Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Yet another issue with my 2012 K1600 GT

Quote Originally Posted by DougRH View Post
    I bet a ecu flash upgrade fixes it.
    I bet a trade towards a different bike fixes it. That's called a wallet flash upgrade.
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

Quote Originally Posted by ponch1 View Post
    I bet a trade towards a different bike fixes it. That's called a wallet flash upgrade.
    I am not sure if it will fix anything but I am absolutely sure the perrson making the trade will loose a ton of money!!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by motorcop@wi.rr.com View Post
    I am not sure if it will fix anything but I am absolutely sure the perrson making the trade will loose a ton of money!!

Rick
    It might be worth it for the education.
    My Motorrad

My new GT has been perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by litetouch View Post
    I purchased my 2012 K1600 in August of 2012.
    Present mileage is 3,000.

Occasionally the starter motor will not engage. The starter motor runs, but does not turn the engine.
    The dealer states that unless they can duplicate the problem, they cannot replace the starter.
    As I am a BMW Automotive Tech (since 1979), I can understand their position.
    However this is a Sport/Touring bike, emphasis on the Touring.... so what happens when I am 500 miles from home & 300 miles away from a repair facility?

Other than these issues, I really enjoy this bike.
    This sort of failure is from the spragg clutch that disengages the starter when the engine starts. Replacing the starter motor will not fix anything. Crankcase split time.

Don't let this go.

Rod

Certifiable Old Fart beemerdons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post
    This sort of failure is from the spragg clutch that disengages the starter when the engine starts. Replacing the starter motor will not fix anything. Crankcase split time.

Don't let this go.

Rod
    +1, Gunny; make that dealer replace that defective spragg clutch right NOW, go to BMW NA ASAP and report this problem to them directly!
    Don Stanley; aka Chuy Medina "El Burrito Ballerina"
    BMWMOA #24810; www.azbeemers.org/forum #89

BMW Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by beemerdons View Post
    +1, Gunny; make that dealer replace that defective spragg clutch right NOW, go to BMW NA ASAP and report this problem to them directly!
    BMW NA is exceptionally difficult to deal with when it comes to problems that cannot be replicated. Like impossible difficult. They simply won't authorize "ghost" repairs. I (meaning the dealership) ate a number of repairs over the course of time out of empathy for the customer. They have a point as if it cannot be replicated how do you know with certainty you're replacing the correct part? However, after a certain point how long are you going to abuse a customer who spent $20k for their motorcycle? It's an extremely difficult scenario for all parties involved but it's important to put yourself in the customer's shoes. More so given the mileage between dealers and the sometimes unbelievable inconvenience for the customer.

When I worked in an independent Apple shop, we had situations like this that were handled with the right amount of voltage to a particular part. That way Apple couldn't say they couldn't find the problem with the computer (if doing a depot repair) or a part.
    My Motorrad

Certifiable Old Fart beemerdons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by billy walker View Post
    BMW NA is exceptionally difficult to deal with when it comes to problems that cannot be replicated. Like impossible difficult. They simply won't authorize "ghost" repairs. I (meaning the dealership) ate a number of repairs over the course of time out of empathy for the customer. They have a point as if it cannot be replicated how do you know with certainty you're replacing the correct part? However, after a certain point how long are you going to abuse a customer who spent $20k for their motorcycle? It's an extremely difficult scenario for all parties involved but it's important to put yourself in the customer's shoes. More so given the mileage between dealers and the sometimes unbelievable inconvenience for the customer.
    litetouch: Make it a point to see if Mr. Anthony Cavanaugh is still at BMW NA in New Jersey, if you get the run around when you call (I mean that totally obnoxious/worthless Gal they usually route you to at NA) then send me an email at beemerdons@aol.com and I'll get you AC's personal email address.

Here in Arizona we have a very effective Lemon Law, a number of AZ Beemers have gotten their money back due to BMW NA shenanigans/mullarkey!
    Don Stanley; aka Chuy Medina "El Burrito Ballerina"
    BMWMOA #24810; www.azbeemers.org/forum #89

Dixie, the land of cotton

Don, how to you suggest he contact BMW NA directly?

Quote Originally Posted by beemerdons View Post
    What number should he call? The 1-800 customer "no-service" department. Sounds like it would be nice for the MOA to have a list of direct contact numbers straight to BMW NA and the regional service reps. Never mind I forgot that the MOA leadership feels that this is not important.

The MOA does not like members that say that their bike and BMW are not perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by ricoefamoso View Post
    It is obvious from some of the responses I've had in BMW Motor Cycle Owners of America that I am not "well received" yet another post from Ricoefamoso.

My dealer "fixed" my left hand signal flasher several weeks ago. Now ... my windshield will not power up or down unless I hit the button on the dash that opens the GPS mount ... to add insult to injury ... when I do just that ... I can only power the windshield down.

Imagine what this bitch is like when I am in a Florida rain storm?

Second issue ... the left side bag does no longer have a tension strap ... it broke for what ever reason. When I open it ... it drops fully down. The "fabric tension strap is gone".

True ... all of the bs is covered under warranty but ... it is an inconvenience to say the least.

Please ... think long and hard before purchasing a K1600 Gt. I just may have a LEMMON but ... I will go back to an RT in 2013.

I am over all of this.
    I suggest you call Anthony Cavanaugh, Team Leader and manager in charge of pre-litigation and bike buy-back at BMW NA. I would tell you to search the MOA for direct contact numbers to BMW NA but you will not find any on the forum because the MOA leadership does not want to ruffle the feather at BMW NA.

But since I am not one of the MOA leaders and do not mind helping a fellow member with a problem I am glad to post the contact information.

Anthony Cavanaugh is TEAM Leader in charge of pre-litigation and vehicle buy-back. His email is Anthony.cavanaugh@bmwna.com His direct line is 201-263-8215

Also, while you bike is still in warranty I would suggest contacting a Lemon Lawyer. Trust me, lawyers are the only way to get BMW NA attention.

Good luck.

You think you have problems, look at this guys problems that BMW will not fix.

David Telfer has a new 1600 that now has 3 cracked pistons after having the oil changed at his local dealer. The bike has been in the shop for 4 months waiting for BMW to ship a new engine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

BMW Never Makes a Mistake........................................... .................

You guys remember this one.....

Your buddy from college married this girl and you had "reservations" about it but you hoped for the best and wished them luck. Fast forward 5 years and you get a call that your buddy had finally had it; the central dynamic here was that she was always right and he was always wrong. He finally figured it out that the only way to get her attention was divorce court whereupon she expressed shock and couldn't for the life of her understand what was the problem.

BMW Corporate has followed this mantra for years. My first experience with this was the great thermal reactor debacle of the 70's wherein BMW M30 6 cylinder engines were cracking heads left and right because the thermal reactors were not working as advertised. Rather than admit the possibility (AKA FACT) that they had made a mistake, BMW Corporate blamed the customer. What ultimately made the difference was a class action law suit wherein they were taken to court and the judge slapped the arrogance out of them and told them in no uncertain terms that they would indeed make good on these cracked heads.

It is indeed unfortunate that BMW Corporate must be dealt with in this manner, but there's nothing like a nice court of law to detune BMW's elevated opinion of themselves.

Regards,

Will

BMW Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by espressoforyou View Post
    What number should he call? The 1-800 customer "no-service" department. Sounds like it would be nice for the MOA to have a list of direct contact numbers straight to BMW NA and the regional service reps. Never mind I forgot that the MOA leadership feels that this is not important.
    Telephone numbers for the regional service rep's are not handed out to customers. They are not there to interface with customers. That is considered a dealer responsibility even if the issue turns extreme. The rep position is meant for dealers only.

BMW Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by will3hawks View Post
    ............. What ultimately made the difference was a class action law suit wherein they were taken to court and the judge slapped the arrogance out of them and told them in no uncertain terms that they would indeed make good on these cracked heads.

It is indeed unfortunate that BMW Corporate must be dealt with in this manner, but there's nothing like a nice court of law to detune BMW's elevated opinion of themselves.

Regards,

Will
    Sorry to report this to you but the arrogance was not "slapped out of them". It continues on to this very day. I could be wrong and many folks on the forum will tell you to go to court against BMW for your own issues. However, I strongly believe going lone ranger style will typically accomplish nothing. The class action suit you speak of is an example of how getting together as a group in order to right what is wrong can accomplish things.

I'm sorry to say I really have no inkling of how many continual lawsuits would weaken their level of arrogance. This arrogant attitude comes from the top down. Until you cure the root of the cancer the rest of the body is at risk.