Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Safety Slogans I Hate

I ride like I'm invisible. The stupid far outnumber the willfully wrong. But I have encountered aggressive, borderline assaultive drivers that behaved so without any invitation from me. In some instances, paths diverged, in others, they ended up getting cited.
    R75/6, 2004 R1150RTA.

Quote Originally Posted by 175781 View Post
    I ride like I'm invisible. The stupid far outnumber the willfully wrong. But I have encountered aggressive, borderline assaultive drivers that behaved so without any invitation from me. In some instances, paths diverged, in others, they ended up getting cited.
    I really like RIDE LIKE YOU ARE INVISIBLE as opposed to RIDE LIKE THEY ARE ALL OUT TO KILL YOU, though some may think they say the same thing. The first slogan removes the anger and I believe is just more accurate. Anger is not a helpful emotion on a bike.

Numerous methods of becoming more visible have been mentioned in this thread. ALL of them work (helmet color, jacket color, extra lighting, swerving, lane positioning.) They work even better when you combine them as circumstances require. BUT they don't work perfectly, so you have to be ready to brake and/or swerve when you don't capture the attention of the totally oblivious.

Using a combination of white helmet, bright (but not flourescent) jacket, Skeene lights front and rear, some swerves, and being aware of making myself visible to traffic - both turners and potential passers, I can't recall anyone in the last two years who has invaded my right of way. But that doesn't mean that it won't happen tomorrow.

I must admit I also don't ride the meaner streets some of you face with bored/distracted/angry commuters on sometimes high speed freeways. Commuters in those situations may well have a different attitude than us rural retired folk who can ride where we chose.
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

Quote Originally Posted by BCKRIDER View Post
    I believe your second quotation is spot on. (I learned the hard way - but in a car - that the person pulling over to the shoulder on a four lane road may simply be preparing for a U-turn across four lanes.) Have to disagree with your first quote, though. The most protective gear I own is also the most comfortable. I see being too hot or cold as a SAFETY issue. Comfort as well as padding and material which will protect your skin in a slide are now so widely available that it is no longer and either/or question - which it was when leather was the only rational choice.
    There is nothing in the saying "Dress for the slide, not for the ride" which suggests it to be an "either/or" choice, requiring you to give up comfort for safety. It is possible to "Dress for the slide" while still being comfortable.
    Experience IS NOT the best teacher! Someone else's experience is the best teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Artiee View Post
    There is nothing in the saying "Dress for the slide, not for the ride" which suggests it to be an "either/or" choice, requiring you to give up comfort for safety. It is possible to "Dress for the slide" while still being comfortable.
    While we are clearly in agreement, I thought "dress for the slide, not for the ride" was simply another version of "better to sweat than bleed;" chose protection RATHER than comfort. Of course, there is now a mind-boggling array of gear available which furnishes a lot of both.
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

I know first hand...

That this is true
    Attached Images Attached Images
    J C Hughes
    "When you play, play hard, when you work don't play at all".
    Colonel Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    How about "Loud Pipes Save Lives", there's one I hate.
    I have a "Loud Shirts Save Lives" sticker on my airhead..........Rod.
    Work is the curse of the riding class

OK, this has nothing to do with safety, but my favorite bumper sticker is, EARTH FIRST! WE CAN STRIP MINE THE OTHER PLANETS LATER
    Raleigh, NC
    1600 GTL

And, how could you forget my other favorite bumper sticker:

A WASTE IS A TERRIBLE THING TO MIND
    Raleigh, NC
    1600 GTL

To further derail this thread:

Quote Originally Posted by HRbiker View Post
    OK, this has nothing to do with safety, but my favorite bumper sticker is, EARTH FIRST! WE CAN STRIP MINE THE OTHER PLANETS LATER
    I'm a fan of "Save the Earth! It's the only planet with Chocolate!"
    Be The Change You Want To See In The World

How about those "Baby on Board" stickers?
    Last edited by rinty; 08-05-2012 at 04:30 PM.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

James.A
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Jean View Post
    "Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go in harm's way."

Millie the Magnificent Airhead might not be as "flickable" as my T120r, but she dances down the road, and I consider that my first line of defense: the ability to get away from the two-ton Dinosaurs despite their huge size and lack of cranial capacity.
    I agree completely.

Quote Originally Posted by rinty View Post
    How about those "Baby on Board" stickers?
    When those things first became popular I saw a pick-up truck with a piece of 1x6 plank jammed between the body and the front of the trunk bed to the right of the rear window. Neatly duct taped to the plank was a plastic doll maybe 16" tall.

It was a Baby on (a) Board. I still think of that image whenever I see the stupid BoB signs.

Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."