... Just as 2 minutes is all you need to warm up a jet engine, even though normal operating temps can get MUCH higher at higher power settings..

    The "Ride and Go" crowd is the guys that literarily don't' idle for any period of time, but get up and go hitting 4500-5500 rpm within 5 seconds of starting a cold engine..


    now if you've just ridden the bike and it's been parked for maybe 30 min, it might be plenty warm enough to get on and go... but not after it's been sitting in the garage all night at 30 degrees F and the oil is all drained into the sump...

    I wanted to add one more important thing regarding the oil sump... if you take a cold bike with oil filled to the top of the window, and run the engine ... time how long it takes for that oil level to drop down to the bottom 1/4 (the normal level when it's running.. have someone hold the bike upright... see how long it takes for that oil to migrate thru the entire engine.
    Last edited by R1200RClassic; 06-28-2012 at 06:34 PM. Reason: final point added
    2012 R1200R - Classic / ESA II, ABS II, ASC, Heated Grips, Sports Windshield, Computer.
    2005 Honda Shadow 750 Spirit (on cragslist).

  8. #38
    Amateur Veteran R1200RClassic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Portland OR
    Posts
    245
    Quote Originally Posted by 35634 View Post
    Seriously, a whole thread on keeping it in 1st or neutral?
    I've seen much longer discussions about absolutely useless stuff on here... this is a major safety issue and there are a lot of good opinions to be heard about it.
    2012 R1200R - Classic / ESA II, ABS II, ASC, Heated Grips, Sports Windshield, Computer.
    2005 Honda Shadow 750 Spirit (on cragslist).

  9. #39
    Registered User lkchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    4,604
    Quote Originally Posted by R1200RClassic View Post
    I've seen much longer discussions about absolutely useless stuff on here... this is a major safety issue and there are a lot of good opinions to be heard about it.
    A "major safety issue" yet the thread remains buried in "Oilheads."

    IMHO ranks right there with "always stop your motor with the kill switch."
    Kent Christensen
    21482
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

  10. #40
    Bmuused
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Westchester, Illinois
    Posts
    45
    It's a pretty basic topic, but it does give me a chance to tell this story: A few weeks ago, I was sitting at a stoplight, in traffic, next to a police car. I heard the sickening squeal of tires behind me and caught a glimpse of something rushing up behind me in my mirrors. I popped the clutch and lurched forward about six feet, but there was nowhere to go. Stupid! I didn't leave an escape route. I braced for impact. There was a final shriek of rubber on pavement and... nothing. I turned around to see the front bumper of a black BMW 7 series (ironic, I know) ALMOST kissing my back wheel. The driver was clutching the steering wheel with that wide eyed deer-in-the-headlights look. (Never mind what my eyes looked like, I was wearing sunglasses.) As I glared at her, she fumbled on the seat next to her, picked up her cell phone and RESUMED HER CALL! Son-of-a...! I threw down my sidestand, killing the engine (without using the kill switch, sue me) and started to get off the bike when the cop next to me activated his lights. He waived me on with an "I got this" look, although I'm sure it was more to protect the other driver or keep me from doing something stupid. As I pulled away, I saw him motioning the car to the shoulder. There is SOME justice in the world.
    Good judgment comes from experience, but experience often comes from bad judgment.

  11. #41
    Registered User RINTY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    4,238
    i don't even start the bike until i am sitting on it...andyvh
    +1.
    Rinty

    "When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

  12. #42
    Registered User Bmandiego's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Escondido
    Posts
    640
    Quote Originally Posted by 182242 View Post
    It's a pretty basic topic, but it does give me a chance to tell this story: A few weeks ago, I was sitting at a stoplight, in traffic, next to a police car. I heard the sickening squeal of tires behind me and caught a glimpse of something rushing up behind me in my mirrors. I popped the clutch and lurched forward about six feet, but there was nowhere to go. Stupid! I didn't leave an escape route. I braced for impact. There was a final shriek of rubber on pavement and... nothing. I turned around to see the front bumper of a black BMW 7 series (ironic, I know) ALMOST kissing my back wheel. The driver was clutching the steering wheel with that wide eyed deer-in-the-headlights look. (Never mind what my eyes looked like, I was wearing sunglasses.) As I glared at her, she fumbled on the seat next to her, picked up her cell phone and RESUMED HER CALL! Son-of-a...! I threw down my sidestand, killing the engine (without using the kill switch, sue me) and started to get off the bike when the cop next to me activated his lights. He waived me on with an "I got this" look, although I'm sure it was more to protect the other driver or keep me from doing something stupid. As I pulled away, I saw him motioning the car to the shoulder. There is SOME justice in the world.
    Nice story! I know I've been more attentive at lights due to this thread. I need to practice more on leaving escape routes.
    Once a long time ago when I had my cb750f, I was splitting lanes during rush hour, Nothing too fast, fortunately.
    Suddenly, this car pulled into my lane ahead of me. I had to serve left, between two cars that were moving slowly in the fast lane, then swerve right before I hit the guard rail, all in moving, packed traffic.
    I'm not sure how I did that.
    This beemer is a little heavier, hope I could do the same if I need to get out of the way.
    2000 R1100RT-P

  13. #43
    not so retired henzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    between SanAntone & the Weird Place, TX
    Posts
    5,752
    Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    A "major safety issue" yet the thread remains buried in "Oilheads."

    IMHO ranks right there with "always stop your motor with the kill switch."
    I thought the same many posts ago...Moving to Just Ridin' seems to be a riding issue for all.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

  14. #44
    Hear that ticking sound? jnerges's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by 182242 View Post
    It's a pretty basic topic, but it does give me a chance to tell this story: A few weeks ago, I was sitting at a stoplight, in traffic, next to a police car. I heard the sickening squeal of tires behind me and caught a glimpse of something rushing up behind me in my mirrors. I popped the clutch and lurched forward about six feet, but there was nowhere to go. Stupid! I didn't leave an escape route. I braced for impact. There was a final shriek of rubber on pavement and... nothing. I turned around to see the front bumper of a black BMW 7 series (ironic, I know) ALMOST kissing my back wheel. The driver was clutching the steering wheel with that wide eyed deer-in-the-headlights look. (Never mind what my eyes looked like, I was wearing sunglasses.) As I glared at her, she fumbled on the seat next to her, picked up her cell phone and RESUMED HER CALL! Son-of-a...! I threw down my sidestand, killing the engine (without using the kill switch, sue me) and started to get off the bike when the cop next to me activated his lights. He waived me on with an "I got this" look, although I'm sure it was more to protect the other driver or keep me from doing something stupid. As I pulled away, I saw him motioning the car to the shoulder. There is SOME justice in the world.
    I came to the party late, what's the tally for those that leave it in gear. I do for sure. I don't relax until I see at least two cars behind me at a light that are stopped. I figure if they get to me through two cars, its T-Time anyway.

    Bottom line, if I am heading into trouble, or trouble is heading into me, nothing will change unless I move. Sitting still means there options don't change. Pop the clutch, run away.

    Awesome story about the cop, tell him thank you.

  15. #45
    Mind is not for rent 05Train's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    176
    In gear, with an escape route.

    But who the hell uses the kill switch? The side stand's for killing the engine.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •