Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Schuberth SRC comm system.. using it..

Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    Question - does it stay connected or reconnect if something like a phone call or GPS direction announcement is made?

So - using an external BlueTooth dongle - does it autoconnect, or stay connected and let the SRC prioritize the connections?
    Yes, it autoconnects SLOWLY after the GPS or phone interrupts end. The sync light on the remote dongle flashes rapidly for about 15 seconds before the music continues.

From section 6.3 in the SRC owners manual: "however, after you terminate your call, some MP3 sources may not automatically continue but require manual re-activation."
    When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

Quote Originally Posted by OldNuke View Post
    Yes, it autoconnects SLOWLY after the GPS or phone interrupts end. The sync light on the remote dongle flashes rapidly for about 15 seconds before the music continues.

From section 6.3 in the SRC owners manual: "however, after you terminate your call, some MP3 sources may not automatically continue but require manual re-activation."
    Interesting. WebBikeWorld had a review of Firmware 3.0 as used on the Cardo unit.. (it's the same firmware we have) - with a test of a number of combinations of phone/gps/MP3 player. None of them worked as we'd like.. some had really odd behavior (switching from stereo to mono..) others never reconnected, some required powering down both the SRC and the GPS or MP3 player to reconnect.

I tried tonight, having my iPod forget all it's network connections, and deleted the pairing-link for the SRC. I then recreated it. Did the same thing on my NAV-III.

Now - sometimes - as you said - about 15-20 seconds after the GPS goes silent the music comes back on. I'd say one out of 3 times (this is 100% better then before when it never came back..) On those instances I was watching the BT connection on the iPod for the SRC, and it tried a few times, then finally reconnected. Sometimes the music also restarted by itself, other times I had to restart it.

The WebBikeWorld article also mentioned using the BT button on the SRC (it's the "A" button - that's not in the manual ANYWHERE..) to trigger a reconnect, but it was apparent that the author was uncertain if this actually did anything... Maybe I'll try that next..

BTW - I updated the iPod to iOS 5.1.1.. the behavior didn't change. In a writeup for 5.1.1 it was claimed the BT menu had been moved forward in the menu hierarchy, but that's a lie - it's still buried 3 levels deep..

Thanks for the info on the Kokkia - If I feel rich I might try that next and just shut the iPod BT off.. best price I saw one for was around $50

LINK to WEBBIKEWORLD article on Firmware 3.0: http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...ade-report.htm

UPDATE: After spending a lot of time playing with this combo (iPod-Touch G3 iOS 5.1.1, HTC Incredible-II Android phone, BMW Navigator-III) I understand why one of my riding companions with the SRC was still wearing his earphone/earplugs to listen to music. It simply doesn't work like it should.

Combinations I tried:
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    * iPod Touch G3 set for streaming music, linked to SRC
    * HTC phone linked to the NAV-III
    * Output from NAV-III sent to SRC

Results - this sometimes, but rarely worked. If the GPS is quiet - the music can stream from the iPod to the SRC. It seems to require an initial linking done from the iPod to the SRC. If the GPS decides it's time to make an announcement - the iPod BlueTooth is disconnected. Sometimes, after the GPS is quiet for 10-15 seconds, the iPod reconnects and play resumes. This is a sometimes - the more usual result is the iPod either switches to it's internal speakers, or it stops playing the music (pauses it) and never reconnects. Sometimes it reconnects after the music is paused, and to get it streaming again one must press the > play button on the iPod. The NAV-III isn't capable of passing through streaming music from the HTC phone (tried that - doesn't work.)

The controls on the SRC sometimes control the iPod Touch playback (FF, RW, next-track, last track) - but not always.

This is as close as it got to working.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    * iPod out of the scene entirely
    * HTC phone used for phone and streaming music - connected to the SRC
    * NAV-III connected to the SRC (and not connected to the phone.)

Results - not good. The HTC phone happily does work as a phone, and does stream the music to the SRC, but once the GPS makes a peep - it's disconnected and doesn't auto-reconnect. The phone switches to playing the music (and using the phone functions) on it's internal speakers. Also interestingly - the SRC gets confused about what is what.. calling the HTC phone "GPS connected" and the NAV "Mobile Phone connected".. even removing all pairings from both the SRC and all devices doesn't cure this behavior.

This wasn't useable at all, which is a shame since the controls on the SRC do control the MP3 player in the phone quite well.

* iPod out of the scene
    * HTC phone set to only stream music to a BT connection to the SRC (this is an option on the HTC BT setup for this connection.)
    * NAV-III connected to the SRC
    * HTC phone BT link to the NAV-III

This didn't work particularly well. Again the SRC got confused as to what is what (confusing the phone and GPS), and it simply disconnected things more or less at random. If the NAV-III was set to "autoconnect" it would connect/disconnect/connect/etc..etc..

Useless.

If you read the WebBikeWorld article - it notes that Scala certified the iPod-Touch and a Garmin 660 as being a working combo. The article reports less then stellar results with the certified combo, and nothing else they tried worked as claimed. These were my results also.

Conclusions: If you're buying the SRC to listen to music, and receive phone calls, and listen to GPS instructions, you're going to be disappointed. I'd wait for the next software release. It does work for two of the three purposes - GPS instructions and phone calls (even though it seems to get confused as to which is which..)

My thought of buying a NAV-IV to use it's streaming music function was also dashed on the rocks of reality by the WebBikeWorld article. That didn't work well at all for them with a Garmin 660 (probably the Garmin firmware on the NAV-IV) so I see no reason it would work better on the NAV-IV.

It appears the SRC really isn't capable of handling two BT connections at the same time. It tries to do switching between the connections (enabling one, disabling the other) without good results. If the first scenerio was reliable, it would be the answer to my needs.. but as I noted, I now understand why my friend continues to use wired earplugs for music (which has the downside of not muting for the GPS instructions.)
    Last edited by deilenberger; 09-11-2012 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Additional info
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Ed Kilner #176066
    Don, from www.cardosystems.com/SRC I gather the SRC is a G4 in disguise. I will verify after I pick up my G9 tomorrow.

Re: MP3 Was fussing over buying a bluetooth dongle for iPod for $49. But, have a Zumo 550 with an extra 2GB card. Last night I put some MP3 files on both the system memory and on the SD card. All music seems to be there and should play over to the G9. Will confirm.

Web research says even 16GB cards (slow ones probably) will work on the 550. For $16, I can get one! That will hold all maps and all my music library. And, the 550 is hard wired so all day listening would be no problem. Will let you know how it all works out.
    Ed
    2011 R1200RT Thunder Gray Metallic; 2000 Triumph 900(sold)
    http://triumphantsblog.blogspot.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by BMW Triumphant View Post
    Don, from www.cardosystems.com/SRC I gather the SRC is a G4 in disguise. I will verify after I pick up my G9 tomorrow.

Re: MP3 Was fussing over buying a bluetooth dongle for iPod for $49. But, have a Zumo 550 with an extra 2GB card. Last night I put some MP3 files on both the system memory and on the SD card. All music seems to be there and should play over to the G9. Will confirm.

Web research says even 16GB cards (slow ones probably) will work on the 550. For $16, I can get one! That will hold all maps and all my music library. And, the 550 is hard wired so all day listening would be no problem. Will let you know how it all works out.
    Ed, please DO let us know how it works for you.. It would be wonderful if all worked as claimed, but I'm pretty much resigned to it not happening.

BTW - one complaint I saw in reviews about the Garmin 660 for streaming music was apparently every time it's selected the 660 decides it must reindex all the MP3 files, and if you have a lot of them (say 16GB worth, which I do..) it can take a LONG LONG time to do, effectively freezing up the 660 until it's done. Perhaps the 550 does it better..

Ed Kilner #176066
    Don, I currently have less than 100 MP3 files loaded, just filling up the memories. If you look at Zumo forums, you will find a utility to put only 20 files in a folder. That is supposed to fix the problem. Since I have 11GB of music, I will be looking at that utility to avoid the delay.

We will see, hopefully tomorrow evening or Thursday.
    Ed

Ed Kilner #176066

12 MP3s per folder Program

Get it here: http://zumo.sidecar-interactive.com/ Please note I have not yet used this program.

Good forum here: http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php?topic=14023.0
    Ed

Whee!! May have an answer to the iPod reconnect problem.

Got back from a ride to the gym today (took the long route there, about 20 miles since the gym is within walking distance from my house.. but I digress) and tried something with the iPod/SRC/Navigator-III combo.

I tried connecting the iPod via BlueTooth to the SRC last, after the Navigator-III showed it connected to the SRC and after the NAV-III showed it connected to my phone.

I then sat on the bike playing with it a bit. I had music streaming from the iPod to the SRC. As expected - when I pressed any button on the GPS, the music immediately cut out and I heard whatever the GPS wanted me to (in this case "Butternut Road ahead...")

On the iPod the music app immediately paused playback, and the Bluetooth disconnected from the SRC.

When the GPS was done talking to me, I tried pressing what Schuberth calls the MP3 button on the helmet (it's Button-A, but that is nowhere in the manual that I could find, I found it in a Cardo manual..) One press, and as I watched the Music app restarted streaming, and the Bluetooth reconnected with the SRC and I had music in my ears again. Cool!

I tried this about a dozen times. It worked each and every time.

Go figure. Will report back after a ride tomorrow with a report on useage on the road..

Ed Kilner #176066

Thanks for button A tip

Got to try my G9 with Richard's SRC yesterday.

His iPhone would disconnect as you described. Have told him your tip. Hope it works for him.

My Zumo 550 streams the mp3 audio, but treats it as higher priority than intercom and won't let me trigger the intercom or get R's calls. Useless. But, Bluetooth audio is lower priority, so the new Nano w/Bluetooth should work...
    Ed

I got to use it while riding today.. and in general, it worked well. The music would either start streaming all by itself after a GPS announcement (what I would expect would happen) or start if I held button A (MP3 button - found it on a diagram in the instructions) for the 2nd beep.

Only problems were - several times I managed a combo of button presses that sent the helmet off to neverland (despite being on..) Nothing beeped or responded. No GPS, no iPod.. The A and B buttons were doing a fast red/blue combined flash.. I suspect I got it into Intercom-Pairing mode somehow. It required shutting it down and restarting it (then doing the dance with all connections before the iPod connection) to get it working again.

I'm thinking a chart of the possible functions of each button and every combo of buttons would be useful. Right now the instructions are by desired function ("press A and B to do this.") I think a chart of "If you press A for 3 seconds while in standby mode - this happens" "If you press A for 6 seconds while in MP3 mode - this happens" would be a useful thing. I suspect it might be easier to remember that way (at least for me..) When I have time I might put one together.

Be interested in how it works out for your friend..

'm thinking a chart of the possible functions of each button and every combo of buttons would be useful. Right now the instructions are by desired function ("press A and B to do this.") I think a chart of "If you press A for 3 seconds while in standby mode - this happens" "
    That's a great Idea! If you or someone could whip one up nicely and have it for a copy and print here I for one would be much appreciating! Stick that user guide in the tank bag window.

I just got the unit and find things like button location with gloves on hard to feel for and the FM receiver IMO is lousy with static. The speaker quality with MP3 is very good. Now I am just waiting for a call while riding or pair up with a like cardio user for the rest!

Ed Kilner #176066

Zumo 550 issues

Tried Samsung SGH-369 phone and iPad to Zumo. Both must be too modern. Zumo shows screens temporarily saying Connected and Disconnected. They cycle endlessly.

Useless. At least I know it's not the G9 because it was not connected at the time of the experiment.

Have not heard back from Richard about button A reconnecting iPhone. Will advise.
    Ed

Ed Kilner #176066

Phone now ok

I think it is...will try it in the car...

Deleted device info on Zumo and phone. Did a clean pairing, with phone visibility on this time. Got a good connection without the cycling messages on the GPS screen.

Also deleted all music from zumo before doing the pairing. Was not going to use it as it prevented me from using the intercom as described above.

Now, if Richard can use the A button trick, total success! After I get a bluetooth Nano, of course.
    Ed

Ed Kilner #176066

Confirmed - with a twist

When I first did this in the car, with phone in hand, I noticed the phone asked for permission to connect audio to the GPS. Yes, said I and all was well.

Second time, phone was in my belt case, and thus, did not see the audio request. Connect / Disconnect was back, but when I uncased the phone and allowed audio, all was well.

Hope this might help someone...

I have no idea why this extra step is necessary, or even a good idea.
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by BMW Triumphant View Post
    Hope this might help someone...

I have no idea why this extra step is necessary, or even a good idea.
    If it's an Android phone, and it's like other Androids.. you might try digging down to the connection on the Bluetooth configuration menu, then pressing it and holding it.

On mine 3 options show up:

• Connect
    • Unpair
    • Options

If you selection Options (or if I do..) I'm given the choice of:
    • Connect - this should happen automatically, so this can stay unchecked.
    • Profiles:
    • Phone (use for phone audio)
    • Media (use for media audio)
  15. Check off "Phone (user for phone audio)

16. In my case I didn't want it to stream media (NAV-III has no idea on media), so that's unchecked, but I did want it to use the connection for phone audio - so that's checked.

Mine then connects automatically (provided the automatic connection is enabled on the GPS..)

HTH,
Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Guys. I have the G-9 unit on my Schubert C3. I have it bluetoothed to my Samsung Galaxy SIII. I had the same problems others have stated - cannot hear phone conversations with earplugs in. So I replaced the speakers in the helmet with a plug that allows me to plug in earbuds. Mine is the Klipsch S4 unit, which is noise isolating. Great sound. The G9 unit comes with speakers permanently wired to it. But I found a lady in Arizona who takes the unit apart, removes the headphone wires, installs a jack on the unit, and puts a male jack on the speakers. Now I can choose to use either the speakers or the earbuds.

With the earbuds, you need an inline volume control as now the G9 is so loud you cannot get the volume low enough without a seperate control. She also sells the volume control which I plug into the G9. Then plug the earbuds into the volume control. Now I have no problems hearing phone or music. I play both MP3's from the phone and iHeart Radio from the internet with no problems.

I am now going to work on getting the Nav IV into the mix. I know that it does not have anywhere as nice mp3 player as the Samsung S3. So All I want from the GPS is voice instructions.

I'm also interested in getting a voice recorder tied in. I use the GoPro HD with remote. But I would like to be able to input voice into the video while I'm riding without always linking it directly to the video. It is a pain to seperate the video from the audio when mixing a movie. But the vox on my voice recorder keeps the recorder going all the time when a mic is placed in the helmet. I'm thinking I need a remote control for the voice recorder. But that is not what this thread is about.

Will let you all know how the Nav IV connection goes. If your interested in the earbuds conversion, drop me a line. It costs $48 for everything and she has fast turn around service.
    '09 BMW 1200 GSA, 2013 BMW 700GS, 2000 Goldwing SE, '09' V Star 950, '09 Honda Rebel,
    '77 Honda 750A. Holding at six til I get new garage built - need more room for more bikes!

• Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast