Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st gear or neutral at stops?

Dale Rudolph
    Quote Originally Posted by Newstar View Post
    Over a million views and 35,000+ replies on word association??? Sure, why not a three page thread on 1st or neutral.
    I agree.
    Surely sometime in the next couple of years the moderators are going to say "ENOUGH".

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by LngRdr View Post
    Yes to both. I always try to leave room and watch my rear until the car behind me comes to a stop. I put it in neutral to start but leave it in first when I park it.
    What he said, and for the reasons he said.

Taught to all my students - stay in first when stopped for evasive maneuvering if needed - as long as clutch fully in - don't worry about 'damage to internal parts.'

Always park in gear - have seen more than one bike bumped down because someone didn't.

Pretty simple.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

OK, but what about the guy sitting first at the light, in first gear with the clutch in. The clutch cable snaps and he jumps into the intersection in front of a big truck blasting thru the intersection? Won't happen if it's in neutral.

I usually put it in neutral unless it's obviously gonna be just a short stop but keep the clutch covered & left foot on the shifter.

Some of these stories are pretty scary. Makes me wonder if I shouldn't just hang up the helmet & sell the bike...

Amateur Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by MARKAZ View Post
    OK, but what about the guy sitting first at the light, in first gear with the clutch in. The clutch cable snaps and he jumps into the intersection in front of a big truck blasting thru the intersection? Won't happen if it's in neutral.

I usually put it in neutral unless it's obviously gonna be just a short stop but keep the clutch covered & left foot on the shifter.

Some of these stories are pretty scary. Makes me wonder if I shouldn't just hang up the helmet & sell the bike...
    not likely to happen, but I can see your point.. for me once the traffic situation around me stabilizes I don't see any reason to remain in 1st...

OK, but what about the guy sitting first at the light, in first gear with the clutch in. The clutch cable snaps and he jumps into the intersection in front of a big truck blasting thru the intersection?
    wow, that sounds pretty scary.

when did you see that happen?
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

It's the chicken and egg question again.

When I was an instructor decades ago, we taught that you stopped the bike in neutral at an intersection if you had to be stopped for a period of time, such as at a red light.

The theory was that if your clutch cable snapped, or you lost your balance, let go of the clutch lever etc. your vehicle would move into cross traffic.

Of course, you can also argue that if you're in first gear, you can move away instantly if required to avoid a collision.

What do I do? In neutral at red lights, in first at a stop sign, or right turn on a red since I simply have to stop moving, then move when the way is clear..........Rod.
    Work is the curse of the riding class

Broken clutch cable...got one...

Age 16 sitting at neighborhood pool parking lot ( made of oyster shells) on my Honda Scrambler 90...looking cool for the girls with clutch pulled in to do a 180 and ride off. I did have my heavy as heck 3/4 Bell helmet on and maybe my Chukka boots as major gear...

well, guess what happens...clutch cable snapped as I revved up, the bike kind of left without me into an embankment and a post...def not the cool look I was working on, the girls laughed and came to my rescue anyways

From that point on, I learned all about major preventive maintenance,better gear and quit trying to be so dang cool...most stuck with me.

anyways...it happens

on the original question, it depends on situation...
    some places I am ready to get out of anyones way, sometimes I make the decision I am good. Can't live my life always thinking I'm going to get run over at every stopping situation...kind of takes the joy out of it with morbid thoughts of constant doom. It's like always covering the brake as I ride...another situation dependent decision...for me anyways.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

1st gear for both. I've experienced the side stand fold up! Always leave an exit path when stopped at lights.
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511
    YB #2005

Reading your post, I realize I stop with the clutch in, 1st gear selected AND my foot and/or hand on the brake. If the clutch ever malfunctioned, the bike would just stall.
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511
    YB #2005

Moondog
    First gear

Geeser
    +1
    Marty
    K1600GTL
    F700GS
    IBA #42016

I've been rear-ended twice. First time, I was just inching forward along with traffic at a light when the lady behind me forgot to brake as she was moving forward. Bike was in first. When she smacked me (hard enough) to crack the rear fender, and because my clutch was in, the whole clutch grip rotated downward, my hand released the clutch (involuntarily) and the bike jumped into the oncoming lane. The oncoming car missed me by inches, but I managed to stay aright. Second time, I was in neutral, and another lady plowed into me from behind. I think the bike slipped out from underneath me as I was slammed into the pavement. Which would have been better? I guess I really don't know. Generally, though, I keep it in first, ready for evasive action.

It won't happen if the bike is idling, it will stall every time.

I will stay in first at a light unless there are vehicles behind me offering some protection. If I am safe, I'll slip it into neutral.

On a closely related topic, I always check my mirror anytime I slow or stop, and while stopped.

The BRC taught me many years ago to always park in gear and I see no reason to do otherwise.

Harry
    2003 R1150RT - Silver

Cool

On a modern motorcycle, your clutch cable catastorphically "snapping" is unlikely.

Getting rear ended by a distracted driver (that's politically correct language - old version was "idiot") - much more likely.

Stay in gear, keep one bike length back from vehicle in front of you, angle your bike to an escape path on either side of what's in front of you and watch your rearview mirror.

Live longer that way.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

Amateur Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenwald View Post
    On a modern motorcycle, your clutch cable catastorphically "snapping" is unlikely.

Getting rear ended by a distracted driver (that's politically correct language - old version was "idiot") - much more likely.

Stay in gear, keep one bike length back from vehicle in front of you, angle your bike to an escape path on either side of what's in front of you and watch your rearview mirror.

Live longer that way.

or better yet, stay in gear UNTIL the car behind you stops... I can't see why you'd "have to" stay in gear once there are no moving cars around you.. if you're boxed in so to say.